BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

trying to check parasitic drain

as it say's

the fusebox is so tight, without ripping things out,
anyway to check for current drain, rather than usual way

I do have INPA/ISTA etc, it says there is but can't ID the circuit.
Anyway to find out exactly what it is even in ISTA ?

txs
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
turbodriven
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 and BMW 128i

Are you sure it's a current drain, and not a bad module preventing the car from going to sleep? What exactly is occuring?

I don't have much in the way of knowledge to fix, I'm just curious as I have an issue with current drain too. I'm starting a different thread to discuss it.
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      03-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

hey turbo,
yes and it could very well be that.
I know for "sure" I have 2 faulty door handles, which seems weird, they are wired in parallel and not series, I thought one handle put a short and effected the driver. OR the CA module which controls it, but the the boot works on CA and so does the start stop/keyless.

I remember seeing a IBS sensor error but it went and after doing a LOT of research, on CA issues, current drain that it could well be the IBS.

PROBLEM is new door handles are like $500 each, CA module is like $300

So not easy to fault find "cheaply", even the IBS is around $300 from BMW

The logical way is to get onto the fuse box and check each fuse for current drain, or at least pull a fuse out at a time to see if current drops

BUT BMW have hidden the fuse box away, and also as you said, it could also be a module.

I love my BMW but GOD how I hate "BMW"
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:16 AM   #4
turbodriven
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
hey turbo,
yes and it could very well be that.
I know for "sure" I have 2 faulty door handles, which seems weird, they are wired in parallel and not series, I thought one handle put a short and effected the driver. OR the CA module which controls it, but the the boot works on CA and so does the start stop/keyless.

I remember seeing a IBS sensor error but it went and after doing a LOT of research, on CA issues, current drain that it could well be the IBS.

PROBLEM is new door handles are like $500 each, CA module is like $300

So not easy to fault find "cheaply", even the IBS is around $300 from BMW

The logical way is to get onto the fuse box and check each fuse for current drain, or at least pull a fuse out at a time to see if current drops

BUT BMW have hidden the fuse box away, and also as you said, it could also be a module.

I love my BMW but GOD how I hate "BMW"
When I was doing my own parasitic draw testing, I was able to pull the glovebox assembly fairly easily. Just a handful of screws after easily removing the radio. Makes handling the fuse box 10x easier. But testing fuses for parasitic draw on this car ended up producing more questions than answers. I pulled one fuse and the windshield wipers suddenly turned on even. Like wtf?

I'm no expert, but I know even a bad CAS antenna can mess with the whole system. I think I read someone that had a shorted CAS antenna behind their bumper and it caused all kinds of problems, like nothing worked. A bad door handle sensor would throw all kinds of red flags to me if it was my car. If you can confirm it's legit bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Yes, I know bout the glovebox, and something I was thinking about.

But testing fuses for parasitic draw on this car ended up producing more questions than answers. I pulled one fuse and the windshield wipers suddenly turned on even. Like wtf?

Oh really wow, yeah, the problem on BMW's and these new car's is crap like this, it all needs to be diagnosed by computer LOL

but I know even a bad CAS antenna can mess with the whole system.

Good to know, I think I have proved that the handle is faulty, I managed to do some diagnostics using ISTA and it does show a fault. I tried disconnecting it though to see if that would clear the fault, but it didnt ? or rather the CA still didnt work

I pulled and reset both door handles, no joy, but I never reset the CAS, which is what your supposed to do when fooling with the CA, was too scared to.. I can do with out CA not with out the whole CAS system LOL

Problem is a new door handle is like $500, I guess I could get one of ebay, for 85 or so, but have not seen any my colour, though I could get one to try..

But then I would need to fork out for $500 real part, for a f****ing handle, shit !

Anyway, I was having some drain issues, which I guess I can liove with.. I'm looking at trading in, hence me not wanting to spend a shit load of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
When I was doing my own parasitic draw testing, I was able to pull the glovebox assembly fairly easily. Just a handful of screws after easily removing the radio. Makes handling the fuse box 10x easier. But testing fuses for parasitic draw on this car ended up producing more questions than answers. I pulled one fuse and the windshield wipers suddenly turned on even. Like wtf?

I'm no expert, but I know even a bad CAS antenna can mess with the whole system. I think I read someone that had a shorted CAS antenna behind their bumper and it caused all kinds of problems, like nothing worked. A bad door handle sensor would throw all kinds of red flags to me if it was my car. If you can confirm it's legit bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
turbodriven
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think my handle is the problem too. In the other thread I noted my PGS system is throwing a right front door handle no response code. If there is a way I could know for SURE that it was bad, I wouldn't have any issue forking out money for it (within reason). It's chasing a problem with money that I hate.

What code are you throwing? How did you "prove the handle is faulty"??
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      03-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

in ISTA, you can run a diagnostic on the handle and the wifi sensors, and it said the handle is faulty as opposed to the wiring (or words to the that effect).

Quote:

What code are you throwing? How did you "prove the handle is faulty"??
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
turbodriven
Enlisted Member
Rep

When you "read codes" in INPA does your PGS or CAS modules pull any error codes? Curious if you're pulling the same A0A7 code (or similar if it's not your passenger door) on the PGS as I am.

I'm downloading ISTA right now to run that same test you did. Before I actually unplug my door handle I'll do it.

So I'm curious though, if you know the door handle is bad, why haven't you fixed that yet? That's more than likely the problem. Right?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #9
turbodriven
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is it just the $$$?

Did you try unplugging it. Does that "fix" anything on yours?
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      03-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #10
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

It doesnt pull any CAS module or CA codes.
The diagnostics for the door handle says's it's faulty, but I have "2" faulty handles, and a new handle is $500 from Germany only, I havent seen one on ebay in my colour, as I said I could get a different color to prove but then stuck to buy a new handle.

It's not worth it at the moment

Quote:
When you "read codes" in INPA does your PGS or CAS modules pull any error codes? Curious if you're pulling the same A0A7 code (or similar if it's not your passenger door) on the PGS as I am.

I'm downloading ISTA right now to run that same test you did. Before I actually unplug my door handle I'll do it.

So I'm curious though, if you know the door handle is bad, why haven't you fixed that yet? That's more than likely the problem. Right?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #11
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is it just the $$$?

Did you try unplugging it. Does that "fix" anything on yours?
correct on both,
I thought, that unplugging would fix at least the drivers door.
but I need to reset the CAS, and I don't wanna do that.
I can live with a bust CA door handle, not with a blown/bricked CAS module

knowing my luck
Appreciate 0