04-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Underwood
BMW > Audi+ Merc. Simple math.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 14' Wrangler

Opinions on my upgrade plans for this spring

Hey there!

I'm looking for some thoughts on my future plans for the 1M. Perhaps someone has useful input to it.

This is my plans, and it very much involves IND-dist.

- BSR Flash upgrade 404bhp (Already installed)
- Eisenmann Full Race system Silver tips
- Revosport carbon diffusor
- Revosport Sideskirts
- Revosport carbon trunk lip
- Carbon side mirror caps
- Full Orafol Oracol 093 anthracite wrapping of body.
- Keep silver window line
- Silver line OEM front kidneys
- Gloss black paint of lower front grille and side air intakes
- Slights tint of side windows, black tint rear window.
- LUX headlights
- OEM wheels no suspension tweaking

Any questions? What do you think?

BR

/H
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

surprised you didn't mention any suspension upgrades. this is always my FIRST and foremost upgrade area in any car or motorcycle i own, even if it's something simple like upgraded sway bars or a steering dampener respectively (with exception to a couple cosmetic changes here and there).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Underwood
Sweden
Rep

The thing is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
surprised you didn't mention any suspension upgrades. this is always my FIRST and foremost upgrade area in any car or motorcycle i own, even if it's something simple like upgraded sway bars or a steering dampener respectively (with exception to a couple cosmetic changes here and there).
...the coilover kits offered for the car makes it sit too low IMO, at least all of those i've seen. I see what you are saying, and I usually do suspension upgrades aswell. Do you perhaps know what replacement springs work the best for the car, and doesn't make it sit like a lowrider?! However I'm quite satisfied with the OEM suspension setup.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-emm View Post
...the coilover kits offered for the car makes it sit too low IMO, at least all of those i've seen. I see what you are saying, and I usually do suspension upgrades aswell. Do you perhaps know what replacement springs work the best for the car, and doesn't make it sit like a lowrider?! However I'm quite satisfied with the OEM suspension setup.

Coilover kits have height-adjustable spring perches and with most you specify the length (and rate) of the springs you want to run.

You can set your car lower or higher than stock.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Are you M enough?
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 1M

how do you like the BSR flash? is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
+2. Suspension is key IMO especially since you have added power. As Porsche says: "Power is nothing without control"
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

On most cars suspension and brakes are first mod but 1m brakes and suspension are pretty damn near perfect for street/performance unless you are building a track car or want cosmetic drop. A lot of engineering went into your suspension. It's not perfect but close especially with how quick the car can rotate on you with TC off. If you got a 135i, go to town but you have an ///M suspension designed by the one of the best in the business . I would play with lighter wheels, stickier rubber and maybe slight alignment mod if feasible. If your tune is making more boost consider 10w40 oil and maybe bigger inter cooler, though you might end up with more lag. That's my opinion. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Change your tires to Michelin PSS, you will need a suspension job even less afterwards. Stick with the stock sizes (with stock suspension) which is good for street use or go slightly larger (especially at the rear) cause you have more power/torque now.

Not a must but you can think about a decent/matching pedal set as a starter for interior mods. I for example have the BMW steel pedals which fit the existing M footrest perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I honestly don't think that ~400 hp will "out-perform" the 1M's suspension. I think suspension is purely cosmetic unless you track the car or take it on canyon runs/aggressive driving scenarios quite often. Even then most coilover systems require some understanding of suspension geometry to maximize performance, which the average guy does not.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Underwood
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I honestly don't think that ~400 hp will "out-perform" the 1M's suspension. I think suspension is purely cosmetic unless you track the car or take it on canyon runs/aggressive driving scenarios quite often. Even then most coilover systems require some understanding of suspension geometry to maximize performance, which the average guy does not.
That's my opinion aswell. BMW has done a great job with the suspension. It will easily manage around 400bhp. Since the car will be a daily driver i dont want to make the suspension rock solid hard either. The reason for my power upgrade is because i want better pull from 100km/h and upwards. Therefore, sticky tires is no must-have for Me. The Car loose traction completely stock aswell, so what's the difference...

And to answer the question above concerning BSR, I havent really felt the thing since I've only driven it on snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
That's my opinion aswell. BMW has done a great job with the suspension. It will easily manage around 400bhp. Since the car will be a daily driver i dont want to make the suspension rock solid hard either. The reason for my power upgrade is because i want better pull from 100km/h and upwards. Therefore, sticky tires is no must-have for Me. The Car loose traction completely stock aswell, so what's the difference...

And to answer the question above concerning BSR, I havent really felt the thing since I've only driven it on snow and ice.
Since your car is a DD and not a track tool, stock or tuned any 1M will be better with the PSS cause they will give you better traction and a more comfortable ride at the same time, especially so when the road or climate conditions are not perfect. You can enjoy the car much better while you are in less then triple digit speeds with them, that's why I suggested a tire upgrade because like yourself I also think the suspension is just fine. You can see some threads about this in the tire/wheel section.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Underwood
Sweden
Rep

Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Since your car is a DD and not a track tool, stock or tuned any 1M will be better with the PSS cause they will give you better traction and a more comfortable ride at the same time, especially so when the road or climate conditions are not perfect. You can enjoy the car much better while you are in less then triple digit speeds with them, that's why I suggested a tire upgrade because like yourself I also think the suspension is just fine. You can see some threads about this in the tire/wheel section.
I don't doubt the PSS perform outstanding, lets just finish the OEM tires first!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
I don't doubt the PSS perform outstanding, lets just finish the OEM tires first!
Since I found out that PSS's are the way to go I have been using up the stock PS2's a little more freely with traction control off
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

With it on I eat up the brakes. No win scenario.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Patience is not one of my virtues, my stock PS2s are the reserve set now with just 550 kms on them. They are not really bad though so you are making the wise choice here.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Patience is not one of my virtues, my stock PS2s are the reserve set now with just 550 kms on them. They are not really bad though so you are making the wise choice here.
i usually upgrade the following (in order):
tires
brakes
suspension
power bolt-on's (CIA, cat back, oil catch can etc)
adjustments for weight reduction/even out distribution of weight (depending on the car, you'd be surprised how much this can change things at this point).
then work on the others...(tuning turbo) and continue evening out weight accordingly.

this is usually the order i always follow. like someone already said...can't use power if you can't control it (very, very true). racing motorcycles...you learn this quicker than ANYTHING. it's all about control. cars allow for more mistakes than sportbikes, and you learn to respect that very quickly. otherwise (like one of my friends), you're going to buy a lot of motorcycles (he's on his 3rd since last year...no lie). just my 2 cents, but it's your car. do what makes you happy.

and...ah...yes...you can definitely out perform the pss with a 400hp car. if i read that right (i'm not going to hit the back button just to correct), that's one of the the most ridiculous things i've ever heard. tires help of course, but unless you're riding on glue/gum...you can outperform pretty much any tire. go into turn 1 at VIR at 120 and brake at the last stop marker...you'll see what i mean
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
i usually upgrade the following (in order):
tires
brakes
suspension
power bolt-on's (CIA, cat back, oil catch can etc)
adjustments for weight reduction/even out distribution of weight (depending on the car, you'd be surprised how much this can change things at this point).
then work on the others...(tuning turbo) and continue evening out weight accordingly.

this is usually the order i always follow. like someone already said...can't use power if you can't control it (very, very true). racing motorcycles...you learn this quicker than ANYTHING. it's all about control. cars allow for more mistakes than sportbikes, and you learn to respect that very quickly. otherwise (like one of my friends), you're going to buy a lot of motorcycles (he's on his 3rd since last year...no lie). just my 2 cents, but it's your car. do what makes you happy.

and...ah...yes...you can definitely out perform the pss with a 400hp car. if i read that right (i'm not going to hit the back button just to correct), that's one of the the most ridiculous things i've ever heard. tires help of course, but unless you're riding on glue/gum...you can outperform pretty much any tire. go into turn 1 at VIR at 120 and brake at the last stop marker...you'll see what i mean
Sure, but I am assuming that all these are not aiming my quoted post?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure, but I am assuming that all these are not aiming my quoted post?
hahaha! you're right...whoops! got your attention though (unintentionally).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
+2. Suspension is key IMO especially since you have added power. As Porsche says: "Power is nothing without control"
+3
Appreciate 0