Qualin
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i - Completely Stock

Quote:
I hope for something tech-wise that would come close to this:

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/myfo...ylincoln-touch
Noooooooooo!!!!!

Where I live, temperatures get down to -40 C, sometimes lower than that. Tech like that simply stops working at those temperatures. Then, when the interior of the car goes from that to 20 C within the span of 20-30 minutes and then back down to -40 C again, it plays havoc with these things.

The last thing I need is to end up with a cracked LCD panel that costs $1500 to replace! Especially considering that touch based systems in Cars, especially in Canada, become prone to all kinds of problems within a few years.

Sorry, I don't care how pretty it looks, tech like that doesn't belong in a car unless you live in a place with a stable climate or you drive back and forth between a heated garage and a heated parking garage all the time.

I'm so paranoid about such things, I don't even leave my GPS in the car for fear of finding it cracked the next day.

To me, An M1 should be just a track package. More power, less amenities. Give me a clutch pedal, brake pedal, gas pedal, a set of instruments, maybe some kind of a radio that has an FM band, a usable rear seat and heat... and I'm happy.

Heck, in a little coupe like that, I'd even ask for power window / power lock delete if I could get it. Who needs power windows in a coupe anyway? Sure, it's not as cool but to me, BMW should mean more than luxury.

Anyway, my two cents!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #46
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualin View Post
Noooooooooo!!!!!

Where I live, temperatures get down to -40 C, sometimes lower than that. Tech like that simply stops working at those temperatures. Then, when the interior of the car goes from that to 20 C within the span of 20-30 minutes and then back down to -40 C again, it plays havoc with these things.

The last thing I need is to end up with a cracked LCD panel that costs $1500 to replace! Especially considering that touch based systems in Cars, especially in Canada, become prone to all kinds of problems within a few years.

Sorry, I don't care how pretty it looks, tech like that doesn't belong in a car unless you live in a place with a stable climate or you drive back and forth between a heated garage and a heated parking garage all the time.

I'm so paranoid about such things, I don't even leave my GPS in the car for fear of finding it cracked the next day.

To me, An M1 should be just a track package. More power, less amenities. Give me a clutch pedal, brake pedal, gas pedal, a set of instruments, maybe some kind of a radio that has an FM band, a usable rear seat and heat... and I'm happy.

Heck, in a little coupe like that, I'd even ask for power window / power lock delete if I could get it. Who needs power windows in a coupe anyway? Sure, it's not as cool but to me, BMW should mean more than luxury.

Anyway, my two cents!

??

You do understand what the word "Options" means right? Why the fuss?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #47
Qualin
Canada
Rep

Well, BMW is notorious for "Bundling" things together, so that you can't get one thing unless you get a bunch of other things.

I just hope that their marketing dept or whatever decides not to do something dumb like, "If you'd like IRS, you have to have the bling thing in your dash."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #48
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5f15

more like the m3 seats and leather wise to!
premium package
sport package
comfort access
premium hi-fi system
navigation that plays dvds
real time trafic ect.
ipod,hd,sat,
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #49
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

If where u live gets to -40C, I dont think RWD sports car (with possibly thinner glass, less insulation, etc for weight savings) is what you are looking for.
How many tracks are located on North Pole, Alberta?
Why would you pay $1500 to replace LCD, when your car would be fully warrantied for first 4 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualin View Post
Noooooooooo!!!!!

Anyway, my two cents!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #50
Qualin
Canada
Rep

Calgary, Alberta.. We get that cold sometimes.

But you bring up a very good point. Honestly though, would you want to have to bring in your car when it's that cold outside because the screen cracked?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #51
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

I'd have bigger worries if it's -40C outside.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #52
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I just hope they fix the airbag indentation problem. Nice shiny M1...with an airbag indentation.
Appreciate 0