BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Mann vs Micron Air Cabin Filter Differences

I know this is not a big topic compared to Akra Exhausts, oils, turbos and clutches but wanted to share what I noticed yesterday when changing out the cabin filter in my 1M. I faithfully use BMW or Mann filters for years. This year while ordering my cabin filter I noticed that Micron Air was listed as the original equipment manufacturer supplier for BMW and I also noticed that the Mann filter cost about $3 more. Since it's not a critical part, I decided to order Micron Air. It is also OEM for VW and I have a GTI. So yesterday, I went to swap it and pull out the previous Mann filter and immediately I'm struck by the weight difference. The Mann charcoal feels like it weights almost double what the Micron Air charcoal. For a second, I wonder if I accidentally received a non charcoal version so I inspect them both. The Mann filter was made in Germany and has about double the charcoal. It has a thicker layer of it and it covers edge to edge. I put them up to the light and no light passes through the Mann filter. The Micron air on the other hand is made in Slovakia and I notice the sloppy mold residue splatter on the paper. Also the charcoal is very thin and no charcoal for about half inch along one entire edge. You can see the light shines right through it in second picture. Finally, the fit was still good for the Micron Air.

So anyway I put it in since it's not a big deal but I will be staying with Mann for the near future if I decide not to use BMW OE parts.
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 07-05-2020 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 3
mtl8851.00
///BYU268.50
      07-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Good to know! I was just looking at cabin filters as well. I was replacing my engine cover on the weekend with a painted one and when I took off the cabin filter I noticed it was pretty dirty so I put it on my list to get a new one. I did come across two different Mann versions though:

Mann Filter FP 8430 FreciousPlus Cabin Air Filter: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00URDQ5YK/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Mann-Filter CUK 8430 Cabin Filter With Activated Charcoal: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001DRHMMS/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Not sure which to get or what the difference is. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Good to know! I was just looking at cabin filters as well. I was replacing my engine cover on the weekend with a painted one and when I took off the cabin filter I noticed it was pretty dirty so I put it on my list to get a new one. I did come across two different Mann versions though:

Mann Filter FP 8430 FreciousPlus Cabin Air Filter: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00URDQ5YK/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Mann-Filter CUK 8430 Cabin Filter With Activated Charcoal: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001DRHMMS/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Not sure which to get or what the difference is. Thoughts?
Arvin my friend from up north. I got the second one CUK. That's the normal style. The other is foofy and it's supposed to turn farts into whisps of rose. Since our cars are M cars with MANual transmission. I went with the Manliest Mann filter they make which is the normal activated charcoal. If that doesn't convince you the normal one will make your car go faster too. : )
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Arvin my friend from up north. I got the second one CUK. That's the normal style. The other is foofy and it's supposed to turn farts into whisps of rose. Since our cars are M cars with MANual transmission. I went with the Manliest Mann filter they make which is the normal activated charcoal. If that doesn't convince you the normal one will make your car go faster too. : )
Haha, well said! How's your 1M doing? I've yet to take mine out..I just bought an updated sticker and have to call insurance to re-enable it.

That's what I thought...wasn't sure what that other one was, hadn't seen it before. I'll stick to the manliest version
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha, well said! How's your 1M doing? I've yet to take mine out..I just bought an updated sticker and have to call insurance to re-enable it.

That's what I thought...wasn't sure what that other one was, hadn't seen it before. I'll stick to the manliest version
Yeah, my Canadian 1M is doing well down here. We went for a drive to San Clemente Cars and Coffee on saturday and it was great. Yes, every now and then it starts to complain about how our beer is not as good as the Canadian stuff and how the scenery was prettier in Ontario but when I get annoyed I just put the picture of his brother Hans in Ontario, rest his little N54 soul, on the storage cabinet in front mine and it stops complaining. Works every time.

I'm attaching it here for my fellow Canadian 1M owners in case your cars start to get all misty about LaBatts and landscapes!

: )

Can't wait till you come visit Arvin and we can get a beer together! If you don't like the American stuff, we got some good Mexican beer and some local craft stuff too.

Rest in peace Hans!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, my Canadian 1M is doing well down here. We went for a drive to San Clemente Cars and Coffee on saturday and it was great. Yes, every now and then it starts to complain about how our beer is not as good as the Canadian stuff and how the scenery was prettier in Ontario but when I get annoyed I just put the picture of his brother Hans in Ontario, rest his little N54 soul, on the storage cabinet in front mine and it stops complaining. Works every time.

I'm attaching it here for my fellow Canadian 1M owners in case your cars start to get all misty about LaBatts and landscapes!

Can't wait till you come visit Arvin and we can get a beer together! If you don't like the American stuff, we got some good Mexican beer and some local craft stuff too.

Rest in peace Hans!
Oh my goodness...Hans is not having a good time there lol..wowzers. I'll trade you some Canadian beer for some In-N-Out or Shake Shack any day.

My brother used to live in San Jose at the boom of Silicon Valley and I remember visiting him a few times and we had In-N-Out..was amazing. On the east coast, Shake Shack has been my go-to whenever I visit New York or Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Rest in peace Hans!
Oh my goodness...Hans is not having a good time there lol..wowzers. I'll trade you some Canadian beer for some In-N-Out or Shake Shack any day.

My brother used to live in San Jose at the boom of Silicon Valley and I remember visiting him a few times and we had In-N-Out..was amazing. On the east coast, Shake Shack has been my go-to whenever I visit New York or Chicago.
In and Out it is! Look forward to it.
Appreciate 0