04-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #23
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbuler View Post
So why did I sell the M2 and got the 1M? In a nutshell, the M2 did not make my smile. It did not make me sweat. And gave me no goosebumps…
Well, that's because "goosepimple" came standard on the 1M, whereas I don't believe it was offered on the M2. See 0:38 below...

Side note: My wife and I met Dr. Kay Segler during our European Delivery and he signed our 1M. Super nice, genuine guy and a total car enthusiast.

Thanks for your writeup sirbuler and welcome!
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1209.00
      04-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #24
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
Quote:
So why did I sell the M2 and got the 1M? In a nutshell, the M2 did not make my smile. It did not make me sweat. And gave me no goosebumps…
Well, that's because "goosepimple" came standard on the 1M, whereas I don't believe it was offered on the M2. See 0:38 below...

Side note: My wife and I met Dr. Kay Segler during our European Delivery and he signed our 1M. Super nice, genuine guy and a total car enthusiast.

Thanks for your writeup sirbuler and welcome!
That's really special! Where did he sign it? Engine cover I assume?
      04-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #25
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

Was it under the hood/bonnet?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #26
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Sorry for the late reply and even more sorry to

He signed ("For Misti and Chris - Kay Segler") inside the passenger side door frame. There is lots of space there and it stays well protected from light, heat and the elements. Still looking great 5+ years on...

Dr. Segler is a super nice guy.

Appreciate 4
ayao635.50
Yeineken1299.00
Tornado1M1209.00
seis-speed2430.50
      04-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #27
RaceCarDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB 6 speed

I own both. I love my M2 but prefer the 1M. You can't beat the 1M for a visceral experience and steering feel.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2017, 01:28 AM   #28
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

The 1M is man and machine as one!

M did not applied the same dosage on the M2/M3/M4...M2 came close but still not quite...
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      01-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #29
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M white

The 1M driving experience is like nothing of the other M cars. I have owned M5, M3, M6. I also owned a diesel e30 4 door while in Europe and the 1M gives me the same grin as that one did.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #30
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
As a 1M and M2 owner... I agree with most of your statements (and disagree with a few too!)- my comments below (of note, I have not driven my 1M since picking up the M2 - still in storage, so going from memory )

Quote:
1) Steering feel: my personal point of view is that the M2 steering feel is worse than my wife’s 2012 Honda Odyssey minivan. It was the biggest reason I wanted to get rid of the M2 just after a couple of weeks of ownership! It made me feel very disconnected from the road. Such a fun killer. Big win here for the 1M, with an outstanding steering feel.
Pretty much agree - the soft deadspot on center of the M2 is maddening. However, once past that, it turns so nice - dare I say nicer than the 1M? But/and your comment is about steering "feel" and even though I think the M2 turns better/nicer, it still does not have the "feel".

Quote:
2) Seating position, cabin feel: the M2 makes me feel I am seating in a big car. I prefer the smaller, simpler and more intimate cabin feel of the 1M. I feel more in control, more connected to the car and the road. Also, the 1M manual seats are just amazing!
Hmmm.... I always feel like I'm sitting up too high in the 1M. The M2 seats and position are just about perfect for me.
and...
Each and every time I get in the 1M I look up to open the sunroof (which of course does not exist). I've not done that once in the M2. Can't explain - short of saying "I like seating position and cabin feel of the M2 so much more"

Quote:
3) Noise: M2 engine sound is pretty damn good with the stock exhaust. However, cabin noise was awful. Too much of a fake kind of drone, at any speed. I have the Akrapovic slip-on on the 1M so I am not able to compare to the stock exhaust. No drone in my 1M, no fake noise in the cabin, alleluia!
My 1M is totally stock, so I get that drone at ... well I forget the RPM... 3,500? Kind of annoying - and yes, there is a fix of course (N55 mid pipe?), but I'm not messing with it. The M2 on the other hand, fake sound and all, is simply wonderful!

Quote:
4) Gear Shifter: M2 shifter is too rubbery, with lack of a mechanical feel. Again, the 1M makes me feel more connected with the car.
I need to drive them back to back, have not noticed this too much

Quote:
5) M2 Auto rev matching. Could not stand the auto rev feature of the M2. Always there, every time. I had to disconnect the stability control 100% to get rid of it. Why???
I FRIKIN HATE THIS "FEATURE". Hate, Hate, hate. WHY WHY WHY (Ok, I know why, to save the clutch life - but crap, BMW doesn't even cover that anymore as part of the maintenance - so why do they care?)

On that note... the clutch sucks too. Such a late pickup. I'm almost 3 months into ownership and I'm still caught off guard sometimes when trying to take off from a light.

Quote:
I am so happy of not having the i-drive and the Navigator in my 1M. The dash is so much cleaner and lets me focus on driving. I use my i-phone and Waze for navigation.
I can't imagine having either without iDrive. And yes, I use Waze - but I love the iDrive in my 1M. Yea, I still listen to music and make phone calls and it is just so much easier to do (in terms of seeing who you are calling - with or without voice and selecting your music choices).

Quote:
Steering wheel buttons: I like to be able to increase/decrease the music volume with my left hand thumb, while I use my right hand to shift gears etc. M2 volume buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel, and you get the cruise control buttons on the left side. Did not like that.
BMW made this change across the lineup when they moved the cruise control to the steering wheel (from the stalk). I agree - it really sucks. If I have my hand on the shifter, and want to change volume or music, I can't. Stupid. Unless of course you are in a right hand drive car. Damn those people - now they have it perfect

Quote:
M2 has a more powerful engine with a more linear power delivery. The M2 is super easy to drive fast. If I tracked the car and my goal was to go as fast as possible, then the M2 would be a better choice.

But my goal is to have fun in my daily-drive and week-end canyon drives, and the 1M gives me loads of fun there, it is really a special car. Way more than the M2.
The 1M feels faster (from what I remember). I love the back end kicking out a little when I hit 2nd. It might be the whole visceral thing, but every time I get on the M2 I think "and this is faster than the 1M?"

At the end of the day, I really love my M2 (came from a 650 Gran Coupe). It is so much smaller and easier to drive and finally, after so many years, I feel like I'm part of the car when driving. From a DD perspective, it is wonderful (gripes aside).
Doug. He has the manual seats that sit quite a bit lower. About 1 3/8" lower. Different seating position then power seats. Love your notes just wanted to clarify that his manual seats are different than 1M power ones.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992541.50
      01-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #31
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I was ready to buy M2 and was #1 at my dealer but backed out and got a second 1M instead for similar reasons. M2 is a great car for sure but there is something special about the 1M. I just received an email from the gentleman that sold me his 1M. He bought an M2 after. He is not satisfied either and is most likely going to trade it in. It's not a put down on the M2, it's just affirmation that the 1M has some qualities that some of us appreciate that you cannot get in the M2. I find the simple 1M cockpit to be classicly beautiful and effective. You cannot buy an M2 without iDrive, blip, screen etc.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2018, 08:05 PM   #32
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

I went from 135is power seats (biggest interior gripe from that car) to the manual seats in my 1M and they are SOO (SOOOO) much better. I finally feel like I’m sitting IN the car instead of on it.

One of, if not the single biggest, reasons I searched long and hard for a stripper (that last part of that sentence though....).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #33
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
Sorry for the late reply and even more sorry to

He signed ("For Misti and Chris - Kay Segler") inside the passenger side door frame. There is lots of space there and it stays well protected from light, heat and the elements. Still looking great 5+ years on...

Dr. Segler is a super nice guy.

He's my hero! I would love to have him autograph my poster or
Something. He gets it! I think he's with mini now.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      01-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #34
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I have a 1M (on a lift in my garage right now as it is not driven in winter), and have traded my 135i Coupe towards a new M2, to be delivered in late March.

I don't expect the M2 to be as good as the 1M, however I will be able to drive it with impunity, since it is replaceable, not something I can say for the 1M.

I do think I will prefer it to the 135i Coupe I traded in towards it; perhaps not by enough to justify the cost of the changeover, but then life is short and you can't take it with you.
      01-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #35
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:

Things I preferred in the M2:
The frontal collision alert with auto-break system (very useful in daily driving). By the way, both cars are very comfortable for daily driving.
I have the "front assist" in my golf r. It kept failing when i was driving in the snow, same for the parking sensors. Massive warning on the dash at low speeds, the rear camera kept going on and off on the display screen so have the parking sensors, it drove me nuts.

Had to stop several times and wipe the nose, front bumper and rear bumper with a microfiber cloth to remove any sludge, salt and snow and turn the car off and back on to remove those warnings and beeps.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #36
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Having driven both spiritedly on a backroad I must say I prefer the 1M over the M2 in almost every way. The 1M feels more special, has much more communicative steering, a more spartan interior and a better exhaust note in my opinion.

Power delivery in both feels similar, and my gripe there is that an S54, S65 or similar NA engine would make the car simply divine. That being said, I do prefer the seats on the M2 to the stripper 1M I drove.

Both are incredible cars for a daily driver, but the M2 never felt special whereas the 1M had that going for it in spades.
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #37
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I have a 1M (on a lift in my garage right now as it is not driven in winter), and have traded my 135i Coupe towards a new M2, to be delivered in late March.

I don't expect the M2 to be as good as the 1M, however I will be able to drive it with impunity, since it is replaceable, not something I can say for the 1M.

I do think I will prefer it to the 135i Coupe I traded in towards it; perhaps not by enough to justify the cost of the changeover, but then life is short and you can't take it with you.
We'll be looking forward to your impressions!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #38
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I felt the exact same way when I was given a brand new (<30 miles) 230i X-Drive while my 135i was getting some service done. The 2 series didn't feel special at all. The steering was atrocious. It didn't excite me whatsoever. It was boring. I'm sure the M2 is a far more engaging and exciting car than the 230i, but as far as my experiences go- 1 series>>>2series. And the sticker price of that 230i was $45,000. What a joke.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #39
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

So, this is an older thread that I came across and felt it really resonated with how I felt about the 1M and M2 before I ultimately ended up with my 1M.

I actually test drove the M2 on 3 separate occasions.....I had been planning on getting an M2.....well, that was the plan anyway. However, after each test drive I became less convinced that this was the car I wanted. I just kept trying maybe thinking it was me or I'm having a bad day or whatever. Each subsequent test drive drove me further away from wanting one.

For me it was the lack of connection and feedback I was getting from the M2. I was just disappointed and did not get that big smile on my face. I mean I wanted to love it. I just didn't? I got out of the car and was just like "it's ok"

The feeling and reaction I personally received after my first drive of the 1M was immediate. I literally knew 3 minutes into driving it that I wanted one....I was just hooked. Sometimes it's just a feeling

Don't want to step on any toes here.... M2 is still a great car....but, I think most of you all agree the 1M has that special something.
Appreciate 3
Cavpilot2k1023.00
abb602718.00
seis-speed2430.50
      11-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #40
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

My M2 is growing on me; maybe that's because my 1M is up on a lift in my garage, not to be driven until next spring. It's a good solid car, and fun to drive with a MT, in spite of the annoying rev matching and EPS. From a luxury car standpoint, it bests the 1M.

Plus I don't worry about it at all, which I can't say of my 1M.
seis-speed2430.50
      11-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #41
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
My M2 is growing on me; maybe that's because my 1M is up on a lift in my garage, not to be driven until next spring. It's a good solid car, and fun to drive with a MT, in spite of the annoying rev matching and EPS. From a luxury car standpoint, it bests the 1M.

You hit the nail with the hammer on that last comment! Agree 1000%

The 1M is rare and we Baby it probably more than we should....I didn't go into it thinking that is what I was going to do as well. But, with only 8314 on it when I took ownership......and such a nice example of the car....I decided to keep true to the original owners creed.

Sometimes I wish I just got one with 40-50k miles and then just drove it as a daily. So, I definitely do envy you guys that do that. Right now I'm planning on taking her out one last time and then putting her away pretty much from December to beginning of April 😭
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2430.50
duder13767.00
      11-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #42
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:

Having owned both, once you get back into the 1M and get it out on a B-road....
You will again realize how much more visceral the 1M is. The 1M is much more engaging and fun to drive, and it requires more attention when pushing it, IMO.
M2 feels a little stale in comparison, easy to drive fast, but less rewarding.

I do agree with the not caring point. My Focus RS grows on me daily, because I treat it like a car, not any type of investment, that is the value of care free driving. I barely wash the car....Same with my F80.

The one downside (for me) to the 1M is feeling guilty about milage. I love it so much, that I want it to run forever, so I am guilty of babying it a little too much.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1209.00
      11-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #43
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post

The 1M is rare and we Baby it probably more than we should....I didn't go into it thinking that is what I was going to do as well. But, with only 8314 on it when I took ownership......and such a nice example of the car....I decided to keep true to the original owners creed.

Sometimes I wish I just got one with 40-50k miles and then just drove it as a daily. So, I definitely do envy you guys that do that. Right now I'm planning on taking her out one last time and then putting her away pretty much from December to beginning of April ��
Yeah, I was talking to another 1M owner about this recently, and it's the reason I bought a plain old 135i with modification plans. Of course, I would have spent the $10K extra for the 1M when new, but I wasn't willing to pay collector prices for a used car that I'm going to pound on. I also noticed this in the Porsche club. The guys who've owned their air-cooled 911s for decades are suddenly tracking them less and less, because the value is making them nervous. It's a double edged sword.

Of course, I'm sure if I was in a particular income bracket, I'd still buy a 1M without worry and just drive it into the ground, or maybe buy two or whatever.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1209.00
      11-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #44
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post

Sometimes I wish I just got one with 40-50k miles and then just drove it as a daily. So, I definitely do envy you guys that do that. Right now I'm planning on taking her out one last time and then putting her away pretty much from December to beginning of April ��
Yeah, I was talking to another 1M owner about this recently, and it's the reason I bought a plain old 135i with modification plans. Of course, I would have spent the $10K extra for the 1M when new, but I wasn't willing to pay collector prices for a used car that I'm going to pound on. I also noticed this in the Porsche club. The guys who've owned their air-cooled 911s for decades are suddenly tracking them less and less, because the value is making them nervous. It's a double edged sword.

Of course, I'm sure if I was in a particular income bracket, I'd still buy a 1M without worry and just drive it into the ground, or maybe buy two or whatever.
You shouldn't care what collectors or "enthusiasts" think. Buy one and drive the shit out of it...that's what they're made for. $60k is still cheaper than a new M4 and the 1M is waaaaaay more fun to drive and own.

I actually feel sorry for people who buy cars and never drive them...the ones with super low miles I feel like they've never even enjoyed the car....would suck to value condition over living in the moment. A product of "thinking too much" IMO.
Tornado1M1209.00
FIRSTM143.50