BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #67
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

I took Orca in for her 15K mile checkup yesterday and pointed out the C-pillar hole (which is almost worn all the way through now). My SA is getting in touch with BMWNA to get a warranty replacement. I'll hear next week.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #68
enigma135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 SG/Coral 135i Convertible

Good luck Amy, and everyone else with this issue. Hoping mine won't have this problem when I get her back.

Waiting on mine to be redelivered from ED, but while I was out there and lowered and raised the top I could see a loose wire on the passenger side, is this normal or should I get them to check that when I pick up my car here
      10-14-2009, 08:22 AM   #69
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Orca is in getting her new top. I'm in a 328 coupe for the day.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #70
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Got mine replaced recently, too. SA took one look at it and asked if I minded if they replaced it. No protest from me.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #71
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Man, I wonder how many have been replaced? I had mine replaced because of the rear defrost and I know of another member in town who also has had his top replaced. I guess that's what happens with a vert.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #72
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

When I called to see if it was ready, my SA told me they'd replaced the top but it would take a little longer because they were applying the fix to prevent it from happening again. So there's hope this is the end of it!

And right now, I have a wrinkle-free top. And she's likely to stay that way for a bit, because we've got rain for the next few days.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #73
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
When I called to see if it was ready, my SA told me they'd replaced the top but it would take a little longer because they were applying the fix to prevent it from happening again. So there's hope this is the end of it!

And right now, I have a wrinkle-free top. And she's likely to stay that way for a bit, because we've got rain for the next few days.

amy!
Glad to hear it's being taken care of. Can you let us know what the dealer's fix is? Thanks.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #74
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Glad to hear it's being taken care of. Can you let us know what the dealer's fix is? Thanks.

Tom
That I cannot, sorry. Although I am a woman in a technical field, I fall victim to the "don't worry your pretty little head over it" quite a bit from service advisors. The blonde hair probably doesn't help.

It actually happened twice with this visit -- the sudden shift to cold weather this week tripped the tire pressure sensors and because I was going there anyway, I just asked them to even out the tires and reset it for me rather than stop to do it myself. My regular SA didn't sign me in, so the first guy gave me a lecture about them, even after I succinctly explained what was going on. And he must have put it in the computer as some sort of other code to take care of. Because then my SA called me to discuss picking up the car and told me that there were no tire problems and I said that I knew and explained again why I mentioned it, but he continued to tell me not to worry when the alarm goes off and to just visually look at the tires. *sigh*

Because I'm new to BMW and this dealership and because Orca really doesn't need anything difficult that I've had to pay for, I'm just enduring this treatment for now. Frankly, I was surprised that he mentioned they were doing something to prevent the problem from coming back.

My previous Honda was pretty worry-free when I had it too, but the few complicated things I needed, I ended up with a female SA and she told it straight. The last male service advisor I had who didn't give me patronizing shit and really told me what was going on with my car was Kevin at Culver City Subaru in California in the late 90s when I had a Justy with all sorts of issues. I sometimes really miss that Justy. And Kevin.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #75
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Hard to believe that even in today's time the SA's treat you like that just because your female.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #76
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
Hard to believe that even in today's time the SA's treat you like that just because your female.
It's really subtle, but when you encounter it, you know it. The younger guys on here have described the same treatment at times. But for women, you don't grow out of getting it.

I'm sure it's a lot better than was in days past. And they probably don't realize they're doing it. But I get more "simple" explanations for things I have already described in greater detail from SA types than I do elsewhere, except maybe for at Home Depot (which is about the same). They probably think they're being helpful, but they don't listen to the expertise level at which I am describing things and they clearly cast their explanations to a more novice audience. I have much better success with SAs that are women or those that are guys who are in their mid-30s and younger.

Part of it is that I look a lot younger than I am and owning a cute, fun car doesn't help my case. Part of it is probably also that a lot of typical BMW owners don't know much about their cars, they just want them to go when they want them to.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #77
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My e88 was produced in June 2009 so I'm hoping the top has the "fix" but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I've found my Viair 70P compressor very useful for maintaining tire pressure. I bought it partially to not feel I was without options if I get a flat. My flats in other cars have always been slow leaks so a compressor would get me home without damaging the tire beyond the possibility of a plug solving the problem. I also have a 120V compressor with plenty of hose and a handy attachment with gauge for filling tires but I now just use the 70P instead of driving around to the other garage to use my big compressor. It fills the tires fast enough it would take longer to move the car. I paid about $45 delivered. It also fits nicely in one of the side compartments of the trunk it it's little bag.

Jim
      10-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #78
604_e90325i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i jet black

i bring in my car to the dealer and try to get the roof top replace... and you know what they told me... "that's normal wear of the roof" I try pretty much everything, and they just keep telling me is not thier fault, is BMW canada say no to the warranty... and this is from BJ bmw vancouver, b.c. and i have been dealing with this company for 10 yrs... any other good suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #79
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604_e90325i View Post
i bring in my car to the dealer and try to get the roof top replace... and you know what they told me... "that's normal wear of the roof" I try pretty much everything, and they just keep telling me is not thier fault, is BMW canada say no to the warranty... and this is from BJ bmw vancouver, b.c. and i have been dealing with this company for 10 yrs... any other good suggestion?
Go to a different dealer or call BMW NA. By now this should be a known problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #80
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604_e90325i View Post
Are you driving a new 1 cab? If so, it's only been out for 18 months so there is no way it's normal wear. Keep pushing it with your SA or ask to have a face to face meeting with BJ's Director of Customer Relations, Jim Krahn.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #81
heybuddyjb
Rep
Drives:

this totally happened to me. it wore all the way through and the dealer replaced the whole top!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #82
neo97
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Vert

Convertible Roof Tear TSB

FYI, there is now a tsb for the convertible roof tear that many people are experiencing. I dont know the number, but it describes the small rubs/holes that can occur on either side, and it says to replace the convertible roof and add a spacer to correct the problem. Noone should have a problem getting this corrected now.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #83
jmcgraw013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Cv

Well, I finally got around to getting my car in for service this week and the dealer is going to replace my top under warranty due to the hole(s) I have as previously mentioned on this thread last May (above). They are going to replace it per SIB 54 14 09, defect code 54 31 02 69 00. "Improper spacing of soft top cover. Wear marks found on soft top cover being caused by soft top frame and spacing."

The SA says that it will be an OEM top they have to get from the BMW parts depot in Ohio or was it PA. Anyhow, it should be in next week and installed the following week. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the new one fits properly.

'11 135i Cabriolet
Crimson Red, CPO, Savanna Beige Lthr, High Gloss, Shadowline
DCT, Prem Pkg, Sp Pkg, Value Pkg, Sirius, Alarm, CA, 264's
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #84
singular
Captain
Rep

Had mine replaced last September as mentioned already.

Down side was that the SA recommended I not take the top down for about two weeks. He said that if I don't wait, the top might get saggy.

It was a tough two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #85
jmcgraw013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Dropped on my car today for the top replacement, SA told me it may take a few days to complete. For those of you who've had your top replaced, how long did it actually take to get your car back? I'm in a loaner, so no big deal; but I'm curious...

Thanks,
Jason

'11 135i Cabriolet

Last edited by jmcgraw013; 03-11-2010 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #86
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgraw013 View Post
Dropped on my car today for the top replacement, SA told me it may take a few days to complete. For those of you who've had your top replaced, how long did it actually take to get your car back? I'm in a loaner, so no big deal; but I'm curious...

Thanks,
Jason
They kept mine for a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #87
jmcgraw013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Got my 1er back today and the new top looks fabulous! Tight and well fitted and best of all - no wrinkles! (We'll see how long that lasts)... BMW of Fairfax did a great job. I'm extremely pleased with the quality of their SAs and service.

What was even better was getting back into my 1er after five days in a loaner 328i wagon. Night and day difference! - Unfortunately, the loaner was pretty beat up -the headlights didn't work properly ( one of the headlights shone down to the ground and the other was pointed off to the side) and it had one bad tire I had to refill twice. But it did have a cool panoramic sunroof and a build-in retracable pet barrier in the back. My wife says I should get the wagon next time (more practical for the kids and dog) and forget the 'vert - I said, no way! If she keeps mocking my car like that I'll trade my wife in! (well I thought that anyway!)

Springtime, here I come!

'11 135i Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #88
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Watch the top go up and down and make sure no part of the top rubs against the rubber gasket that is underneath the tonneau cover. Mine started to do that after they replaced my top. It slowly wears away at both the rubber gasket and the top.
Appreciate 0