BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

KW Coilover V1 install and review

My KW suspension was installed today by Mach V Motorsports in Srerling, VA. They did the height adjustment, and alignment as well. Pics taken in the shop to follow as I update this thread.

Just drove a few miles, and I can already say wow! The suspension is quiet, composed and not too stiff. Take a hard corner, and the car just grips and goes, no fuss. Heading home later tonight on some twisty roads and GW Parkway, so I will have an even better idea of how everything works. The ride height was lowered a little, and the car looks fantastic. Have some pics for that too. In all, the car is now where it should have been from the factory!

1st Update: So, cruising down GW Parkway last night, which is mostly downhill with some sweeping corners. Of course the requisite hodoyotas and SUVs were in the way a bit, but still managed to get a few turns in. The suspension absorbs the bumps nicely yet remains quite composed. I need to get to a more twisty road still without folks in the way. But so far, so good. Height looks very nice. Will take some more photos and get everything posted soon. For DC area folks, Mach V Motorsports is a great option for installation. They have a nice shop, and are well qualified to get everything installed. The owner mentioned he is buying a 335i, and will be assembling the systems and tech needed to be able to tune BMWs. He already does the Subaru, and produces some of the fastest WRX cars around. www.machv.com.
--------
Mach V Motorsports in Sterling

Box 'o KW stuff! Shiny!

Stock front shock and spring

KW Coilover and new spring

Alignment!

Front view with everything installed

Rear view with lightly lowered ride height and BMW Performance Exhaust

Rear suspension drop. Not too low.

Front suspension drop

The full effect

BP Exhaust Detail

Last edited by MikeinAlexandria; 11-22-2010 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: added pictures
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Emme Tres

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
64 views and not one response. Everybody must be thinking the same thing as me, pics or it didn't happen.
      11-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

"The suspension is quiet, composed and not too stiff", but it is still stiffer or firmer than stock suspension, right? I like it to be stiffer than stock.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

what's the difference between the V1, V2 and V3?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

LOL. Pics are here now!

Yeah, it is stiffer than stock, and the dampening is alot more controlled. The car rides the way it should stock from the factory, which makes me believe that BMW is trying to make the 1 series a clear lower performing car from a 3 series. Sad because they could probably sell alot more 1s to Audi A3 owners and MINI Clubman people.

Here is some info from KW's website.

KW Variant 1
The ideal entry level coilover for customers who wish to determine the height settings of the car while using KWs optimum pre-set damper settings.
•Optimally adjusted, sporty and comfortable damping technology
•adjustment parameters approved by the Technical Control Board (TÜV)

KW Variant 2
The system intended for the experienced driver who requires to not only determine the individual lowering of their vehicle, but to adjust the damper setting to fine tune the system to their needs.
•Damping technology individually adjustable in the traction phase
•Individually height-adjustable
•Infinitely adjustable rebound damping

KW Variant 3
State-of-the-art technology from motor sports for more performance on the road. The separate and independently adjustable rebound- and compression damping allows individual suspension adjustments. The unique patented system with its individual two-stage valves allows a rebound damping- (comfort) and a compression damping adjustment (driving dynamics) in the low-speed range while the high-speed range which is responsible for driving safety is fixed.
•damping technology individually adjustable in rebound- and compression damping
•infinitely adjustable rebound damping
•14-level adjustable compression damping
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

I've had the pleasure of owning KW V3s in the past and I could wax endlessly about them. They truly were amazing how they were so much stiffer than most factory sport suspensions and yet they were also more compliant than most. Honestly, they proved to me that you can have your cake and it eat it too...you just have to pony up the dough!! Now, I have no personal experience with the V1s or V2s, but I can't imagine that they're much different in terms of the handling/comfort compromise. I wish there was someone semi-local that has a KW setup installed so I could get a ride!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Emme Tres

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
looks very nice. sounds like you are impressed with the improvement in performance and stance.

just my opinion, but some 18" wheels would really set your car off (oem or aftermarket).
      11-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post

KW Coilover and new spring

Is this how you left the settings on ride height?
It looks to be all the way down, yet your ride height doesn't reflect that.

If that is correct spinning the collars all the way up would result in higher than normal clearance no?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
Is this how you left the settings on ride height?
It looks to be all the way down, yet your ride height doesn't reflect that.

If that is correct spinning the collars all the way up would result in higher than normal clearance no?
I am not really sure what was done to set the ride height. Though it could certainly go even lower. My request was to line up the tires with the fenders, but Indidn't want too much of a drop.

The car really does handle nicely now. It would look good with 18s, but I like the 17iinch M sport wheels alot. We'll see, need to drive around more now!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
I am not really sure what was done to set the ride height. Though it could certainly go even lower. My request was to line up the tires with the fenders, but Indidn't want too much of a drop.

The car really does handle nicely now. It would look good with 18s, but I like the 17iinch M sport wheels alot. We'll see, need to drive around more now!
any problems at the dealership? and did you get them corner balanced?
      11-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
mke135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Cabrio

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Can you adjust the ride height after they are installed? Thinking about a more agressive drop during summer / less during winter kind of deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Thaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Yes, ride height can be adjusted.

I'll be honest though, after a while, you won't want to mess around with adjusting the ride height and dampening (although the V1's don't allow you to adjust dampening). You'll get tired of it, and I'm quite sure 99% of coilover owners just "set it and forget it".

Plus, after a while of driving and a season or two of dirty post-winter roads, they will become more difficult to adjust as dirt and grime will make it's way into the threads.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
apboogiedown
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

How much did it cost for everything include installing?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apboogiedown View Post
How much did it cost for everything include installing?
Below is a post from another thread where he mentions price + install:

Quote:
Mine were a little under $1300 plus... $769 installation. The install took five hours, and included height adjustment and alignment. I had the car lowered only about .25 inches, so much less than the above photo. But it looks and rides great.
Some of the later posts in that thread mention cheaper install prices.
Appreciate 0