BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
queens1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Petition BMW

First timer thrilled to find this site.

In case BMW has any doubts about US market demnd for such a car, we should petiton BMW to demand that 2 coupe be brought to US with gross curb wt of no more than 3000-3200 lb.

IMO, TT engine is overkill and would skew the 50/50 balance w/o serious weight saving technology in the front end. The add'l weight of the TT engine skewed the 50/50 balance even in the much longer E92 which leads me to believe that a shorter 2 series would present greater weight distribution problems. I've also read that the TT engine renders 6 MT almost pointless to the point that the drivers prefer AT with TT engine.

Anyway, I hope someone with more initiative than myself picks up on the petition thing and runs with it. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Good to have you along.

Good news is that there is a lot of momentum behind the idea that the 1er/2er is coming here for sure. The speculation has narrowed to what variants, engines and prices we will get. But you'll be happy to know that there has been clear indication from BMW senior management that we'll get the baby bimmer.

Latest word is there will be an announcement later this calendar year for a 2008 model in NA. Speculation is strong that the lineup will be made up of a 2-door cabrio, some other 2-door variant (either coupe or hatch) and possibly a sedan. The 5-door hatch launched abroad in 2004 is very unlikely for NA.

Were there to be a petition, the most relevant cause at this point would be to ensure a 2-door coupe is produced for NA. But I'm sure the plans are more or less cast in stone by now in BMW land.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

We're definitely getting a coupe and cabrio it looks like :headbang:

I hope it's around the 3000 mark too but I think the turbo engine and its internals are rather heavy :iono:
Appreciate 0