BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #23
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
You are aware the 135 and the E46 share the same platform right?
Do we have official confirmation on that? From what I have heard the 1-Series and the E9X share the same platform (chassis & suspension).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #24
123d
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
You are aware the 135 and the E46 share the same platform right? I think BMW disagrees with your E46 M3 is yesterday's news comment. :biggrin:
:bs:
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #25
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
You are aware the 135 and the E46 share the same platform right? I think BMW disagrees with your E46 M3 is yesterday's news comment. :biggrin:
I was under the impression that the E8x was a new platform and that the E9x was based upon a revised and stretched E8x platform. However, it would not surprise me if the E46 and E8x platforms share some DNA.

This old vs. new is always a tough argument, but given the choice of a 2002 or most new cars I would probably have more fun in the 2002. That said, I'm also sure that in most cases I would prefer the 135i over the E46 M3. However, I would still love to have a E46 M3 though.

Being older isn't always a bad thing. Although I wouldn't mind trading bodies with my 20 old self, I certainly wouldn't trade paychecks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #26
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
jrsites - As far as the 1 vs Mazda3 goes, here's my $.02 and this is coming from a lot of seat time in my ex-gf's 3. The 3 is a kick ass car, really surprised me. You're preaching to the choir on that car. But I'd get the 128i because as far as true cost to own which a lot of people just never consider and I will never understand why, the bm will be cheaper in the long run. Maintenance is included, and they hold their value like vise grips. Be aggressive in your 128i shopping and you can get a good deal. My last 2 cars, got for $500 over dealer invoice, or about $4-5k under MSRP, deals are there to be had if you're persistent enough. Here's the argument I always give them. Mention the lifetime value of a customer. You don't have to know what it is, trust me, they do.

Also you will enjoy the added refinement on your 128i on that same daily commute. That's coming from my Z to bm transition. Z great, bm could doing all the Z could do, but just do it in that bmw way that it is impossible to put into words. :wub:
I knew we were a lot alike.

Total ownership cost is one of the most important factors I consider. It's why, of the last 6 vehicles I've owned, 5 of them have been Hondas or Toyotas. I've been so anxious to get out of the truck that I'm driving now and back into a car, that I've considered trading it straight across for a new Mazda3 to drive until the 1er gets here (Tacomas hold their value so well, that with the Ford S-Plan pricing I have access to, I can get a new Mazda3 for the Wholesale value of my 2.5 year old truck). But, after researching the depreciation of the Mazda, especially in the first year, I've decided to just trundle along in the Tacoma for another 9 months or so. I'm right with you on total ownership costs. BUT (here comes my pragmatic side again), is the 128i going to be $10,000 cheaper (the difference in acquisition cost) to own over the period of time I have it? Probably not.

I don't need to worry about working for a good deal. I'm lucky enough to have a good relationship with a dealer via my parents, whose last three cars have been BMWs purchased through this dealer. I actually feel bad for many of you guys, since most of you are having to agree to pay MSRP and I won't have to. :biggrin:

I won't need to use the point, but I do understand lifetime value of a customer. I work in marketing, and it seems like we have to spend a lot of time convincing bean counters that having an entry-level product is worth much more to the company than the small profit (or loss) that it generates.

The added refinement is really what keeps me waiting for the 1er. Everyone derives intrinsic value from different things. Some people see cars as nothing more than a conveyance from A to B. But I actually get a sense of pleasure from driving a refined car that handles well. Conversely, there are some people who will spend $10,000+ on a home theater system. I, personally, don't get any marginal personal benefit from a $10,000 system over, say, a $4,000 system. But I get that some people do. For me, the refinement of the BMW is (as of today) worth the extra money a 128i will cost me over the Mazda3.

You know, when I was thinking about buying the E90, I took one home overnight. Every time I walked to the garage to drive it, I got a goofy grin on my face. It was the thought of interacting with such a well-refined car, even just going to the grocery store. I tried to explain it to my wife, but all I could say was "When you drive one, you just get it."
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #27
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Why not consider leasing?

For 3 years, very low miles, and no need to worry about reselling it when you leave Germany, I think leasing would be perfect.
Leasing is definitely an option that's on the table, but knowing what the payments will be are still some time away. BMW has to determine what the residuals and money factors will be. Not sure when that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Things will be much more clear once you drive the 135i. As of now, we are assuming that an E46 M3 would be more fun to drive. I really couldnt make a decision on a car I havent driven but once you do, you will know what you will want to do. Personally, the prospect of a used M car is unappealing to me but that is just me...
Wasn't trying to imply the M will be more fun to drive. The 135i I have a good feeling will surpass this car in almost every key category, but not by night and day margins. I'm just struggling justifying cost of the 135 over an M3 which I think will be as fun and can be had for significantly less cizzash. I'm looking for support for the 135 over M3 argument.

As far as the platform issue, I could be totally wrong about it sharing the E46 platform, I don't work at BMW, but I know I read that in C&D, and God knows they don't know everything either. I can't find the article. Either way, the "old" M3 is still a great car and I wasn't looking to start a M is better or the 135 is based xx debate. I just want to justify the price difference and was looking for insights.

C'mon guys, think harder!!!! :biggrin:

This is what I have so far in my mind for advantages of the 135:
1. 135 will ultimately be more tunable. It will keep my interest longer as new things will be coming out for it all the time. Get to go back to my grease monkey days.
2. 135 is about 5 inches shorter, big +.
3. 135 has the LED tails, as cheesy as that sounds I love that even though I know I'll never see it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #28
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Offtopic but related to VAG: I saw an S5 the other day, you want to talk about a car that is absolutely gorgeous!!! If I ever bought cars based solely on how it looks, that one would be hard to beat. I like the direction VAG is headed. You see the spy pics of the new Scirroco released today?
Yup, "Gorgeous" definately describes the S5 :eyebulge: And I personally think the Scirocco should've been named the Corrado

[s]Back on topic, adc had a great point, why not lease?[/s]

Edit: Whoops, nevermind

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #29
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

jrsites, the way the door closes with that 'thunk', the look of the staggered wheels, the perfectly weighted steering wheel, that just right braking effort, the pride you feel when you look over at some1 else's car look at their puny little disc brakes and wonder to yourself how does that thing even stop with those little brakes, that's all a part of what makes these cars special and is where your money goes. :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #30
Spoonie
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X MR

Quote:
Can you show me some proof other than the Car and Driver Article? I've yet to hear BMW say that the 1-series is based off the E46. I will not believe it unless it comes from BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #31
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonie View Post
Can you show me some proof other than the Car and Driver Article? I've yet to hear BMW say that the 1-series is based off the E46. I will not believe it unless it comes from BMW
C&D retracted that statement the following month.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #32
Spoonie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123d View Post
:bs:
Let it go. The E46 M3 is done. Sorry to break it to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #33
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let it go. The E46 M3 is done. Sorry to break it to you.
I understand your point and factually you're correct. Afterall a new E92 based M3 is out, but I still wouldn't call the E46 M3 a dinosaur.

Frankly if someone offered you an E46 M3 would you really say "Gee no thanks!!! It's a POS".
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #34
Spoonie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
Frankly if someone offered you an E46 M3 would you really say "Gee no thanks!!! It's a POS".

No, I would grab the keys and enjoy the hell out of the car and probably keep it for life. I never said that the E46 wasn't a classic:wink:
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #35
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I would grab the keys and enjoy the hell out of the car and probably keep it for life. I never said that the E46 wasn't a classic:wink:
LOL... I would do the same thing, as would probably most of the posters here.:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 06:12 AM   #36
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Spoonie, you're not helpin me man. Are you against it or for it??? :tongue: No 1 has really said ok here are some reasons why I would def take the 135 over the M. I thought for sure you guys would have talked me out of it already.

I think what I may do now, is try hard to find an excellent deal on an M, and sell or trade it when my 135i arrives. I love the idea of both cars. I would really like to take advantage of the summer when I'm not forced to have snow tires though. Waiting to Dec will be tough.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #37
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

MD, how much longer will you be in Germany?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #38
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I have another solid 2.5 years here, minimum. I can extend that to 4.5.

I think I've backed away from the ledge and have gone back to the 135i. Realized I was just being impatient with the M, wanting something now. Tuning the 135 will be very fulfilling for me and I'm looking forward to that.

I'm sure I will change my mind a 1000x between now and December. Maybe I'll just got another motorcycle, I need something to cure the bug.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #39
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I have another solid 2.5 years here, minimum. I can extend that to 4.5.
In that case, if it were me, I'd stick with the 1er. You'll be there long enough to get enough fun out of it to make it worth the investment before you have to sell it to move back. If you were only going to be there a year or so, my advice would be to just find something used to thrash around until you get back to the States, THEN get your 1er.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #40
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Dude, if you'll be there for the full 5 then "Do It"
You sure you don't have a DoD status?? The "Limit" on those are 5 years as well I was a GS when I bought DB through Military Sales so it's not just the Active Duty guys thata qualify

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #41
Spoonie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Spoonie, you're not helpin me man. Are you against it or for it??? :tongue: No 1 has really said ok here are some reasons why I would def take the 135 over the M. I thought for sure you guys would have talked me out of it already.

I think what I may do now, is try hard to find an excellent deal on an M, and sell or trade it when my 135i arrives. I love the idea of both cars. I would really like to take advantage of the summer when I'm not forced to have snow tires though. Waiting to Dec will be tough.
Personally after serious thought. I'd get the used M3. But I'm not really in your situation. The only thing on my mind right now is the 135. But for someone considering both the M3 or the 135? I'd say go for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #42
Spoonie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I'll just got another motorcycle,
We have something else in common besides our love for fine automobiles. I just wrecked my 2005 GSXR1000. I've been riding since I was 18 (41 now) with a 10 year break in between. I still don't know what happened. I did a wheelie (I’ve done hundreds) and when the bike landed, the front tire tucked-in and low-sided me at about 75mph. That why I'm giving up bikes. The accident was bizarre to say the least. The bike slid for 153 feet (I measured it), and I slid for about 100ft. All of this happening right in front of my home.

The damage to my body was minimal (considering the speed). I always wear a leather jacket, boots and gloves. I ended up with some serious road rash on both knees that's still burning the crap out of me 8 days later! And I also have a seriously sprained thumb (X-rays were negative). My head was rolling along the edge of the sidewalk seriously scratching my helmet and ripping off the face shield. My right hand glove was torn down the center with a few fingers exposed. The boot laces on one of my boots (right side) were torn and ripped apart. The only part of the laces that were still in the loops was the top portion where I tied them! What else? My $2,500 Omega seamaster Watch flew off my wrist (I usually leave it home when I ride). I didn’t notice that the watch was missing until about an hour afterwards. People walk down the street all the time so I thought it was gone. I looked anyway and there it was against the side walk. The watch is serviceable J. My cell phone which was in my jacket pocket screen cracked. Surprisingly, my Icon leather jacket can still be worn. They are scrapes but no tears. Be careful with the bikes.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #43
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Please let me know your thoughts about pros and cons of:

1. Staus quo - No car
2. Used M3 now, or
3. new 135i in Dec.

Somebody talk me back into the 1er coupe.
Personally I would go for a used M3 now.
Here's my reasoning:
1. The first 2 -3 years have the highest depreciation, so if you go for a 1er coupe, the cost per year will be pretty steep (assuming you're in country for only 2 - 3 years and you're going to dump the 1er before the return home).
2. If you get a used 3 - 5 yr old M3, you should be able to get her at 50 - 60% of MSRP and drive her for 2 - 3 years and still get 30 - 40% back when you head home.

My guess is that the total cost of ownership of the used M3 will be significantly less than the cost of owning the new 1er coupe during your stay.
And the added bonus is that you can get a used M3 now and start enjoying Der Autobahns now.:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #44
Endgame
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Personally I would go for a used M3 now.
Here's my reasoning:
1. The first 2 -3 years have the highest depreciation, so if you go for a 1er coupe, the cost per year will be pretty steep (assuming you're in country for only 2 - 3 years and you're going to dump the 1er before the return home).
2. If you get a used 3 - 5 yr old M3, you should be able to get her at 50 - 60% of MSRP and drive her for 2 - 3 years and still get 30 - 40% back when you head home.

My guess is that the total cost of ownership of the used M3 will be significantly less than the cost of owning the new 1er coupe during your stay.
And the added bonus is that you can get a used M3 now and start enjoying Der Autobahns now.:headbang:

Newbie question. Why would a used M3 have a lower cost of ownership than a new 1er?
Appreciate 0