BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
fastauto
Captain
fastauto's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

suspension & spacers

I should be getting my white 1M within the next month or so and would like to have a few mods ready. I am in the market for a set of coilovers and a set of spacers (front & rear). Does anyone know if i can simply grab a coilover kit for a current E92 M3 or will the spring rates be different? Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Schnorbitz's Avatar
Scotland
5
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: 318d
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Weird approach I have to say, modding for the sake of modding without even having driven it yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
ianc's Avatar
United_States
200
Rep
1,224
Posts

Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Redwood Shores, California

iTrader: (0)

Dude, the thing is supposed to go like stink out of the box. Why not drive it first and see if it needs anything?

On the other hand, can I buy your suspension bits cheap after you tear everything apart and install coilovers?

ianc
__________________
"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
l888apex
First Lieutenant
l888apex's Avatar
9
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn

iTrader: (0)

sounds like he is more concerned with being "hella flush" than being fast
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
///1M
Captain
17
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: between Indiana and the alley

iTrader: (0)

+1 to all the responses.

BMW used the following resources to perfectly tune the springs and dampers, specifically for the 1M:

- Some of the world's most acclaimed, award-winning automotive performance engineers, with many years of experience.
- Ostensibly the best tuning equipment available.
- An optimal testing and tuning environment -- the Nuerburgring.

Why screw with it. And he hasn't even driven the car? A little sad...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
0
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: 1M ordered
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

I disagree with the suspension, but spacers I understand
I personally hate how "sunken" in rims are these days. Even without dumping the car on super flush rim fitment, or "hellaflush", I think rims with spacers to make it more flush with the fender of the car looks good.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
l888apex
First Lieutenant
l888apex's Avatar
9
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn

iTrader: (0)

Not sure how strong the OEM wheel studs are, but you can't usually go with more than a 10 or 15mm spacer without changing them to something like ARPs. Not going to be able to tell until you get the car but I'm willing to bet that they will not have too much extra length judging by the pictures I've seen. And spacers with built in studs are an awful idea, speaking from experience with good ones that broke anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
716
Rep
4,379
Posts

Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cedar Park, TX

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.67]
2014 BMW i3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
Not sure how strong the OEM wheel studs are, but you can't usually go with more than a 10 or 15mm spacer without changing them to something like ARPs. Not going to be able to tell until you get the car but I'm willing to bet that they will not have too much extra length judging by the pictures I've seen. And spacers with built in studs are an awful idea, speaking from experience with good ones that broke anyway.
BMW's use lug bolts and any quality spacer will come with longer bolts that are designed for the specific spacer size.
__________________
2011 E92 M3(Sold). 2007 Honda S2000 (Track Car). 2016 Cayman GT4 (Sold). 2017 Shelby GT350 (AKA Crowd Killer).

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
fastauto
Captain
fastauto's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

The spacers I guess I will wait on to get the proper measurement and then i will get the studs needed. As far as the suspension is concerned I do not doubt its going to be great out of the box however I do think the car sits very high. I highly doubt replacing the stock suspension with an ohlins kit or nice kw kit is going to ruin the car so relax lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
fastauto
Captain
fastauto's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
1 to all the responses.

BMW used the following resources to perfectly tune the springs and dampers, specifically for the 1M:

- Some of the world's most acclaimed, award-winning automotive performance engineers, with many years of experience.
- Ostensibly the best tuning equipment available.
- An optimal testing and tuning environment -- the Nuerburgring.

Why screw with it. And he hasn't even driven the car? A little sad...

Sad because I think the car sits high? Sad because I plan on setting the car up for a few autox and de events?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
fastauto
Captain
fastauto's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
Not sure how strong the OEM wheel studs are, but you can't usually go with more than a 10 or 15mm spacer without changing them to something like ARPs. Not going to be able to tell until you get the car but I'm willing to bet that they will not have too much extra length judging by the pictures I've seen. And spacers with built in studs are an awful idea, speaking from experience with good ones that broke anyway.
Agreed, it makes sense for me to hold on this. I have not read anything positive about the dual kits. I would simply get long studs and then the proper spacer after taking a measurement
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
///1M
Captain
17
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: between Indiana and the alley

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
Sad because I think the car sits high? Sad because I plan on setting the car up for a few autox and de events?
In OEM spec, the car pulls .98G's IIRC, according to C&D's testing.

Although, if you're just wanting it to sit lower, that's a different story.

Either way, I hope it works for you!! I'm excited about the 1M in general, and hope we all get the best!

(By the way I do agree with you that the car sits high.)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
fastauto
Captain
fastauto's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post
I disagree with the suspension, but spacers I understand
I personally hate how "sunken" in rims are these days. Even without dumping the car on super flush rim fitment, or "hellaflush", I think rims with spacers to make it more flush with the fender of the car looks good.
The way the wheels sit in drives me nuts and I get the stock suspension is nice but I fail to see how anyone can think adding a fully adjustable suspension to a car would ruin it. An after market suspension does not mean I am going to dump the car on a ground like a gangster. People need to relax. To be honest I really would love to run a wide set of rubber on a set of light weight 18s
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
fastauto
Captain
fastauto's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
In OEM spec, the car pulls .98G's IIRC, according to C&D's testing.

Although, if you're just wanting it to sit lower, that's a different story.

Either way, I hope it works for you!! I'm excited about the 1M in general, and hope we all get the best!

(By the way I do agree with you that the car sits high.)
I'm pretty excited also. I am a big Porsche/Audi guy but I had to pick this thing up. It reminds me of a Porsche GT2 with it's rwd, LSD, wide body, twin turbo charged goodness!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
60
Rep
1,421
Posts

Drives: 2012 Golf R
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Throwing m3 coilovers at it won't work. The spring rates and dampers must be adjusted due to the lower weight of the 1. My car is headed to BimmerWorld very soon after delivery so hang out and see what we come up with. I'm planning on a lightweight 18" square setup as well so we are on the same page. 275's on all 4 corners is my goal.
__________________
Dan Parker
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
fastauto
Captain
fastauto's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Throwing m3 coilovers at it won't work. The spring rates and dampers must be adjusted due to the lower weight of the 1. My car is headed to BimmerWorld very soon after delivery so hang out and see what we come up with. I'm planning on a lightweight 18" square setup as well so we are on the same page. 275's on all 4 corners is my goal.
very nice, it looks like we are on the same page. i am 100% going to check in with you after delivery. it was the spring rates i was worried about as i can always adjust the dampers. im thinking a wide, sticky 18 inch setup would be ideal for this car. the spacers were going to hold me over with the 19's till i figure out what route i want to go with the 18's. what width are you looking at on the 18 to run that 275?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #17
///M1
Brigadier General
///M1's Avatar
United_States
132
Rep
3,095
Posts

Drives: Many
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North of 4K RPM

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Mods are in the eye of the beholder. You guys are too brutal with fastauto. If he doesn't like the looks (and of course handling characteristics which it seems he can make a determination soon enough), he's the owner and he can do whatever he pleases with it. By the same token, why not thrash everyone that wants a power mod on the 1 ///M, you can surely claim M GmbH 'perfected' the engine enough and optimized it for the platform. We are all car junkies here, and often what comes out of the factory, no matter how much engineering work went into devising something, is simply not enough. At the end of the day, it serves the 'masses of buyers', not each individual's taste.

Anyhow, with that said, I too think the car 'needs' spacers at a minimum. Even though the wheels are very wide (9"/10"), the body is even wider, creating a bit of a pigeon toe look. It appears from the pics, though tough to really say without trying, you may have enough clearance for a 10mm spacer on all 4 corners. But I would definitely get the longer bolts.

I too agree car sits way too high (in fact, specs show it is higher than a 135i). I will wait and see what the aftermarket community releases (Harold already said they will be releasing springs and an overall suspension package for the 1 ///M), most likely my suspension mods will be just camber plates, aftermarket springs with a modest drop (but optimized for the 1 ///M, not generic M3 ones), spacers, and prolly slapping the rear tires up front (easily done on a 9" wheel) and going with 285/30s in the back.

Let us know how you proceed and get your baby soon (and then post pics)!
__________________
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, all options; Renntech, Akrapovic, Forge, P3, RevoZ CF bits, many mods
1988 BMW E30 M3: Hennarot, S14, stock
2016 Porsche 981 GT4: Guards Red, LWBS, SC, full leather
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
fastauto
Captain
fastauto's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Mods are in the eye of the beholder. You guys are too brutal with fastauto. If he doesn't like the looks (and of course handling characteristics which it seems he can make a determination soon enough), he's the owner and he can do whatever he pleases with it. By the same token, why not thrash everyone that wants a power mod on the 1 ///M, you can surely claim M GmbH 'perfected' the engine enough and optimized it for the platform. We are all car junkies here, and often what comes out of the factory, no matter how much engineering work went into devising something, is simply not enough. At the end of the day, it serves the 'masses of buyers', not each individual's taste.

Anyhow, with that said, I too think the car 'needs' spacers at a minimum. Even though the wheels are very wide (9"/10"), the body is even wider, creating a bit of a pigeon toe look. It appears from the pics, though tough to really say without trying, you may have enough clearance for a 10mm spacer on all 4 corners. But I would definitely get the longer bolts.

I too agree car sits way too high (in fact, specs show it is higher than a 135i). I will wait and see what the aftermarket community releases (Harold already said they will be releasing springs and an overall suspension package for the 1 ///M), most likely my suspension mods will be just camber plates, aftermarket springs with a modest drop (but optimized for the 1 ///M, not generic M3 ones), spacers, and prolly slapping the rear tires up front (easily done on a 9" wheel) and going with 285/30s in the back.

Let us know how you proceed and get your baby soon (and then post pics)!
thank you. people in this forum need to relax a little bit. while this car is going to be one of the greats its sill a road going car. if you guys would like to take this thing and put it in your garage and rub it down every once in a while thats up to you however i plan on using mine. if i was talking about adding neon lights and painting my roof black and bolting things on that serve no purpose then you can jump down my throat. i am talking about mods that serve a purpose. this is a twin turbo charged car. i am not talking about an turbo upgrades however if anyone does not think something like a software flash is going to transform this car then i think you have any clue what its all about. i do not race my car a quarter mile at a time nor will i ever but i do love the potential this car has to be an all around champ.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
///1M
Captain
17
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: between Indiana and the alley

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
thank you. people in this forum need to relax a little bit. while this car is going to be one of the greats its sill a road going car. if you guys would like to take this thing and put it in your garage and rub it down every once in a while thats up to you however i plan on using mine. if i was talking about adding neon lights and painting my roof black and bolting things on that serve no purpose then you can jump down my throat. i am talking about mods that serve a purpose. this is a twin turbo charged car. i am not talking about an turbo upgrades however if anyone does not think something like a software flash is going to transform this car then i think you have any clue what its all about. i do not race my car a quarter mile at a time nor will i ever but i do love the potential this car has to be an all around champ.
Yes, I'll probably go for a flash as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #20
Franklin Joseph
Captain
51
Rep
820
Posts

Drives: X5 - MCS - M2
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (1)

Dan, when are you taking delivery?

i contacted apex and looks like i can probably run the arc8 18x10 et 25 wheels.
I have some hoosier 255/35-18 (these tires run wide) i'll test fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #21
Hairlesswookiee
Enlisted Member
Hairlesswookiee's Avatar
1
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2008 STI
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pensacola, Fl

iTrader: (0)

IMO you should at least drive it around stock for a month, and maybe try AutoX with the stock setup before modding it. This might give you a better idea of what YOU specifically want the car to do when considering suspension.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #22
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
85
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: BMW M135i MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I don't seem to understand what a difference a couple of 10mm spacer makes.
It seems people usually want to get spacers for optical reasons ?

A spoiler? yes, I get that.
Wide body kit? Check.
Diffusor? Check
Other rims ? Check

But 20 millimeter widened track? That's like 1% difference?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST