BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Well, my car has its first wound

So yesterday afternoon I spent an hour or so cleaning up the 1m, which I have been doing every week and a half or so. Noticed that someone must have tapped my rear end with their license plate. It would take me pointing it out for someone to really notice it, but there are two little phillips head screw marks with two little lines outside of them....

Frustrating because I usually go out of my way to park away from others. It gets parked in a private garage at night but during the day I park in a parking garage where others have been less than considerate about cars. Some a-hole who drives a corvette convertible will literally just swing his door open when he parks without concern for others. This is possibility A.

Last weekend I parked my car outside of my cousins townhome in uptown (those from Dallas will know) for a considerable amount of time (probably 6-8 hours) close to the end of a block. Feel like someone might have tried to cram their car behind mine at the end. Possibility B.

Either way it is frustrating that some people don't respect others property. I have made the same mistake before but I left a note. The woman called me and said she didn't even notice and didn't care. Like I said, I had to point it out to my gf for her to notice, so it is hard to see really. But I am trying to take really good care of this one and this is a frustrating start. I guess I am really anal, soon enough I will buy a beater so I don't have to drive the 1m everywhere.

END RANT
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I know exactly how you feel. One of my cars has been hit 5 different times while it has been parked. Three of those times left significant dents that I had to have repaired out of my pocket which also sucks.
      04-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Dude, that's what you get for parking in Uptown! I keed, I keed.

Sorry man that fricken sux. I've been lucky so far. Was a nervous wreck the day of all the storms though. If I were you I wouldn't mess with it until it comes time to sell. The only way to guarantee it happens again is for you to fix it now...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post

Sorry man that fricken sux. I've been lucky so far. Was a nervous wreck the day of all the storms though. If I were you I wouldn't mess with it until it comes time to sell. The only way to guarantee it happens again is for you to fix it now...
Really though thats what I get. Should have just been an ass and taken up more space than needed. I live, work and play in uptown and it can get messy over there on a weekend.

I don't plan to do anything about it anytime soon honestly. Its hard to describe but just like someone pushed something in the bumper...I don't know how you would remedy that.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

I feel you. I purposely park on the bottom floor next to a wall as close as I can so there is less chance of door ding, I still got one.
Also some idiot attempted to squeeze through the tiny gap along the wall, another scratch.
Yesterday i found a band of scratches around 9 inches in length on my hood where to BMW emblem is. I'm assuming someone sat on my car.
Why why why. I just don't understand why people can't be more considerate

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
swimfreak
Orange Crush
Rep
Drives: fun!!!

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me. Small tap of the rear drivers side corner. Just enough to leave it slightly deformed, but most people don't even notice it, stares at me like a three-eyed wart on my car.

Sorry to hear about it!

Every time I read about these situations, the Pulp Fiction quote goes through my head: "Boy, I wish I could've caught him doing it. I'd have given anything to catch that a$$hole doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it. "
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

I know how you feel. I'm really anal about my 1M too. So when I found my first scratch, it bugged the heck out of me for a few days. I got one in the front bumper, not sure how I got it (probably while driving). Got another on the rear bumper when the chain link gate swung and hit the bumper on a windy day. I ordered the dr color chip paint system and will give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
sorry to hear that. I unfortunately have had a few cars bump into mine. My 135i is small and I always give ample space between cars. I had a few 'black circle marks' from screws from people's license plates. It really sucks but its something you just have to deal with parking in the city. Fortunately i have a garage space as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
Yesterday i found a band of scratches around 9 inches in length on my hood where to BMW emblem is. I'm assuming someone sat on my car.
Why why why. I just don't understand why people can't be more considerate
Someone was probably so stoked they saw a 1M in person they took a pose with it. I had a nice car when I was in london and I would come outside and see people posing with it, leaning on the fender etc. taking cell phone pics. Drove me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Sorry to hear that.

Of course, if you park taking more room than people think you need, they will assume you're an a-hole and then you won't have screw marks, you'll have key marks...all the way down the side.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm

It's awesome you daily drive yours, I can't, though. I was so happy knowing mine was tucked in the garage with the storms, just was hoping my house was still ok too lol !

Sorry about the damage lcrain.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone for sympathizing. I will get over it. Hopefully I can be vigilant enough to minimize these sorts of things from happening too often.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Thanks everyone for sympathizing. I will get over it. Hopefully I can be vigilant enough to minimize these sorts of things from happening too often.
And to everyone posting above.... My 1M is my first BRAND NEW car I have ever purchased. I was so excited to finally have something "untouched", clean. No previous owners lack of care or consideration because like some of you here, I am a bit anal about my cars Having said that.........

I am still having a hard time accepting it (will be in denial forever lol ), but I've realized its a reality that short of wrapping the WHOLE CAR in clear vinyl, it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to keep a new car perfect, I don't care what you say.

Took it home from the dealer, found a small puncture in the dash, oh, and a small scuff on the gorgeous gloss black window trim outside... Weeks later, small rock chips on the fender flares (wrapped in vinyl now...). Washed the car yesterday, wish I had wrapped not just the rockers but the bottom section/3" tall part of the door that has an angle facing the ground, found more small rock chips on there (really didnt expect these being they are behind the wheel and dont stick out but...).

I meticulously care for my cars, but Its pretty simple, if you drive it, the road will F*** with it......

At this point i try and do what I can but accept no matter what, age and use will take its toll :/

END RANT
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

i've actually used a turtle wax color stick on things like that, and you couldn't even tell it was there once I blended it in. i know it's a complete temp fix...but you'd be fixing it for your own eyes anyway, since you stated that it's hardly noticeable. try it....it works pretty well for quick and dirty things like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
i've actually used a turtle wax color stick on things like that, and you couldn't even tell it was there once I blended it in. i know it's a complete temp fix...but you'd be fixing it for your own eyes anyway, since you stated that it's hardly noticeable. try it....it works pretty well for quick and dirty things like that.
Good idea but idk how thats going to work with my VO lol
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Good idea but idk how thats going to work with my VO lol
ahh...touche'!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
MonsterCoatings
Rep
Drives: 320 Euro (fav), Dodge Cummins

I know that you will probably never tow with it but when I lived in NYC NY we put a tow receiver on and installed a big ball just for the sake of protecting the rear bumpers. Installing paint protection film helps but only the really thick 40mil headlight film was successful against Brooklyn's street parking by braille methods.Looked crappy though, hitch was better.
Appreciate 0