BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #23
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I believe oil capacity for the 128i is 7 quarts, and I suspect the 135i would be similar. The computer countdown must be reset manually, so your oil change will not affect the timing for your next (free) service.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
this has been passed along on a few other BMW forums, I think a lot of people here would benefit from this information. In the days before BMW included "free" maintenance with the purchase of their cars, their maintenance intervals were about double the frequency of their current schedule.
This is interesting, but really has nothing to do with the modern models.

BMW started these maintenance intervals, I think, in 1999, may have been sooner. The new E46 came out then. This has been at least 10yrs ago, and since then BMW cars rate as some of the best for used car value.
If the new maintenance were really detrimental to the cars, we would have seen a steady decline in BMW's lasting longer than the warranties. But, since it's been at least 10yrs, those who had worries need to stop.
The facts speak for themselves.

Most car manufacturers have gone to longer and longer maintenance intervals. Why? Because modern car construction and modern materials are vastly superior to cars being built 20yrs ago.
When BMW switched to longer oil drain intervals they also switched to synthetic oil, and over the years synthetic has proven it's longer drain capabilities over and over.

So, I don't think there is anything "interesting" in that when
BMW switched to free maintenance that the service intervals also changed. It stands to reason that BMW made a conscious engineering and marketing decision because they may actually know what they are talking about.

Materials used and fluids used in BMW's are top of line, high tech products that have proven their longer life.
Audi and MB used to have free maintenance as well, but dropped the programs to keep sales prices lower. BMW decided to keep their program.
For the 2007 model year Audi dropped free maintenance. The service intervals stayed the same. Now, if you want free maintenance in your new Audi and MB, you can have it for an extra charge. For Audi it's something like $700. The point is, whether you get the included maintenance or not, the intervals are the same. It's not like the intervals are sooner if you get the included service vs not getting it.

The M3 is a "special" car, and it has it's own special maintenance needs. It's not a bread and butter car for BMW.
When Mitsubishi brought the EVO to the states, it too had specialized maintenance needs very unlike their other cars. The intervals where much much sooner.

I think that article is based on old tech knowledge, more intensive service for special models, along with suspicion of manufacturers. If you are that suspicious of BMW, then don't buy one.
It's really that simple.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjovic View Post
I am leasing BMW's car and if they want me to change the oil on THEIR car every 15,000 miles then that's what I'll do. If it were MY car, I would do every 5,000.
Without a few oil analysis to verify your early oil change, you are wasting money, time, an resources. It's pointless to throw away still viable oil.

How many people who change their synthetic oil will really drive their BMW's for longer than 10yrs? Very very few, and even then where's the evidence that changing out still good oil sooner and sooner will result in the engine lasting longer?

When's the last time you heard someone you know say their engine died because they followed the manufacturers maintenance intervals?
I've been into cars for nearly 30yrs, and I've yet to hear of it.
What I do hear and experience very often is people who don't even do the required services at the required time, and I am SHOCKED at how long their cars still survive and work. That's even more amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #26
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

This is your car, you can do whatever you want, but most people (like me) believe oil change between 5-6 k miles is highly desirable and for the peace of mind. The problem with long oil change interval is the oil filter will be saturated with all the dirt and debris and they may flow back into the engine. The way you maintain your car may hurt the re-sale value, but it is your car.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #27
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
This is interesting, but really has nothing to do with the modern models.

BMW started these maintenance intervals, I think, in 1999, may have been sooner. The new E46 came out then. This has been at least 10yrs ago, and since then BMW cars rate as some of the best for used car value.
When BMW switched to longer oil drain intervals they also switched to synthetic oil, and over the years synthetic has proven it's longer drain capabilities over and over.
That's correct, the move from (approx.) 7,500 to 15,000 mile oil changes coincided with the switch to OEM sythetic oil with the '99 E46 models.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #28
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

cost on the break-in service?
      06-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #29
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
cost on the break-in service?
There is no scheduled break-in service. If you have a dealer do an early oil/filter change, it will cost about $100. If you do it yourself, you can get the parts for around $55.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #30
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

^ That's assuming you only want the oil changed. If you want the differential fluid changed, it'll be more. (Same with manual gearbox fluid.)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #31
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
And you, Sir, would be very wrong!

Do you think that material technologies and lubricants have changed that much in the last ten years? I assure you that they have not!

I think most people skip over the spot-on conclusion of this article.

"It has to be recognized that the benefits of good drive-train lubricant maintenance do not accrue until the car matures. The difference between the car that ran 15,000-mile oil change intervals and never had it's gearbox or differential oil changed (as per BMW instructions) and the one that ran high-end synthetic lubricants and had it's drive-line maintained in contravention of BMW's instructions, is the strong likelihood that the second car will be running strong at 200,000 miles whereas the first car will likely have a worn out drive-train. BMWs, and most modern cars, will run 100,000 miles just fine with zero maintenance."
You're entitled to your opinion of my comments, even though your opinion is quite wrong.

There are many many BMW's still running strong, even since the introduction of the longer maintenance intervals. Back when it was announced, people such as the writer of that piece, raised warnings that BMW's would see increasing failures as miles built up.
That didn't happen. BMW retains a great reputation of building great engines. If they were prone to failure, due to BMW's maintenance, we'd have heard about it by now, especially after over a decade of that maintenance plan.

Yes, manufacturing and lubricants, and much about automobile technology has changed in the past 10yrs. I assure you they have!

The quote you use as some insight, if full of educated guess and potential of probables.
But, some of it is out of date, like this:
The difference between the car that ran 15,000-mile oil change intervals and never had it's gearbox or differential oil changed (as per BMW instructions) and the one that ran high-end synthetic lubricants and had it's drive-line maintained in contravention of BMW's instructions,...

Since at least 1999 BMW went to longer intervals when they went to full synthetic engine oil.
So, I don't know what the article is getting at.
It's as if the writer thinks BMW went to 15k oil drain intervals while still using conventional oil. They didn't.

Sounds as if the article is discussing pre synthetic BMW's, thus not modern BMWs.

And then there is this tidbit:
BMWs, and most modern cars, will run 100,000 miles just fine with zero maintenance.

Really? So, any car will run "just fine" if one does "zero" maintenance for 100k miles?
I do not agree. Try not changing your engine oil and air filter for 100k miles, and let's see how long, or how well, it will run.
But, use your car for that test. I'll refrain from trying it on mine.
BMW nor any other car maker recommend a zero maintenance interval.You can agree and side with an article that states a zero maintenance plan will allow your car to run just fine for 100k miles.
I'll continue to question why anyone would even say that.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #32
BlueforMonaco
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 msport

I notice there have not been any posts on this thread lately, relating to the irresponsibility and environmental impact of a car that's put out to pasture sooner than would be necessary, because of a maintenance schedule that was developed for the benefit of greedy, rich people and nothing else!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90

Sounds as if the article is discussing pre synthetic BMW's, thus not modern BMWs.

And then there is this tidbit:
BMWs, and most modern cars, will run 100,000 miles just fine with zero maintenance.

Really? So, any car will run "just fine" if one does "zero" maintenance for 100k miles?
I do not agree. Try not changing your engine oil and air filter for 100k miles, and let's see how long, or how well, it will run.
But, use your car for that test. I'll refrain from trying it on mine.
BMW nor any other car maker recommend a zero maintenance interval.You can agree and side with an article that states a zero maintenance plan will allow your car to run just fine for 100k miles.
I'll continue to question why anyone would even say that.

Well, having been a licenced tech for 15 years (Honda/Acura), I have seen quite the variety in maintenance on vehicles.

I have actually seen several cases where owners truly followed the "zero" maintenance schedule. That included oil changes. Most of them honestly did not realize that they had to do oil changes if you can believe it.

Well, surprisingly, all of these no oil change cars lasted between 60 and 70,000 km before the engine seized. I was actually quite surprised they lasted that long. And these were cars that called for oil changes at either 6000 or 8000 km.

Bet they would have lasted 100,000 km if they had done even one oil change.

But I still change the oil in my own cars every 5000 km, and use a Group V synthetic by Motul.

Just keeping the topic lively.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #34
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Latest info... For 2014, BMW (and MINI) have reduced the interval from 15K to 10K: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868291

And it's still synthetic and it's still covered under free maintenance. I'm curious what prompted this change, especially since you can have the same N55 engine in both older and newer models.

Also, after high warranty claims, GM realized they needed to recalibrate their oil monitoring system for more frequent changes on their 4-cylinder engines: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...NEWS/130409904
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #35
1seriesis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 '13 135i

I have gone about 600+ miles over the post break in. I know I read earlier of this post owners talk about the 1200 post break in oil change. Is that required for "is"? After consulting with my CA, he said it is not required for this vehicle. What's your take on this those of you who have done at least the oil/filter for the post break in? Is there any harm for not doing it? Also, what have you guys paid for just the filter? I was quoted $250 for just the oil and filter. Any advice is much appreciated.
      11-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #36
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1seriesis View Post
I have gone about 600+ miles over the post break in...
BMW says it is not required but most of us know better.

It really can not hurt. IF you plan on keeping your car... I would go ahead and have it done. You might also consider to change your diff fluid and manual trans fluid too.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #37
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
I have gone about 600+ miles over the post break in. I know I read earlier of this post owners talk about the 1200 post break in oil change. Is that required for "is"? After consulting with my CA, he said it is not required for this vehicle. What's your take on this those of you who have done at least the oil/filter for the post break in? Is there any harm for not doing it? Also, what have you guys paid for just the filter? I was quoted $250 for just the oil and filter. Any advice is much appreciated.
$250 is RIDICULOUS. Most of us are paying about $70-90 for a post break-in oil change at the dealer. I'd suggest going to a different dealer or just check the dealer's website for service specials/coupons. Usually they will have for $69.95 or $79.95, though a few are $89.95 or $99.95. They also won't usually have a 1-series listed, but it's all the same as a 3-series, so that's the coupon most of us use. That is all for just your basic oil and filter change, not tranny or diff.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #38
1seriesis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 '13 135i

Thanks, Greg. I forwarded this link to my adviser showing your post as an evidence that there is such service called "post break-in" even for the "is" and was able to issue me a coupon for $80. I really appreciate it.
      11-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #39
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You know guys... I change the oil in my lawn mover(every year, plus I use a syntheic!) and I don't love that "machine" like I do my 1er.

Oil changes are cheap-er than engines. Its best to use a quality oil and filter and change it often. I think most of "us" know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I believe oil capacity for the 128i is 7 quarts, and I suspect the 135i would be similar. The computer countdown must be reset manually, so your oil change will not affect the timing for your next (free) service.

Tom
6.9 quarts or 6.5 liters when changing the oil filter - both for the 128i and 135i models.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #40
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Thanks, Greg. I forwarded this link to my adviser showing your post as an evidence that there is such service called "post break-in" even for the "is" and was able to issue me a coupon for $80. I really appreciate it.
Glad to hear suddenly it was $80 as opposed to that crazy $250. There really isn't anything special or unique about a "post break-in" oil change other than the timing though, and isn't specific to the IS. A lot of people just believe it is extremely beneficial to change the oil early on to get out any loose metal shavings and other particulates from a new engine that could potentially harm it. So, it's just your typical oil change, only done early and BMW won't pay for it, which stinks. They do cover it and recommend it on M cars though. Is it overkill? Perhaps, but if you plan to keep the car for awhile, it is recommended, surely can't hurt, and for $80, it's good peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #41
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

Go to the Maintenance section. There are several threads on this topic. In fact, I have a poll thread going.

Also, google Mike Miller on the web and read his recommended service intervals for BMW's. It is a good read and I would follow what he recommends for the most part if you plan on keeping your car a long time.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #42
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Cool Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You know guys... I change the oil in my lawn mover(every year, plus I use a syntheic!) and I don't love that "machine" like I do my 1er.

Oil changes are cheap-er than engines. Its best to use a quality oil and filter and change it often. I think most of "us" know this.

6.9 quarts or 6.5 liters when changing the oil filter - both for the 128i and 135i models.
Well the last time I changed the oil in my lawn mower was five years ago, and it is still running fine.

In general, the comments about service intervals really have no basis in facts and are no more than opinions. The best an owner can do is follow the schedules laid down by the mfg.

One might also consider that some of the expensive repairs will have nothing to do with maintenance like VANOS bolts, water pumps, and numerous other items.

Most Americans seem anal about changing engine oil, and it is well documented that spark plugs do last 60K miles. Regarding brake fluid, there are test kits that check it for moisture. Mine always check OK. Changing the differential oil is cheap and probably be done every 50K miles. I remember Redline recommending that number. Modern engine coolants are good for over a 100K long past the ownership of the car.

The only real question is an interval to change the oil in an automatic, the most common transmission in a BMW and most other cars. I have a DCT which is basically a box of gears run by a computer. It may not be a big deal to do an oil change? However, replacing the clutches may require a mortgage on the house!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #43
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep
Drives: Bmw 125i Black Sapphire

I read this thread and I'm still confused on the manual transmission and differential oil. Does this mean that when I hit 30k miles on the car I have to change the fluids or this applies for older generations bmw only?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 09:29 PM   #44
bimmerworkshoptexas
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Mercedes Benz

Bimmer Workshop is a well-known BMW & Mercedes Service Center in Houston. Our Master Technicians know your luxury BMW & Mercedes Benz car from inside and out. Make an appointment today.
Appreciate 0