BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #331
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
there seem to be a few vids on that day or close, is this the same day

you guys must destroy your left hand front tyres
Doesn't anyone have videos where I am not getting passed?
      04-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #332
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Ha Ha, i got no idea whose videos they were they just appeared after watching the first one. reminds me of the first 10 times i went to the track.

Your wheels and brakes look amazing in the vids and picture!

Last edited by 05C4R; 04-04-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #333
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
CMS or Harry's lap timer, or some other smartphone app maybe.
I use harry's lap timer with a bluetooth gps receiver. Compared to the official lap timing it's generally accurate to .02 of a second.
And it will take video and overlay the data
like so
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #334
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
I had an instructor on all the way. Just to clarify the TBL was the theoretical best lap, basically putting all the best sector times together. BL was 1:03.167 and the extra person should cost about 1 sec per lap. Including Dave's easy laps and was in the 59s, so I know the car is at least at 59s car if not 58s. My aim in the next session would be to get inside 1:01s.

The delta between BL and TBL is 2 seconds that is quite high, as regular "trackies" , seems to have the TBL and BL within 0.3. I know it is sometimes a fallacy to put splits together and say this what the car is capable of but I have enough data to suggest otherwise - basically my times tend to be ruined by random sectors, and there are enough data on fast back to back sectors so that I know that the fastest sector time is valid as it doesn't always follow a bad sector.

My braking is an issue as they are very inconsistent in pressure, I was also late in throttle not very smooth in my throttle. Steering was quite random too that I have to fix.

Max speed was 185.9 on the straight, and that was when I hold the 3rd pretty much to the red line (that's 0.3 second faster than most of my other laps) and maximum power is between 6000-6300 at IIRC 265kw derived from the data at the wheels. All my other laps max power was in the 250s when I didn't hold the 3rd for longer. That is assuming 1700kg weight, 1M Cd, and the 135i frontal surface area. I wonder if there's a weight bridge somewhere so I can get more accurate figures for the weight of car.

I am using an Aim SOLO DL it connects up to the ECU, so you can get all sort of info with your lap times. It is GPS enabled, and you can plot the track, split the track up into sectors etc, look at your braking pressure, accelerator positions, steering inputs etc.

I will get some screen shots once I got home, so you can see the information it can give you. I feel that I can gain another couple of seconds if I have brought my laptop with me as what Dave was trying to say make much more sense to me once I see it on a graph. I think it is really a good way to improve your driving, as straight away, I can identify my problem - which is turn 5,6,7 - especially 7 where I am coming on to the throttle way too late.
Pretty good if turns 5,6,7 are your problem. I personally found turns 1 and 2 far and away the most time robbing as the late apex on both is a bit but clenching.

I am quite impressed with the e diff on the 135 as it doesn't appear to give up much to LSD equipped cars. Not sure if I would change it out until I hear of some demonstrable time advantages.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #335
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

If you run good tyres i wouldn't bother changing the diff, but on a 135i, definitely consider KW V3, i'm a big fan.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #336
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I use harry's lap timer with a bluetooth gps receiver. Compared to the official lap timing it's generally accurate to .02 of a second.
And it will take video and overlay the data
like so
Nice vid, looks cool on track at night! Which mount are you using for the iPhone please?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #337
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
Pretty good if turns 5,6,7 are your problem. I personally found turns 1 and 2 far and away the most time robbing as the late apex on both is a bit but clenching.

I am quite impressed with the e diff on the 135 as it doesn't appear to give up much to LSD equipped cars. Not sure if I would change it out until I hear of some demonstrable time advantages.
I think I slow down too much for the turns and tend to just coast between the turns and need a later turn in at 7 and not early enough on the throttle - that means losing time on the straight. Most of my laps including my best lap are around 1.5 seconds from my best time for that sector.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #338
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Just saw this.
Perhaps get the mods to move the vids to a track day vids section or have them removed

If it's any consolation you can cease practicing bualking, as it appears you have this mastered.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #339
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
Just saw this.
Perhaps get the mods to move the vids to a track day vids section or have them removed

If it's any consolation you can cease practicing bualking, as it appears you have this mastered.
You know that was I was paying myself out, and I hope you were not serious . Well, at least everyone else seems to have got that and had a laugh.

Last edited by sparoz; 04-07-2013 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #340
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You know that was I was paying myself out, and I hope you were not serious . Well, at least everyone else seems to have got that and had a laugh.
LOL i had a laugh, my first track days were way worse, thank god every half arsed hero didn't have a go pro back then
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #341
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_UK View Post
Nice vid, looks cool on track at night! Which mount are you using for the iPhone please?
It's a RAM iphone mount I stick on my dash.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #342
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

You reckon this will fit in the car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #343
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Dare I ask how much? $12k?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #344
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Dare I ask how much? $12k?
Just need to find out who makes those seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #345
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

They look very nice but yeah, they don't look like any recaros or sparcos that I've seen. I want to get a pair of fixed back buckets too. I was thinking of maybe the Sparco Evo or Pro 2000.
      04-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #346
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
They look very nice but yeah, they don't look like any recaros or sparcos that I've seen. I want to get a pair of fixed back buckets too. I was thinking of maybe the Sparco Evo or Pro 2000.
Doesn't seem to be on the Recaro site even for OEM. The beauty of these seat is it still comes with the airbag, carbon construction and it still reclines forward so there is access to the rear seat. Heard they are very hard to get in and out of though.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #347
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I can only imagine how much that will cost... A fixed bucket without all the extras in carbon costs about $2500+ each and the BMWP recaros with airbag, reclining etc cost about $2000+ each. I reckon for those, you'd be looking at at least $6-7k per seat if you're lucky lol.

They do look great with heaps of support and all those functions however they might not shave off too much weight.

I sat in some BMWP ones at the last dyno day at Advan and they (Recaro Sportster CS) didn't impress me too much. They look amazing but they seemed less comfortable than the M Sports and didn't seem that much more supportive because of the lack of adjustable lateral support. Also, they were too wide for me, not just around the trunk but also the shoulders. Might be different when driving around though.

Do you know how much your seats weigh? Also, where did you find them?
      04-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #348
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I found a bit of info.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...saletequipment

These are fibreglass versions with a carbon fibre surface and weigh 39lbs each. They also cost $7,000 per seat.

I'm not sure if the ones you posted are full carbon throughout but if that's the cost for just fibreglass, it's possible that the carbon ones might cost upwards of $10,000 each...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #349
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Those look tough! Do it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #350
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

wow, thats like putting a marble staircase in a fibro house
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #351
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
I found a bit of info.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...saletequipment

These are fibreglass versions with a carbon fibre surface and weigh 39lbs each. They also cost $7,000 per seat.

I'm not sure if the ones you posted are full carbon throughout but if that's the cost for just fibreglass, it's possible that the carbon ones might cost upwards of $10,000 each...
In that link it does say 'seats' in the item description, but yes you're most likely correct in that they are $7k each!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #352
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
wow, thats like putting a marble staircase in a fibro house
- just like renovating the fibro house, much easier approval process compare to demolishing it and build a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
In that link it does say 'seats' in the item description, but yes you're most likely correct in that they are $7k each!!
Found out a bit more since then. They are $7k per pair, and they are the Porsche Sports Bucket Seat, made by Recaro commissioned by Porsche. They are essentially bucket seats, but can be reclined forward for easy access to the rear. There is airbag like the Sportster CS, and the seat is designed to take a 6 point harness.

Here is the other site selling the seat: http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p97064.htm

The problem I would say would be the electronics and seat belt point compatibility. However, someone is trying to adopt it into their R8.

It is not available at the moment for the 991 GT3 at the moment in the US, due to change in US legislation change, and they are currently developing a new seat and be expected to be available in about a years time.
Appreciate 0