BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Article: How to Choose Street and Track Brake Pads

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM #1 (permalink)
JRitt

Gallery: 0

Default Article: How to Choose Street and Track Brake Pads
Hi,
I wanted to post a link to an article I recently wrote about how to choose street and track brake pads. I know this has always been a popular topic on this forum and others, and one that creates a lot of confusion.

This is NOT an article promoting a specific brand or brands. It is intended to lay out the thought processes and variables that go into choosing a pad for any street or track condition.

As a representative for some of the top brake manufacturers in the aftermarket for the past 7 years, I’ve had the chance to address this topic in countless conversations with customers online, over the phone, or in person. Until now though, I’ve never had the time to pull my thoughts together and present them in a cohesive manner.

My hope is that this article will prevent some of the repetitive “what are the best brake pads?” questions we’ve all seen a million times. With a fundamental understanding of this topic in hand, we can hopefully elevate future conversations on this topic to a higher, more productive level.

I’d post the article here in its entirety, but it would probably take me 20 posts!

Thanks and enjoy:http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ose-brake-pads

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Just bringing this article back up to the top because it sure does have a lot of good information for those who are looking to understand the choices we have and the ones we can potentially make.

This includes me, a new tracker, a new enthusiast, who is learning the ins and outs of car components and what we can do to a car to track it whilst maintaining a streetable car.

Sorry if anyone gets offended that I bumped a 4 year old thread. Please do chime in if there is outdated information.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

No offense taken. Read this article a while back. Skimmed through it this time. Good refresher. Need semi-metallic/sintered pads myself.

Considering these at the moment:
Hawk DTC-60, DTC-70, or HT-10
Pagid RS29
Endless ME-20 if they exist for my 2011 135i
Ferrodo DS3000
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0