BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Help me with a diagnosis!

DCT N55 with almost 80k miles

I was out running errands today when I noticed my idle was slightly fluctuating and irregular lurching (which I've known to be common with DCT cars). I was running AC (which I rarely do). I also noticed that on one of my starts, the car seemed to hiccup a bit to get going (I've already replaced the starter and alternator in the last 10k miles). I assumed it might be due to my fuel since I just switched from Shell to Chevron this week. I had a similar problem a while ago when I was running Costco gas, switched to Shell and problem was solved, so I thought maybe the sudden change in fuel was causing some hiccups.

Anyways. On the highway, car gets a half check engine light and goes into limp mode. Pull over, take the key out, restart, all seems well. Got the car home under cautious driving. With the car in idle, it seemed fine. Then I started to play with the AC a bit. Now I know its normal for the AC to cause some slight fluctuations. Though, when I put the AC on Auto, leave it for a little while, and then shut it off, the whole car seems to stutter almost like a misfire and nearly go into limp mode again.

Initially I thought it may be the HPFP or a VANOS solenoid, but now I'm not so sure.

Hoping this thread can shed some light and maybe help some others too.

Thank y'all!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
DCT N55 with almost 80k miles

I was out running errands today when I noticed my idle was slightly fluctuating and irregular lurching (which I've known to be common with DCT cars). I was running AC (which I rarely do). I also noticed that on one of my starts, the car seemed to hiccup a bit to get going (I've already replaced the starter and alternator in the last 10k miles). I assumed it might be due to my fuel since I just switched from Shell to Chevron this week. I had a similar problem a while ago when I was running Costco gas, switched to Shell and problem was solved, so I thought maybe the sudden change in fuel was causing some hiccups.

Anyways. On the highway, car gets a half check engine light and goes into limp mode. Pull over, take the key out, restart, all seems well. Got the car home under cautious driving. With the car in idle, it seemed fine. Then I started to play with the AC a bit. Now I know its normal for the AC to cause some slight fluctuations. Though, when I put the AC on Auto, leave it for a little while, and then shut it off, the whole car seems to stutter almost like a misfire and nearly go into limp mode again.

Initially I thought it may be the HPFP or a VANOS solenoid, but now I'm not so sure.

Hoping this thread can shed some light and maybe help some others too.

Thank y'all!
Sounds like a bad coil pack
      07-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

You can guess, or you can scan the fault codes and save yourself the uncertainty.

That said, according to a BMW master tech I spoke with, the more-or-less definitive coil pack test is to drive at ~30mph in 6th and floor it. If there's a bad coil, this will expose it.
      07-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

If there's a bad coil it will show up on any scanner, even generic OBD2 scanners. In the year 2018 how does someone with over 800 posts on a car forum not have a scanner?
Appreciate 2
low1352210.50
      07-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
You can guess, or you can scan the fault codes and save yourself the uncertainty.

That said, according to a BMW master tech I spoke with, the more-or-less definitive coil pack test is to drive at ~30mph in 6th and floor it. If there's a bad coil, this will expose it.
Interesting technique, I will have to try it as well, I get a rough idle after startup and wonder if this is my issue as well.

I'm used to pulling codes after I see a CEL, but haven't seen one.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Again according to the aforementioned BMW master tech, coil problems may be quick, transient, and infrequent enough not to set a CEL/SES or fault code, especially early in the failure process. The technique I mentioned may or may not cause a fault to be set, but it should give you a sense of whether you're barking up the right tree.
      07-12-2018, 02:28 AM   #7
Cpt.K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, E82, F80, F85, F87

I had identical symptoms. Started less frequent and only when driving it a bit "harder." Eventually got to pop up more consistent and ended up being one of the VANOS solenoids so I replaced both for good measure.

+1 on reading the codes. Even without CEL there may be pending codes or just scan before you take the key out next time it happens

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Thanks everyone for the input! And usually I leech off my brother in law's OBD reader but he's out of town lol. I should really just buy my own at this point

Slight update:

So it looks like it's an air intake issue. Might have a leak or tear somewhere. Mechanic will be doing an air compression test today.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
guslealisla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I MSport Vert

That happened to mine as I pulled out of the dealership after buying my used 135 with 78k miles no warranty. Code said maf sensor. While replacing it I found the charge pipe blew off and disconnected from the throttle body. New one in the mail. I would check both charge pipe connections