BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Help me with some pricing please...

I made a thread about a month ago (in e90 post) that I was going to lease a car soon and "soon" is right around the corner for me (before September, I must have a car). I wanted a 335is but the more I checked out 1er's, the more I fell in love with them . I actually prefer it now over an e92 or an f30/32.

I went to my dealer and checked out a 135is convertible with everything except HK audio. The car costs 56k and they offered me a 10k mi./yr. lease @ $440/mo. + taxes which sounds decent to me.

I can't deny that the coupe version looks much better IMO. On top of that, cleaning/maintaining that soft top will be a pain in the butt (trees in my neighborhood drips LOTS of sap and the places I go to are very sunny). With that said, I'd definitely prefer a coupe but the dealer I went to didn't have one. So, I contacted a second dealer to inquire about a 135is coupe (~51,700 MSRP). They quoted me 10k mi./yr. @ $500/mo. + taxes. (Do note that I am inquiring about this car via email and things might be different if I show up in person.)

My dilemma is that I prefer the coupe (for both looks and practicality) but I couldn't justify the extra $100/mo. Even worse, I have no haggling experience and I'm the type of a person who just lays his cards on the table to end things swiftly. I have also asked my first dealer if it's possible to swap cars with my second dealer but they haven't replied yet and it's been almost 3 days.

Should I just pull the trigger on the vert (meaning that this deal is hard for other dealers to top/match)? Should I just email/contact/show up in person @ the second dealer and tell them straight up that a dealer is giving me a much better deal on the more expensive vert than them with their 5k cheaper car and ask then if they're willing to price match (possibly give me a better deal)? Or, do you guys have any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328pride View Post
I made a thread about a month ago (in e90 post) that I was going to lease a car soon and "soon" is right around the corner for me (before September, I must have a car). I wanted a 335is but the more I checked out 1er's, the more I fell in love with them . I actually prefer it now over an e92 or an f30/32.

I went to my dealer and checked out a 135is convertible with everything except HK audio. The car costs 56k and they offered me a 10k mi./yr. lease @ $440/mo. + taxes which sounds decent to me.

I can't deny that the coupe version looks much better IMO. On top of that, cleaning/maintaining that soft top will be a pain in the butt (trees in my neighborhood drips LOTS of sap and the places I go to are very sunny). With that said, I'd definitely prefer a coupe but the dealer I went to didn't have one. So, I contacted a second dealer to inquire about a 135is coupe (~51,700 MSRP). They quoted me 10k mi./yr. @ $500/mo. + taxes. (Do note that I am inquiring about this car via email and things might be different if I show up in person.)

My dilemma is that I prefer the coupe (for both looks and practicality) but I couldn't justify the extra $100/mo. Even worse, I have no haggling experience and I'm the type of a person who just lays his cards on the table to end things swiftly. I have also asked my first dealer if it's possible to swap cars with my second dealer but they haven't replied yet and it's been almost 3 days.

Should I just pull the trigger on the vert (meaning that this deal is hard for other dealers to top/match)? Should I just email/contact/show up in person @ the second dealer and tell them straight up that a dealer is giving me a much better deal on the more expensive vert than them with their 5k cheaper car and ask then if they're willing to price match (possibly give me a better deal)? Or, do you guys have any other suggestions?
well Coupe vs. Convertible really is your decision. I personally am a Coupe type of person and could never really see myself in a Convertible----but then there are others who have to have a Convertible it seems!

it's probable that the Convertible carries a better residual value after 2 or 3 years, which is why the lease payments may be a bit lower....OR it's possible that the 2nd dealer is screwing with your money factor.

Ask the 1st dealer to price out a lease for you on a coupe, and see what they come up with....then go from there.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Which dealers are you working with? If you're in LA, there are quite a few IS coupes I just found the other day as one dealer seems to have about 5-6 coupes (lemans, 2-3 mineral greys, and a jet black).

I would tell you there's no logical reason why the coupe should cost you MORE than the vert, which is a much more expensive car. And if you actually are considering buying the car, you'll end up really paying for it perhaps on the back end. Not all the lease details were disclosed so hard to tell. I think you should check out a few more dealers to see who has the car you actually want before "settling" on a convertible. Someone should be able to aggressively price it to at LEAST the same price considering it costs less.

Hard part right now is finding the right car. So, let us know what specs/colors you're looking at cause I know where a few IS cars are in the general area here.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
well Coupe vs. Convertible really is your decision. I personally am a Coupe type of person and could never really see myself in a Convertible----but then there are others who have to have a Convertible it seems!

it's probable that the Convertible carries a better residual value after 2 or 3 years, which is why the lease payments may be a bit lower....OR it's possible that the 2nd dealer is screwing with your money factor.

Ask the 1st dealer to price out a lease for you on a coupe, and see what they come up with....then go from there.
I'm more of a coupe type of a person too (well, it depends). I was expecting something closer or even less if I were to get a coupe. Anyway, thanks for your reply and I'll try that later.

If I were to get a convertible, I'll have the luxury to put the top down and listen to that exhaust .
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
I'm more of a coupe type of a person too (well, it depends). I was expecting something closer or even less if I were to get a coupe. Anyway, thanks for your reply and I'll try that later.

If I were to get a convertible, I'll have the luxury to put the top down and listen to that exhaust .
I really don't like the look of the soft top 1er. The coupe look seems a little cleaner to me but I can definitely see the appeal in them if you live in California. Hearing the exhaust and engine better is a nice perk, expecially with that perf exhaust. Also, being in a vert makes me feel more connected to the road somehow.

Anyway, definitely look around for deals. I'm definitely not the best negotiator but my strategy is generally just be honest with the people I'm dealing with and surprisingly, I find that works most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Which dealers are you working with? If you're in LA, there are quite a few IS coupes I just found the other day as one dealer seems to have about 5-6 coupes (lemans, 2-3 mineral greys, and a jet black).

I would tell you there's no logical reason why the coupe should cost you MORE than the vert, which is a much more expensive car. And if you actually are considering buying the car, you'll end up really paying for it perhaps on the back end. Not all the lease details were disclosed so hard to tell. I think you should check out a few more dealers to see who has the car you actually want before "settling" on a convertible. Someone should be able to aggressively price it to at LEAST the same price considering it costs less.

Hard part right now is finding the right car. So, let us know what specs/colors you're looking at cause I know where a few IS cars are in the general area here.
I also find it odd that I have to shell out more with the coupe

I believe you're talking about the dealer in Santa Ana. I inquired about the Le Mans Blue 135is coupe there (via email). The Carbon Black convertible I was offered is at Pacific BMW.

Here's what I'm looking for:
Body Style: Coupe, I'll take the convertible would save me $100/mo.
Exterior: Le Mans Blue, Carbon Black, or Deep Sea Blue
Interior: Black interior w/ blue stitch...Plain old black leather is perfectly fine Transmission: DCT
Others: Navigation

I've looked around several dealers online (150mi. radius from my ZIP code) and I've only found 10 135is (coupe and convertible combined). I'm not willing to travel much farther than that.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
I really don't like the look of the soft top 1er. The coupe look seems a little cleaner to me but I can definitely see the appeal in them if you live in California. Hearing the exhaust and engine better is a nice perk, expecially with that perf exhaust. Also, being in a vert makes me feel more connected to the road somehow.

Anyway, definitely look around for deals. I'm definitely not the best negotiator but my strategy is generally just be honest with the people I'm dealing with and surprisingly, I find that works most of the time.
Driving with the top down here in SoCal sounds nice only in the weekends in some mountain or by the beach. The car sounds VERY NICE. I'd be nice to be honest but I'm feeling the 2nd dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me and try to take advantage of my inexperience.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I got mine at Pacific and they got that 135is convertible when mine arrived, so I know that car well and they're pricing is amazing.

Ya, I was talking about Crevier that seemed to have tons of IS coupes for some reason.

I actually saw a used carbon black IS I think at New Century (or Century West) with 2-3,000 miles on it, don't know if that does anything for you. I think they list it as a normal 135 mistakenly. Here you go:

http://www.newcenturybmw.com/vehicle...UC9C50DVM13823
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Also, you should see if Pacific is still able to order one if there are any spots left (and you're willing to potentially wait 3 months) or send their quote to the second dealer and ask them to match it. Or at least call them on their BS and say "I can get a convertible for much less" so to get it from you, you'll have to come way down or I'll just take the more expensive convertible for less money.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I got mine at Pacific and they got that 135is convertible when mine arrived, so I know that car well and they're pricing is amazing.

Ya, I was talking about Crevier that seemed to have tons of IS coupes for some reason.

I actually saw a used carbon black IS I think at New Century (or Century West) with 2-3,000 miles on it, don't know if that does anything for you. I think they list it as a normal 135 mistakenly. Here you go:

http://www.newcenturybmw.com/vehicle...UC9C50DVM13823
I checked that car out too. That one looks pretty nice and I think that's got some room for haggling if one intends to buy it. Unfortunately, they don't have it up for lease. It makes me wonder why the previous owner returned it with just 3k miles.

At this point, I don't intend on buying my next car. I'm waiting to see how much nicer the M235i is going to be. If it's only marginal, then I'll keep my soon-to-be 1er.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I checked that car out too. That one looks pretty nice and I think that's got some room for haggling if one intends to buy it. Unfortunately, they don't have it up for lease. It makes me wonder why the previous owner returned it with just 3k miles.

At this point, I don't intend on buying my next car. I'm waiting to see how much nicer the M235i is going to be. If it's only marginal, then I'll keep my soon-to-be 1er.
You mean they won't lease that used one? Why not? Should be able to. I think they've had it used sitting there for 3-4 months at least.

But as you saw, the amount Pacific is likely to take off a NEW one the price may not be that different. Best of luck and hopefully you can snag one of these soon and join our exclusive club.

I'll probably keep mine for awhile and don't have much interest in the M235, but am interested to see what the M2 looks like for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

i originally had thought about waiting for the M235i, but i looked at the spy shots and HATED the styling....looked like a mini-3-series crossed with a Civic......i could never buy a car that looked like that! the 1-series, however, to me is a throwback to 'old school' coupes and design wise is a VERY unique design.....so i had to pull the trigger!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also, you should see if Pacific is still able to order one if there are any spots left (and you're willing to potentially wait 3 months) or send their quote to the second dealer and ask them to match it. Or at least call them on their BS and say "I can get a convertible for much less" so to get it from you, you'll have to come way down or I'll just take the more expensive convertible for less money.
Unfortunately, I'm only borrowing a car from my family this summer and I'll be without a car on the 20th of August. With that said, I can't wait for a delivery (if I could, I'll get the elusive Cashmere Silver).

I'll try calling them and force them to price match or even beat Pacific's price. I'm just trying to figure out now how to do it without being a prick.

The one pre-owned Carbon Black one at New Century isn't up for lease. I thought it would be but for some reason it isn't. Well, that's one less option for me. If my situation gets worse, I'll have to go to them and try and snag that car.

I can't wait to join your group and hopefully attend a meet at some point down the road. Thanks, you've been very helpful to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i originally had thought about waiting for the M235i, but i looked at the spy shots and HATED the styling....looked like a mini-3-series crossed with a Civic......i could never buy a car that looked like that! the 1-series, however, to me is a throwback to 'old school' coupes and design wise is a VERY unique design.....so i had to pull the trigger!
The new 2er isn't that bad. In fact, I LOATHED the 1er! Look at me now, I prefer it over an e92! I'm in love with it (given it has nice wheels)! I'm honestly expecting BMW to get things right for the 2er right off the bat. If not, my potential 1er and I will stay for a loooooooong time.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
The new 2er isn't that bad. In fact, I LOATHED the 1er! Look at me now, I prefer it over an e92! I'm in love with it (given it has nice wheels)! I'm honestly expecting BMW to get things right for the 2er right off the bat. If not, my potential 1er and I will stay for a loooooooong time.
i loved the 1er since i first saw it....every 2 years i ALMOST buy one...lol. But this time i took the plunge as i knew it was going away and it was my last chance to buy a new one.

i saw this pic of the 2-series and it turned me off completely! It's too rounded and bubbly looking. I love the straight lines and the 'art' of the E82.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
I wouldn't get a convertible without the upgraded audio. I made that mistake once - never again.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm only borrowing a car from my family this summer and I'll be without a car on the 20th of August. With that said, I can't wait for a delivery (if I could, I'll get the elusive Cashmere Silver).

I'll try calling them and force them to price match or even beat Pacific's price. I'm just trying to figure out now how to do it without being a prick.

The one pre-owned Carbon Black one at New Century isn't up for lease. I thought it would be but for some reason it isn't. Well, that's one less option for me. If my situation gets worse, I'll have to go to them and try and snag that car.

I can't wait to join your group and hopefully attend a meet at some point down the road. Thanks, you've been very helpful to me.
I'd tell you to see if Pacific can either do a dealer swap for that one you want that the other dealer has horrible pricing for, or if they can find another one somewhere they might be able to get for you. They went above and beyond to get my car.

I'd also just send the quote to the other dealer and you're not being a prick about it, you just say, which is being honest, "here is the other 135is I am considering and the pricing offered to me, which is much lower than your quote, and on a more expensive car." So you just tell them that at the current price they gave you, it doesn't make much sense to buy from them and is more than you want to spend and more than you have to pay based on comparable cars at other dealers. So, if that's the price, you're likely to go with the other dealer.

Or just give them your bottom line - "That price is too high for me, but if you would go down to ________/mo," blah blah blah, I'd take the car today.

Last edited by gregthegr8; 08-02-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

$440 a month for a pretty loaded 'vert w/ 10k miles a year is a VERY good price... IF it is $0 down. You need to make sure you have all the facts. They could be trying to sell you just on monthly payment while "forgetting" to tell you that you have to put $3K down up front. Get ALL the facts first: monthly amount, residual rate, money factor (lease rate) and acquisition fee and any other fees before concluding this is a great deal. It may actually be, but you need ALL of the information first. If you post it here, we can help you assess.

I can vouch for the 'vert being a blast and the exhaust is incredible with the top down! I was originally looking for coupe but went with 'vert for a change and am really enjoying it. A lot fewer of them on the road too.

Good luck!

Last edited by Kouper; 08-02-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i loved the 1er since i first saw it....every 2 years i ALMOST buy one...lol. But this time i took the plunge as i knew it was going away and it was my last chance to buy a new one.

i saw this pic of the 2-series and it turned me off completely! It's too rounded and bubbly looking. I love the straight lines and the 'art' of the E82.

That pic isn't THAT bad but I'm hoping for a little bit more. I wouldn't say it's better than the e82 nor it is worse than the e82. Well, to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
I wouldn't get a convertible without the upgraded audio. I made that mistake once - never again.
Is the standard audio really that terrible? I'm not sure if I'll appreciate the upgraded audio that much because I'm no audiophile and the car has its own soundtrack. I'm not against the idea of having it though because I've never had a car with upgraded audio before.

Quote:
I'd tell you to see if Pacific can either do a dealer swap for that one you want that the other dealer has horrible pricing for, or if they can find another one somewhere they might be able to get for you. They went above and beyond to get my car.

I'd also just send the quote to the other dealer and you're not being a prick about it, you just say, which is being honest, "here is the other 135is I am considering and the pricing offered to me, which is much lower than your quote, and on a more expensive car." So you just tell them that at the current price they gave you, it doesn't make much sense to buy from them and is more than you want to spend and more than you have to pay based on comparable cars at other dealers. So, if that's the price, you're likely to go with the other dealer.

Or just give them your bottom line - "That price is too high for me, but if you would go down to ________/mo," blah blah blah, I'd take the car today.
Right now, I can't be bothered to go to both dealers in person. I'm shooting both dealers an email now and give them a call if I hear a favorable response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
$440 a month for a pretty loaded 'vert w/ 10k miles a year is a VERY good price... IF it is $0 down. You need to make sure you have all the facts. They could be trying to sell you just on monthly payment while "forgetting" to tell you that you have to put $3K down up front. Get ALL the facts first: monthly amount, residual factor, lease rate and acquisition fee and any other fees before concluding this is a great deal. It may actually be, but you need ALL of the information first. If you post it here, we can help you assess.

I can vouch for the 'vert being a blast and the exhaust is incredible with the top down! I was originally looking for coupe but went with 'vert for a change and am really enjoying it. A lot fewer of them on the road too.

Good luck!
I can dump as much as 5k due at signing (includes "down payment", 1st month's payment, and other fees). Pacific is asking for around $3500 while the second dealer is asking for $4k. As stated above, the monthly payments are ~$440 before taxes for the convertible and $500 for the coupe. I'm not sure on how much each of the cars will be if I were to buy them after the lease (residual value). I'll try to look into this matter ASAP.

-----------------------

I'll try to keep you guys posted if you're interested. Thanks for all your help. I can't wait to be a part of the 1er club (despite my username).
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I wouldn't waste your time going in either at this point. You can do it all via e-mail/calls. I never went in or met the guy (Ray Ibarra @ Pacific) until the day I picked up the car. Can do all the credit apps via e-mail and what have you.

I can't help you on convertible vs coupe, i'm a die hard coupe person as the convertible would mess up my pretty hair and that's priority 1. ha! I wouldn't put that much down though especially with no intent to buy.

You also have to be clear/careful on what amount is for drive-off (taxes, title, license, first month's payment, etc.) and what amount is above and beyond that and real down payment (cap reduction to use their fancy terms). My lease was 0 down, but total driveoffs were like 1600 or 1800, and my coupe's payment is then a hair under $500 before taxes.

You'll get it figured out and hope you at least got to drive a 135is and hopefully drove a coupe and convertible before you make the decision. The carbon black convertible was quite pretty and I sat it in for awhile on the showroom floor when they were getting my car ready for me. So, hopefully if you get that one I can say I sat in your car before you did. hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
Mein_Auto_ist_1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
With that said, I'd definitely prefer a coupe but the dealer I went to didn't have one.

You can still order the 135is from the factory, get one that's in stock somewhere in the us or get one that is in Transit.

I completely agree with the others regarding the lease price you got quoted. For that low of a price it would have to include a substantial deposit in addition to tax and tags.

I leased mine (carbon blk, blk boston lthr, Prem, Tech, HK, heated seats, PDC) using the july programs cause I locked them in at 10:26pm on 7/31/2013 - here is deal I did today...for better or worse.

MSRP 51680
Sales Price 48071
63% Residual
.000167 MF
Virginia Tax 4.17%
Deposit 4234 (bought down the lease payment)
monthly 499

had $2000 in Incentives

-$500 Loyalty
-$500 Turn Key
-$1000 - Drive the competition event

And I also got the 3 month pull ahead ending my current lease early and negating my last three lease payments.

Since I have been a CCA member for over a yr I qualify for the member reward program (a $500 rebate) this lowers my outlay to $3734.

Got one that was in transit because I didn't want to wait. Vehicles in Transit can be plucked by your dealer, you have to be flexible there were approx 11 135is coupes in the US and 4 in transit (well three now...hee hee hee)

Good Luck...BTW not sure if BMW does this nationwide but the august lease residual is 53% - down from 63% in July. Bad for anyone looking to lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #22
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Wow, 53%?!?! With 10k miles/year? It's been at 63% since at least February! Looks like the money factor has gone up, too. Granted, it's expected as the year progresses, but that might be explain the dramatic differences in the two lease prices he's seeing if one dealer was using July numbers and the other using new August numbers.
Appreciate 0