BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Muffler delete vs. custom fitting a 135i exhaust

Getting tired of not being to hear anything from the N52, and I'm looking to add some sound. Seems like the only real exhaust option for the 128 anymore is the magnaflow catback, which I'm not a fan of. Currently considering doing a muffler delete, or having a shop custom fit a Corsa, Dinan, or BMWPE from a 135i. This car is my daily (1.15hr highway commute), so I'm trying to avoid drone and annoyances in the cabin, especially when cruising around 80-85mph

Muffler delete would be great, but I'm worried about drone (I have a 6MT) and being obnoxiously loud both inside and out, especially during highway cruising and on cold start. Would this be a suitable option for a daily?

Retrofitting and axel-back would be more significantly more expensive, but I'm sure its more refined and tame. Currently looking at a PE for ~$800, and that's looking like the front runner if I decide against the MD.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #2
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Thinking the same thing. Most interested in the muffler delete. Based only on audio clips and reviews the sound is about right for me, not too much at all and reportedly no drone if it's muffler only. Just a matter of having some kind of custom single pipe to twin tips arrangement fabricated as I want to retain a stock look. Will have to check and see if I can get that done locally.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Thinking the same thing. Most interested in the muffler delete. Based only on audio clips and reviews the sound is about right for me, not too much at all and reportedly no drone if it's muffler only. Just a matter of having some kind of custom single pipe to twin tips arrangement fabricated as I want to retain a stock look. Will have to check and see if I can get that done locally.
Leaning that way too. Thinking I'll just pick up some quality tips online and have a shop bend the pipe for me. Just not sure if I should go with 3" or 3.5" tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

Of all the ridiculous things BMW did on these cars, the completely neutered factory exhaust is one of the most frustrating to me. The way it relentlessly detracts from the driving sensory experience is borderline criminal.

I haven't seen much posted about this possibility in my research, but I just picked up a stock 135i (N55) complete midpipe and axleback exhaust, figuring I'd cut-and-weld (or clamp) it into place as I've seen done over on the German 1er forum. However, it looks like it might be surprisingly easy to adapt the front midpipe flanges directly to the factory N52 exhaust manifold flanges. No the flanges aren't the same, but on initial overlay they look to potentially line up rather well, and initial measurements look like there might still be sufficient overlap to seal even without an intermediate adapter plate.

As soon as I get the garage cleaned up enough to work on it, I'll be sharing whatever I find...Hopefully beginning in earnest within the next few weekends. One way or another, I'm hoping to turn it into a cheap and easy DIY solution.

Last edited by Driven5; 04-15-2020 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I did a resonator delete (BMW Performance y-pipe) with a Corsa axle-back for a 135i. Very happy with it, no drone, and a very classy and smooth sound. Sounds a lot like the BMW Performance exhaust, but much less expensive. And now I can run any 135i axle-back with it...
      04-16-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I did a resonator delete (BMW Performance y-pipe) with a Corsa axle-back for a 135i. Very happy with it, no drone, and a very classy and smooth sound. Sounds a lot like the BMW Performance exhaust, but much less expensive. And now I can run any 135i axle-back with it...
Man that sounds like a fun setup. Any reason why you went with the Corsa muffler over the PE? I'm thinking 135i PE will be my fallback if I don't like the muffler delete, and the whole thing can be bought new for under $800 atm vs. $1.3k for the Corsa system and $300 for SS res delete pipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Quote:
Man that sounds like a fun setup. Any reason why you went with the Corsa muffler over the PE? I'm thinking 135i PE will be my fallback if I don't like the muffler delete, and the whole thing can be bought new for under $800 atm vs. $1.3k for the Corsa system and $300 for SS res delete pipes.
Cheaper, and one was for sale at the right time for the right price.
      04-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #8
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black bmw 128i

Quote:
Getting tired of not being to hear anything from the N52, and I'm looking to add some sound. Seems like the only real exhaust option for the 128 anymore is the magnaflow catback, which I'm not a fan of. Currently considering doing a muffler delete, or having a shop custom fit a Corsa, Dinan, or BMWPE from a 135i. This car is my daily (1.15hr highway commute), so I'm trying to avoid drone and annoyances in the cabin, especially when cruising around 80-85mph

Muffler delete would be great, but I'm worried about drone (I have a 6MT) and being obnoxiously loud both inside and out, especially during highway cruising and on cold start. Would this be a suitable option for a daily?

Retrofitting and axel-back would be more significantly more expensive, but I'm sure its more refined and tame. Currently looking at a PE for ~$800, and that's looking like the front runner if I decide against the MD.
Just do a muffler delete it will barely drone and honestly our cars are still pretty quite even with a muffler delete. I've done pretty much all the setups I did a reasonstor delete with a flowmaster axle back that droned like crazy idk why. Then deleted the axle back and some how droned less with no mufflers and resonator at all. So I'd say muffler delete is the way to go for a bit more tone.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadowspy View Post
Just do a muffler delete it will barely drone and honestly our cars are still pretty quite even with a muffler delete. I've done pretty much all the setups I did a reasonstor delete with a flowmaster axle back that droned like crazy idk why. Then deleted the axle back and some how droned less with no mufflers and resonator at all. So I'd say muffler delete is the way to go for a bit more tone.
Ordered Corsa tips yesterday. Will be pulling the trigger as soon as I (safely) can!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

I have the 135i PE on my car and it’s absolutely perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you have to trim your bumper at all to fit the 3.5" tips on the Corsa? Just had my delete done, and the tips I bought are 3.5" but they are comically large and barely fit on my sport package bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #12
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you have to trim your bumper at all to fit the 3.5" tips on the Corsa? Just had my delete done, and the tips I bought are 3.5" but they are comically large and barely fit on my sport package bumper.
They definitely rubbed against the bumper. I just swapped to an M-Sport bumper so I don't have any issue now.
      04-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
xxatticus
1er
Rep
Drives: 128i MSport 6MT - Lemans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
I have the 135i PE on my car and it’s absolutely perfect.
Good to hear - I have a 135 PE in my garage waiting to be fit to my 128. Did you have to tell the shop anything specific when you brought it in? I know the exhaust won't line up exactly with the 128i. Ballpark on a reasonable price to do it?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #14
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxatticus View Post
Good to hear - I have a 135 PE in my garage waiting to be fit to my 128. Did you have to tell the shop anything specific when you brought it in? I know the exhaust won't line up exactly with the 128i. Ballpark on a reasonable price to do it?
The shop I took it took was very familiar with E82s and E90s so they had worked with it before, so they knew that it would have to be cut and then welded onto the stock 128i piping. If they aren’t familiar I would just explain that you need it cut at a specific spot (see photo) and then welded on.

The muffler itself is exactly the same as the 128i one, so all the hanging points and fit on that end is perfect. The piping is a little bit wider though on the 135i exhaust, but they were able to weld it on no problem. You also won’t need the Y-Pipe that comes with it. As far as cost, I actually lumped it in with some other suspension work, so I don’t have the immediate break down.

Attached is a photo though so you can see where they cut and welded it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 12:06 AM   #15
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxatticus View Post
You can pick up an exhaust pipe adapter (2.5" to 3"), or a shop might be able to expand the pipe for you. The tips that I ordered for my MD had a 2.75" inlet diameter (128i piping is 2.5"), so the shop just heated up the pipe and hit it with a tool to expand the diameter without any issue.
Appreciate 0