BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #23
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Anyone know how large the groups are for the sessions? Does the guest get seat time on the track too?

2 hours of classroom/seat time is not bad if the group is small, but with larger groups I feel like it might not be worth it.

Also, they offer transport service to your BMW center and its stated that the cost is picked up by either the owner or center. Anyone have a center that paid for transport?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #24
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Anyone know how large the groups are for the sessions? Does the guest get seat time on the track too?

2 hours of classroom/seat time is not bad if the group is small, but with larger groups I feel like it might not be worth it.

Also, they offer transport service to your BMW center and its stated that the cost is picked up by either the owner or center. Anyone have a center that paid for transport?
As I recall (I did PCD with my Z3 Coupe in 2002), there are 5 cars delivered so 5 people plus 5 guests. If your guest does not want to drive, you get their time. Whether each person brings a guest is up in the air though. I think the driving course is a bit longer than 2 hours.

The class time is short. Maybe 15-30 minutes. They go over each station and cover basics such as proper seating position and other stuff.

After the class, you go the driving course. You get a set number of runs (I want to say 10 runs per driver per station) at each station and then your guest gets the same number of runs. As I recall you do:
Station 1: Slalom
Station 2: Braking - Get the car up to a certain speed and then stop as fast as you can. They shorten the braking distance with each run.
Station 3: Traction control on wet pavement with traction control on and with it off.
Station 4: Track - They have a small track setup and you go as fast as you like. If you are lucky, Donnie Isley, the instructor there, will take you on a few hotlaps in his M5.

When I was there, we did not do the off road course, I think this is for X customers only but they may have started including it as a part of the experience.

I will do my best to document the experience in great detail. They were introducing the Z4 in May 2002 so I could not get a camera onto the driving course.

I am not sure about the transport question.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #25
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Thanks GREAT info.

Do the 5 pairs rotate through all the stations together or do some get a tour while others get the driving experience and then switch?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #26
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Thanks GREAT info.

Do the 5 pairs rotate through all the stations together or do some get a tour while others get the driving experience and then switch?
All 5 cars are on the driving course at the same time. While one person is driving on a station, The other cars are queued up waiting. You make one run and move to the back of the line. You are not sitting there waiting for a car to go on 10 consecutive runs. There is very little "downtime" this way as after your run and you are getting in line, 2 cars have made the run by the time you get back in line.

Each car gets a radio and the instructor talks to you through the radio if need be.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #27
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

Is there any extra cost for PCD?
      03-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #28
1050Wien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsports_3 View Post
Nope, no extra cost. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #29
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsports_3 View Post
You are responsible for getting to South Carolina, that is the only additional cost. BMW gives you one night at The Marriott Hotel, comped dinner and breakfast. At the Performance Center, they feed you lunch.
Appreciate 0