BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #23
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I went to Highschool right across from University of san diego (usd). The campus is BEAUTIFUL. And your close to everything
      03-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #24
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte
Haha no no I'm not afraid of coming out as a hippie. I've been to Berkeley and it was pretty chill. Much more exciting than San Diego, in my opinion.

I'm afraid of the people who don't go to Cal but live around the campus. I went to the Mrs. Field's cookie place near Cal and a homeless man asked me several times to marry him. One of my guy friends had to push him away. I don't want that happening to me all the time if I go to Cal. Actually, I didn't even apply haha! So nevermind.

When I was applying to the UCs, i left out Berkeley just because they wanted me to write an extra essay and I was like, HELL NO. I already wrote 4, I'm not writing anymore. Yeah I know, priorities. ;]

What do you guys think of UCSB and UC Davis? What about Irvine?
ucsb i think is considered a party school. i really have no idea about it though, but i do like santa barbara. nice chill area.

ucd is a good school. you're just in the middle of no where though. closest big city is sac, and that's not great. but cool if you want to be close to home since it's not too bad of a drive.

i've personally never been to uci, but i do like some of the cities in orange county, including irvine. from my friends down there, they told me to expect a lot of asians, most of them originally from socal, with a lot of them driving nice cars.

anyway, best thing to do is see what you want to consider as a major, visit the campuses, and decide for yourself where you like it best.
      03-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #25
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey enroutte - I am sure tzf will give you his input on UCI (or not, hahah!) but here are my comments:

UCSB: pretty place to be. Near the ocean, party place...lots of beaches. School I hear is not so good compared to say, UCSD and UCLA.
UCLA: the true party school. You'll find parties left and right. They are crazy. They have a Div I team for both basketball and football so every weekend it's crazy. They party it up - no joke. I've been there.
UCI: too many Asians for my blood. Not that I have a grudge against Asians (hey I'm Asian) but I really don't like to have just Asian homies to kick it with. Nice location, though - moderate weather, 4 miles from the beach, 30 min from LA, 45 min from San Diego. Good school, program wise. Additionally, there's not much to do in Irvine compared to SD, LA, and even Santa Barbara. Because you have so many Asians, and then there's that stereotype that Asians are overachievers...put that together and what happens?
UCD: I don't like Davis weather-wise. Hot as all hell (110 degrees sometimes) in summer. In the middle of nowhere with agricultural land all around. You can smell cows there. It's pretty flat and the actual town of Davis is small (but it's a really good town). It's more than an hour from the bay area and just 20 minutes from Sacramento (but Sacramento is really boring).
      03-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #26
shragon
No_Country
Rep

^ lol. i forgot about the cow shit smell in davis. every once in a while the wind will blow and you'll smell it. people that go there seem to get used to it though. "smell? what smell?" lol. true story.
      03-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #27
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon
i forgot about the cow shit smell in davis.
Hahah, yeah - most folks don't know about the cows until it's too late and they moved in. Have you ever driven on I-5 next to Avenal about a hundred miles north of LA? Mad cowshit smell. In fact, there's a town near the horde of cows called "Coalinga" and I call that town "COW-linger" cuz you can smell cow shit left and right as you're pumping gas. Damn, I feel bad for the people who work Coalinga.
      03-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #28
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Congrats 'routte.

If you go to USD - you may never study
      03-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #29
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Schools

Quote:
Haha no no I'm not afraid of coming out as a hippie. I've been to Berkeley and it was pretty chill. Much more exciting than San Diego, in my opinion.

I'm afraid of the people who don't go to Cal but live around the campus. I went to the Mrs. Field's cookie place near Cal and a homeless man asked me several times to marry him. One of my guy friends had to push him away. I don't want that happening to me all the time if I go to Cal. Actually, I didn't even apply haha! So nevermind.

When I was applying to the UCs, i left out Berkeley just because they wanted me to write an extra essay and I was like, HELL NO. I already wrote 4, I'm not writing anymore. Yeah I know, priorities. ;]

What do you guys think of UCSB and UC Davis? What about Irvine?
At least the homeless guy has good taste. I thought most good schools (OK, not Stanford) are in crappy neighborhoods. Anyway congrats. Love the fountain pic
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #30
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
At least the homeless guy has good taste. I thought most good schools (OK, not Stanford) are in crappy neighborhoods. Anyway congrats. Love the fountain pic
UCLA is adjacent to Bel Air, Brentwood, and Beverly Hills.

In contrast, U$C is in the 'hood.

So much for your theory. (Guess which one I went to. )
      03-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #31
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Didn't you say you got into these schools a while ago??
      03-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #32
shragon
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Hahah, yeah - most folks don't know about the cows until it's too late and they moved in. Have you ever driven on I-5 next to Avenal about a hundred miles north of LA? Mad cowshit smell. In fact, there's a town near the horde of cows called "Coalinga" and I call that town "COW-linger" cuz you can smell cow shit left and right as you're pumping gas. Damn, I feel bad for the people who work Coalinga.
yep! near harris ranch. the worst is in the summer, when it's all hot.
      03-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #33
eimSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Arctic 325i

Congrats! We're still waiting on word on my daughter's applications, applied to USC, Northwestern, Boston U, UCs in LA, SB and SC.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #34
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Didn't you say you got into these schools a while ago??
Ya but I just recently got my scholarship so I decided to post.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #35
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
yah okay, mr UCLA grad.

i think.
what's wrong with UCLA? i was there for 7 years...
      03-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #36
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu
I can beat that. I was there for 10! (There are much worse places than Westwood to spend a decade. )
      03-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #37
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Damn - 7 and 10 years? You guys did some kind of combined masters program? Or were the parties there *that* abundant?
      03-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #38
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Damn - 7 and 10 years? You guys did some kind of combined masters program? Or were the parties there *that* abundant?
Undergrad + Law
      03-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #39
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Undergrad + Law
Wow, 3 years for law school? I didn't know it could be done that fast!
      03-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #40
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Plenty of parties, but I wouldn't think of UCLA as a party school. It's just so big you can find whatever it is you're looking for, whether it's a frat party or bible study.

Undergrad, masters, and doctorate for me, all as a Bruin.
      03-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #41
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

nothing is wrong with UCLA. I just remember he had told me he went to UCLA.

i dont want to go to UCLA though. i dont think id like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #42
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i dont want to go to UCLA though. i dont think id like it.
Too much city for you? Did you ever go to that party in SD? Bella told me you didn't even hang out with her - you *flaked*! Gasp!
      03-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #43
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Too much city for you? Did you ever go to that party in SD? Bella told me you didn't even hang out with her - you *flaked*! Gasp!
i didnt flake! flaking is if i promised to come and i didnt.

i wanteddd to go to the zoo. but its not like i have a choice if im not the one driving the ONE car between liek 5 girls.

nooo SD was boring as hell. we even left way early monday morning to go home because my friends hated it so much.

i think it would have been more fun with different people. the friends i were with were not into the san diego scene at all. i think it's way too laid back for my taste.

i like city. LA itself is awesome and would fit me, but the school .. i dont know. ;x i think its overrated.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #44
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

im going back to so cal for part of my spring break. im going with all my guy friends this time though, and theyre more open to try new things. so hopefully this time, SD will be a better experience for me.
Appreciate 0