BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
Losttide
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 135i DCT

I just wanted to say hey and show the move I made from a '12 Golf R to a '13 135i.

The 1er had some suspension work done by the previous owner, which is not the best. It has a rake, so I assume that the springs are H&Rs. It has koni yellows as well, but they bottom out on large bumps and dips. DFW roads are not the smoothest, but my R had the stock suspension, which was stiffer than average, and never bottomed out. Would adjusting the konis make a difference or do I need to change to a less aggressive spring to fix the harsh ride? This car is going to be a dd, that can be fun on backroads and on ramps. It will see 70% highway miles. I don't care how it looks as much as I care about function.

Other than that, it's a great little car with more potential and 75,000 less miles than the R.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
BAN_M2C4153.00
Esteban42184.00
Gangplank1538.50
low1352209.00
Matticus913469.50
Fakemike368.50
      07-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Very nice. Congrats! You’re going to fall in love with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Looks clean congrats!

Reasons to move away from the Golf R? Heard really good things about them.
      07-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Losttide
United_States
Rep

The R was a great car, but with all the driving I do, i was getting tired of working the clutch in traffic. My 135i is DCT. The MK6 R was only manual in the US. I also really like the smooth power delivery of the N55 compared to the 2.0 TFSI engine in the R. The R had noticeable turbo lag. I had a stage 2(non-HPFP) tune on it, so it had around the same power as the 135i does currently. Maybe a tad more. I had to upgrade the motor and transmission mounts to handle the power, which caused vibrations and rattles. It isn't as nice of a place to be as the 1er. I think if it had the dsg, I would probably still have it though. I had it for 2 years and it only broke down once because the mounts were shot and a coolant line ruptured from the rocking of the engine.

The steering feel on the 135i is far better. The interior is nicer. I had reached a point with the R where I didn't want to put the money into to it to get it where I wanted. I could put less money into the 135i and be closer to what I wanted. The 135i is better on the highway and that is where the car will be 70% of the time. I don't need the awd. I don't need the four doors.

After a week in the 135i, I don't miss the R, so it was probably the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Heard good things about the R as well.

Can't go wrong with the 135i, though. Great car!

I have the DCT too and love it.

Congrats and welcome to 1ADDICTS!

Lots of good info here, so read on!
      07-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63S Sedan|350Z

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
Congrats man!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Welcome to 1Addicts!
For the suspension- I'd suggest getting front end then the back end up on ramps and check the bump stops while at ride height, and how much travel you have before hitting them.

People seem to have problems selecting the correct bump stops for this suspension, and often end up with not enough travel before hitting the bump stops.

I went with Koni and Eibach Pro-Kit springs and used the sport suspension bump stops only to have it essentially sitting on the bump stops at ride height. Trimmed em by ~half and it's been perfect.

The Eibach's have less drip than the H&R's....

X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 1
Esteban42184.00
      07-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

congratulations!

your suspension looks pretty dumped.....honestly if i were you i'd buy some lightly used OEM stock suspension for not much money and throw that on there and learn the car. you can keep the aftermarket suspension you have on the car in the closet OR just sell it and if you really want to upgrade you can do it later.....

personally i'm not a fan of aftermarket suspensions they never seem to be as reasonably balanced as stock. if you're about function i'd go OEM.
      07-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

The new R has about the same power and torque profile as the base Cayman/Boxster plus is AWD, it’s definitely no slouch. Speaking of which can’t wat for our Boxster to arrive tomorrow!

As for the 135i, the DCT is very good especially in sport mode. It keeps you in the powerband and holds gears for the right amount of time. Like the new Golf R, the power and torque profile is very broad and flat so it’s hard to be on the wrong gear.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #10
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Suspension upgrades on the 135 takes a lot or research and intention to get the form & function working in tandem.

Personally I have no issues running a bit of rake on my 135. I'm running 225 F & 255 R tires. There is plenty of rear grip for daily driving unless you are tuned and like speeding tickets. The added rake helps with front end understeer.

That said, your front looks a bit lower than I'd personally like but to each his own.

Suspension upgrades in order of improvement impact: rear subframe bushings or inserts, M3 front control arms, diff brace (optional but helps), then shocks & springs.

BTW I have a set of Msport shocks and/or just the springs if you want them. They are just gathering dust. You gotta pay shipping tho. .
      07-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

The new R has about the same power and torque profile as the base Cayman/Boxster plus is AWD, it's definitely no slouch. Speaking of which can't wat for our Boxster to arrive tomorrow!

As for the 135i, the DCT is very good especially in sport mode. It keeps you in the powerband and holds gears for the right amount of time. Like the new Golf R, the power and torque profile is very broad and flat so it's hard to be on the wrong gear.
Yeah, sport mode definitely makes the car more fun. I like using the paddles as well.
      07-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #12
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

A new 2018 Mark 7.5 (or a slightly used 2015-2017 Mark 7) Golf R would actually be a fairly reasonable car to consider if shopping a used 1-Series.

The cars are not too dissimilar when it comes to interior quality, with the VW having the advantage of newer technology. The current, new, Mk. 7.5 version has the advantage of a 6 year, 72,000 mile warranty, however the car retails for $41K and significant discounts are not going to happen. A used 1-Series can be obtained for half of that or less, but will either have no remaining warranty, or perhaps the tail end of a CPO or 3rd party warranty. Golf Rs do not depreciate as rapidly as the BMW 1-Series has, so a (used) 2016, for example, is probably going to cost a lot more than a 1-Series car.

As to other criteria, the 6MT in the BMWs is much silkier and smoother than the somewhat sloppy 6MT in the R, although you do get used to it. Both DCT and DSG get good reviews from owners, so with an auto they are probably close.

On practicality, the VW wins hands down; it's not as long but it carries more stuff, has a more usable back seat, and the 4 door/hatchback configuration is incredibly useful.

The BMW has RWD, certainly more enjoyable and sportier on dry roads, whereas the front-biased AWD system in the Golf R has its advantages in sloppy weather. The R has "square" tires that can be rotated, whereas the 1-Series has staggered tires and tends to eat the rear ones, which are not cheap to replace.

The electric steering in the Golf R leaves a lot to be desired, but is somewhat better if the "race" setting is chosen in the DCC. The 1-Series hydraulic steering is obviously more enjoyable to use. Speaking of the DCC in the R (dynamic chassis control), which was optional in 2015 and 2016, but then mandatory after that, allows you to tune the suspension, the steering, engine mapping, fake engine noise, and some other factors in the Mark 7.5. This is a real plus, better than anything the BMW has to offer short of a physical suspension upgrade.

All things considered, if someone were looking for a daily driver car that they were going to put miles on, and if they had the funds, I would advise buying a 2018 R, given the 6 year, 72,000 mile warranty. The used 1-Series car is going to be a lot cheaper, but being an out of warranty BMW, it is likely to eat up some of those savings in repair costs. One negative of the 1-Series for a less-than-well capitalized buyer is that there are some things that can break that would be fairly uneconomical to fix given the low valuation the marketplace is giving the car these days. If you bought an older 1-Series, for say, $12,000, a $3500 bill to replace a leaky A/C condenser is just the start of the sort of things that can go wrong, that may put you into a quandary about whether to fix the car when things break. Even if the car looks nearly new, it is hard to put more serious cash into a car like that, which continues to depreciate.

If on the other hand, the buyer were looking for a weekend car on which they did not depend for transportation, the 1-Series is a more fun car to drive.

As long as you know what you are getting into, I don't think you can make a bad choice with either car.
      07-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #13
Losttide
United_States
Rep

New(to me) 135i

I am quite certain that the previous owner wanted the slammed look. While it makes the car look really aggressive, but I would rather have to not worry about bottoming out. I have ramps and jack stands at the warehouse I manage. I will get some pictures the current suspension tomorrow after work. The rear feels fine. It is just the fronts on large dips and bumps. It's not awful, it's just the concrete roads around me that are awful. On asphalt it's fine. There is less body roll than the R. I hope it's just the bumpstops, but it could just be lowered more than I would like. Maybe the springs and front shocks will have to be replaced. But this is just part of the fun

It has slotted and drilled rotors too, so I need to get under it and see if anything else is aftermarket. I wanted to see if it looked as low to y'all as it does to me. I appreciate the responses.

As for the R, it is a great platform. If you get a '15+ dsg R, it will be able to keep up with a lot of cars noticeably more expensive with just a stage 1 tune. The MK6 R had a built FSI engine from the MK5 GTI. I just didn't like the short gears the 6 speed had. You couldn't get to 60mph in 2nd. In 6th gear at 75mph the engine runs at over 3000rpm. Going from 2500rpm to 3000rpm was like a on/off switch in power and it would pull to redline. You just have to ring it out for power. I was at the stock fueling limit tune wise. It's a fun car and I learned a lot doing all the work myself on it. I wanted something more composed on the highway with similar power and size, with the potential to be a better toy later on. The 135i fit the bill.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I can definitely suggest looking into different bump stops (or just trimming them, as 1and1 mentioned). The Konis are fantastic shocks, but you'd need a radically stiff spring to make them work at that low a ride height, with unmodified bump stops.

For the rear, you can get Dinan (if they still make them) rear upper shock mounts, which buy you another centimeter of travel in the rear before hitting the stop (which isn't as hard a stop as the front, since the stock suspension was designed to ride on them), or, just trim the bump stop.

There are also OE-ish solutions, some people will use bump stops from various M cars... Suprgnat may have some insight into that
      07-23-2018, 02:15 AM   #15
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I just replaced my 164,000km OEM suspension with coilovers. The original was "crashing" over sharp dips and bumps. Rear bump stops were destroyed/gone and fronts were split - see photo. One problem with these things is that they actually "ride" on the rear bump stops so, they are doomed to a very short life. https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1075240
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Congrats! I also came from the VW world but with a Jetta. If you want them, I've got OEM springs with 32k miles on em that you can have for free, just cover the shipping from PA

Appreciate 3
Esteban42184.00
BimmerAg425.00
      07-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #17
Losttide
United_States
Rep

After getting under the car, I didn't see anything that looked bad. The bump stops aren't cracking. I couldn't find the bump stops using the part number in the picture. I don't know if they are shorter than stock or not. I confirmed that the current springs are H&R sports.

Now I know nothing is ruined, the question is do I put OEM M sport springs with the konis, go back to a full OEM M sport set up, or get eibach or bmw performance springs with the konis? If the M sport springs will work well with the konis, that will probably be the way I go. Have any of yall tried this set up?

Thanks for all the advice.

The app keeps flipping the pics. I'll fix it when I get home.
Attached Images

Last edited by Losttide; 07-23-2018 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Welcome to 1Addicts!
For the suspension- I'd suggest getting front end then the back end up on ramps and check the bump stops while at ride height, and how much travel you have before hitting them.

People seem to have problems selecting the correct bump stops for this suspension, and often end up with not enough travel before hitting the bump stops.

I went with Koni and Eibach Pro-Kit springs and used the sport suspension bump stops only to have it essentially sitting on the bump stops at ride height. Trimmed em by ~half and it's been perfect.

The Eibach's have less drip than the H&R's....

Hey, does anyone know what style wheels those are??
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #19
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunder View Post
Hey, does anyone know what style wheels those are??
The wheels in the pic above (1and1's car) are BMW style 264 wheels.

Came stock on the Sport package equipped 135i.