05-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #134
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
I was thinking about the Recaro Pole Position but they are solid racing seats. I am not ready to give up access to the rear seats with a pair of those. See my explanation above.

Actually I hace already talked to Harold about this. I think that may have been his incentive for offering those. I wonder if he can get the BMW Performance seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #135
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW 1M View Post
I was thinking about the Recaro Pole Position but they are solid racing seats. I am not ready to give up access to the rear seats with a pair of those. See my explanation above.

Actually I hace already talked to Harold about this. I think that may have been his incentive for offering those. I wonder if he can get the BMW Performance seats.
How about Recaro Sportster CS's? These are basically the BMW Performance Seats, but without the side air bags.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #136
bikeboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: l

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
Thanks for the write up AW 1M. I like that you were honest about how you felt about the 1M overall. Good and bad..Especially compared to the caymen.
I guess I wonder how many people out there, will actually (and honestly) say, "I bought this car without test driving it (because you really can't), and I am not happy with it?"
I would imagine that this car is similar in ergonomics, feel etc, like the current M3?
I also mention this is because, I once purchased a MV Agusta SPR (limited edition of only 300 bikes worldwide -matt black) from a dealership out of state. Not one dealership in my state even had one or could get one (very rare exotic sport bike). I purchased it without test riding it first. Got it delivered. Rode it for awhile, and it was the worst purchase I had ever made. It felt like they weighed it down with a ton of bricks, lacked power and handling etc etc. It was literally pitiful (compared to my R1 which was a 1/3 the price).
Turned around and sold the SPR the next day.
Back in the day, I bought my 1 without test driving a manual...they only ordered the cars for inventory with paddles. I hate paddles! But, then now I don't care for the manual shifter either. But I'm fixing that next week!

BIKEBOY
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #137
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
How about Recaro Sportster CS's? These are basically the BMW Performance Seats, but without the side air bags.
That looks like a possibility. Do you have them in your store to sit in?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #138
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
My one disappointment that is becoming more noticeable with time are the seats. With the handling ability of this car, they just don't hold me in place the way I'd like.
Thank you for the update. I am still excited to see it on Saturday. My buddy and I are leaving at 5:30 AM from San Diego.

Now one of the my big gripes with the 135 was that they never offered cloth yet it was geared to club racers, etc. according to BMWNA at the time. They only offered leather or leatherete. That was a croc in my opinion.

Then with the 1M, to really add insult, they add Alcantara everywhere, except where it actually helps...the seat inserts! I cannot understand why they didn't do that.

The Audis have these beautiful seats with Alcantara or my friend has a WRX with suede inserts. It is outstanding stuff.

On the M3 they have speed cloth, but it's abrasive so I am actually thinking of having either car redone with Alcantara inserts. I was going to post something for recommendations. I am sure Los Angeles has better upholstery shops than San Diego. You might consider that instead new seats.

I got a quote in San Diego to redo my leatherette seats in Leather and non-brand alcantara stuff for $1400 total. yours would be less because you already have leather, just replace the center section. Since BMW uses real Alcantra, you can just get the color code to match the dash, shift boot etc. and buy the Alcantara and have it put in.

It would look awesome, take care of the sliding make it cooler in the SoCal summer and it won't break or disable anything.

Just check out the Audi Interiors.

IB

Last edited by nachob; 05-12-2011 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #139
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I love Recaro seats but these models are pretty dedicated sporting seats and can get tiring on long trips. I like to take road trips and have to shift a bit in the seat as time goes. These type of seats don't let you move at all and it can get tiring, especially on passengers in my opinion. Just something to think about.

IB
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #140
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The reality is that the stock seats are fine for probably 95% of my driving. So I am still conflicted as to if is is really worth it to spend for top line seats. It's not the cosmetics I care about, it's how well the seats hold you in place. The RS4 seats above are nice but don't appear any more supportive than the 1M's. I wouldn't spend to recover the current seats. I would spend the money for more supportive seats.

The most comfortable seats I have spent any time in are the Porsche Sports Buckets. If I could put those in the 1M, that's probably what I would do.

Wild Bill and I plan to be at Cars and Coffee on Saturday. So we will have Black and White 1M's side by side to compare. See you there.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #141
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
That looks like a possibility. Do you have them in your store to sit in?
Yes, we sure do. It's actually my office chair!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #142
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I love Recaro seats but these models are pretty dedicated sporting seats and can get tiring on long trips. I like to take road trips and have to shift a bit in the seat as time goes. These type of seats don't let you move at all and it can get tiring, especially on passengers in my opinion. Just something to think about.

IB
I have actually found the opposite. I find the more supportive seats are more comfortable on long trips. They hold you in place so you can relax. The more relaxed, the less tension. My wife and I spent 3000 miles in the Porsche Sports Bucket seats (below) over two weeks. She was the passenger the whole time and now that is the only car she wants to take on long trips.
Attached Images

Last edited by AW 1M; 05-12-2011 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #143
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have actually found the opposite. I find the more supportive seats are more comfortable on long trips. They hold you in place so you can relax. The more relaxed I am, the less tension. My wife and I spent 3000 miles in the Porsche Sports Buckets over two weeks. She was the passenger the whole time and now that is the only car she wants to take on long trips.
Good point.... Maybe I need to lose some weight! : )
Can't go wrong with Recaros. Would love to hear how they work out. I know I am going to have the same gripe about moving around in the seat. It stresses me out having to keep pushing off my left foot.

My wife has a 2008 GTI that we paid $24K and it has the most comfortable, supportive OEM seats I have even been in....of course they are plaid and funky but extremely comfortable and no sliding around, but those Porsche seats look amazing. We will see you up there.

Last edited by nachob; 05-12-2011 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #144
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wild Bill and I plan to be at Cars and Coffee on Saturday. So we will have Black and White 1M's side by side to compare. See you there.
Anyone out there in SoCal have a Valencia Orange they can bring to Cars and Coffee this Saturday in Irvine? It would be off-the-charts to have all three colors there.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #145
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyone out there in SoCal have a Valencia Orange they can bring to Cars and Coffee this Saturday in Irvine? It would be off-the-charts to have all three colors there.
Agreed, great photo shoot opportunity
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #146
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Would racing harnesses solve the problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #147
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

I still can not believe the bone-heads at BMW have not done this themselves!

I really hope you guys get all three car colors together on Saturday!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #148
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Would racing harnesses solve the problem?
A racing harness cannot be fitted to the stock seats. If it could, I think it would be too restrictive for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #149
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Bimmerfest is Saturday, Im not saying there will be a VO there, but Id think people would be more inclined to go to that.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #150
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have actually found the opposite. I find the more supportive seats are more comfortable on long trips. They hold you in place so you can relax. The more relaxed, the less tension. My wife and I spent 3000 miles in the Porsche Sports Bucket seats (below) over two weeks. She was the passenger the whole time and now that is the only car she wants to take on long trips.
I love the Porsche Sports Buckets as well. Here it is from a Cayman S at our shop with red stitching.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #151
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Bimmerfest is Saturday, Im not saying there will be a VO there, but Id think people would be more inclined to go to that.
Cars and Coffee is usually done by 9 AM..right. I don't think it would conflict?

What time is Bimmerfest? Where is it?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #152
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Cars and Coffee is usually done by 9 AM..right. I don't think it would conflict?

What time is Bimmerfest? Where is it?
9am-3pm at the Rosebowl... time wise its not a conflict but would you want to drive from Irvine to Pasadena and attend a 2nd car show? Maybe

BF is once a year and its BMW specific.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #153
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
9am-3pm at the Rosebowl... time wise its not a conflict but would you want to drive from Irvine to Pasadena and attend a 2nd car show? Maybe

BF is once a year and its BMW specific.
That's a lot of driving, but if there will be an Orange one at Rosebowl, would probably do it because this is killing me. Been waiting too long to see one in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #154
Blk07335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Here is HP's 1 Series M Coupe!
Harold, congrats!
Appreciate 0