BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #23
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4talyst View Post
lmao...you're joking when comparing brakes to nav...right? How did people find their way around for decades before the advent of navigation? Nav is overpriced when installed as a factory option (pretty much applies to all car manufacturers) and completely unnecessary for anyone with a 3 digit iq...

Frankly I haven't had to look at a real map in years, other than a couple times I took printed google maps with me on vacation. I don't know any men who think its needed, most of my friends agree it's just for bling and letting the wife watch a dvd while on a roadtrip.
Yes, I was joking about the brakes, but was using it as a comparison to show that maps don't do what a nav can do. To be honest, I wouldn't have gotten iDrive on my e90, but I was doing a European Delivery, my wife can't read maps, and I didn't want to be in divorce court.

Since having the car here in the States, I used the nav a LOT more than I thought I would have. Actually, I'd probably be backing up your anti-nav argument if I didn't have first hand experience to the contrary.

Btw, there are no stock navigation systems sold in the US that allow you to watch DVDs from the dashboard while in motion.

I'm not saying I don't know how to "work" a map, and I've made due with them, and with mapquests/google map directions in the past. None of those can help you find places in the dark, reroute you around traffic, get you back on track after a missed turn, or allow you to find places around you (like gas, mechanic, eateries, places of interest, etc). Don't knock it, unless you've tried it...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #24
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I gotta chime in on the Nav debate (gotta? well I probably could refrain ; -). I'm an inveterate map user/collector (not collecting valuable maps, just that every map I've ever owned ends up in a drawer). I love plotting routes - and will spend hours pouring over maps before taking a vacation. But I also know that once underway I have no reliable map reader as a backup (my wife can't read a map to save our marriage either ; -).

Most of the built-in Nav systems I've messed with haven't thrilled me. My father-in-law and I managed to lock up the nav system in an Acura RL after telling it we wanted to go to Brisbee, AZ and then took off east at a high rate of speed, ignoring its recommendations gleefully. ; -) The most recent go around with a nav system was in a high-zoot Subaru Outback - had a dulcet male British accent, we nicknamed that thing, Nigel the Nagging Navigator. A real pain.

But I really could have used a decent nav system when I went west in '03. I wanted badly to explore a county road in the southeast corner of Utah (near Monument Valley) but I didn't trust the paper maps to give me enough information (wrong scale). Couple the perceived need for a detailed navi and a potential European Delivery and I will get a nav.

That being said, it will not be a factory unit. When I plan the route for a day's journey it's going to have a bunch of waypoints. If the nav can't do waypoints (routes) then I don't want it. I've zeroed in on the Garmin nuvi 770 as the most viable. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #25
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Hugo, I recently bought a TomTom 910 ($375) when I was planning to do ED. The 910 was about the only GPS I could find that had US, Canada, Mexico, AND Europe maps standard (it has a 20GB HD). The more I use it the better I like the concept of GPS and, oh, it does waypoints (along with many other extras I doubt I'll ever use).
      01-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #26
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I am still pretty tick at bmw for asking an additional 700 dollar for bluetooth. They are charging 2100 for NAV already but wants another 700 dollar for bluetooth? I bet it's a gimmick to sell the emergency system, withouth BT no one will buy that.
      01-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #27
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

No blank cover plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindtree View Post
If they don't have nav, there'll probably just be a dummy cover there.
From the pics I've seen of a standard dash w/o Nav - there does not appear to be a blank plate or anything that could be modified to place a non factory GPS system - at least not without cutting the dash up.

So - I guess youd be looking at a window based suction cup holder, or keeping it low somewhere. Plus you'd have to run a power accessory cable up to it on long trips.

I just bought an under $350 Nextar unit and it works great. It comes with a functional window/dash attachment-suction cup thing but it doesn't look especially nice. I can't imagine it being permanent on a 135i. But I also don't really want to pay the $2k premium for the factory unit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #28
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Smile Third party GPS.

:w00t:
Something like this, with a suction cup attachment on the dash? Any takers for $1500 savings?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #29
slipkmaggot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I wouldn't have gotten iDrive on my e90, but I was doing a European Delivery, my wife can't read maps, and I didn't want to be in divorce court.
      01-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I gotta chime in on the Nav debate (gotta? well I probably could refrain ; -). I'm an inveterate map user/collector (not collecting valuable maps, just that every map I've ever owned ends up in a drawer). I love plotting routes - and will spend hours pouring over maps before taking a vacation. But I also know that once underway I have no reliable map reader as a backup (my wife can't read a map to save our marriage either ; -).

Most of the built-in Nav systems I've messed with haven't thrilled me. My father-in-law and I managed to lock up the nav system in an Acura RL after telling it we wanted to go to Brisbee, AZ and then took off east at a high rate of speed, ignoring its recommendations gleefully. ; -) The most recent go around with a nav system was in a high-zoot Subaru Outback - had a dulcet male British accent, we nicknamed that thing, Nigel the Nagging Navigator. A real pain.

But I really could have used a decent nav system when I went west in '03. I wanted badly to explore a county road in the southeast corner of Utah (near Monument Valley) but I didn't trust the paper maps to give me enough information (wrong scale). Couple the perceived need for a detailed navi and a potential European Delivery and I will get a nav.

That being said, it will not be a factory unit. When I plan the route for a day's journey it's going to have a bunch of waypoints. If the nav can't do waypoints (routes) then I don't want it. I've zeroed in on the Garmin nuvi 770 as the most viable. Any thoughts?
The 770 looks nice. I currently have the 680 for my vehicles and it's been great. We've been happy with all of our Garmin electronics.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #31
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I like the nuvi, and it seems to be one of the best out there (I like the flat form factor too). I just wish their lesser expensive, like the 650-680, were a black housing. I don't want to have that silvery housing, and I don't need the FM transmitter or BT (unless I can get RTT info via BT over GPRS/3G).

The silver thang really turns me off. It would look so much better in black, but the black nuvis cost another couple hundred.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #32
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I'm also a big fan of the nuvi I've got a 350 but plan on upgrading to the 650 and giving my wife the 350
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #33
slipkmaggot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i will get nav/idrive because i like it when everything is integrated together.the nav screen n also be used to check stuff about the car and everything in on that one screen.
      01-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #34
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Okey dokey - found an interesting comparo of several portable nav systems. If you're not ordering nav with the car you may eventually want a portable nav. Here's an article on the routing algorithms:

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/06/g...est_routes.php

When I said earlier that I wanted a nav that did routes, what I didn't clarify was that I want a nav that can take a set of destinations (multiple stops) and build a single route from that list. The BMW system does not do that, IIRC. So far as I know only the Garmin nuvi 770 dos that. But would love to hear otherwise (more choices is always better! ; -).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #35
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

I just needed to do a little more digging - seems the Tomtom 920T (and others in their line) do 'waypoints' just fine thank you. Here's what may be a decent GPS review site: http://www.gpsreview.net/
Appreciate 0