BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #23
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Great write up once again I'm looking forward to this mod more now Spring cant come fast enough but at least i have the bushings in hand.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #24
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm really thinking of doing this. However, I found that Powerflex sell inserts that fill in the gaps in the OE bushings.

I had read this in a post somewhere but I can't find it now. Has anyone had any experience or heard of using these.

The advantage is simply from an installation perspective. Of course the vendor info says that it works great. Apparently the real issue with the OEM is that the are hollow.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5teN View Post
Any idea what the "special" BMW tool looks like? Would it be easy to make one? Or purchase one..

You can rent the installation tool from HPA....

Name:  securedownload.jpg
Views: 3062
Size:  154.5 KB

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415382
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #26
opvaulet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
I'm really thinking of doing this. However, I found that Powerflex sell inserts that fill in the gaps in the OE bushings.

I had read this in a post somewhere but I can't find it now. Has anyone had any experience or heard of using these.

The advantage is simply from an installation perspective. Of course the vendor info says that it works great. Apparently the real issue with the OEM is that the are hollow.
Yes. They do work really well. Good option unless the OEM is torn. Biggest gain is the back end responds to steering immediately. Tons of time saved by not having to remove original bushings.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Indi shop can do for #400.
      01-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

i cant wait for my bushings to get here! I ordered through dan@united, his shipping was 100 bucks cheaper to my APO address than HPA's.

I will probably do a suspension/brake install all at once, since the system needs to be bled anyway.I was planning on dropping the entire rear axle/subframe/suspension as one unit. I think that would be the easiest way to do it, and wouldn't require an alignment, because none of the suspension components would be removed from the subframe.

Im going to do my front suspension at the same time, so i will get an alignment regardless, but to people doing this as a solo mod, i think that method would be a good way to save a few bucks, not having to re-align it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by opvaulet View Post
Yes. They do work really well. Good option unless the OEM is torn. Biggest gain is the back end responds to steering immediately. Tons of time saved by not having to remove original bushings.

How much did you guys pay for your Powerflex inserts? The last time I looked at them on the web... they wanted over $460 for the rear axle set. For that kind of money I would rather have quality BMW M3 units. Which is why I went with the M3 ones.

I agree with your stteering comment opvaulet the whole front end feels much more planted now and seems to work better. Like I have said in my OP these rear bushings really transform the way our cars drive! It is a MUST DO mod as far as I am concerned. I might be able to live w/o an LSD but I had to have these bushings. Especially now that I can feel how much they improved teh way my car drives!

Dack
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Harold at HPA will rent out the tool, well worth renting, it can be done without them if you are McIver or some kind of boy genius, it's a snap with the right tools. Before and after is like day and night, well worth it as far as modifications go.
Fran
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #31
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=powerflex

Here is where I found the info when I was looking to find out about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

How much did you guys pay for your Powerflex inserts? The last time I looked at them on the web... they wanted over $460 for the rear axle set. For that kind of money I would rather have quality BMW M3 units. Which is why I went with the M3 ones.

I agree with your stteering comment opvaulet the whole front end feels much more planted now and seems to work better. Like I have said in my OP these rear bushings really transform the way our cars drive! It is a MUST DO mod as far as I am concerned. I might be able to live w/o an LSD but I had to have these bushings. Especially now that I can feel how much they improved teh way my car drives!

Dack
I purchased the Poweflex inserts and installed them at home while doing the rear swaybar upgrade. I went off of the instructions that a guy on E90post had and followed everything to the T. Overall, installation was not bad with the exception of the rears which wound up being a bit of a hassle to secure in place since they kept slipping out. Once secured though I did the fronts. It took me a bit of time until I realized that I needed to remove the front base plates that hold the front portion of the subframe. The front ones went in very smoothly.

On the road, the difference is very apparent as the rear has no sloppy feeling whatsoever. Left to right transitions are very firm and planted and has a better solid feel.

http://store.powerflexusa.com/bmw-e8...ngs-p1203.aspx

This website does show an array of different bushing replacements for the whole suspension with teh most expensive ones at $459. The solid poly ones are about $259. If I had to do this again, I would probably go with the M3 bushings and have someone install them. Now don't get me wrong, the inserts are a great alternative for the DIY'er and not bad at all for the price. Once I have more time in the car since the Bavarian weather is "so Beautiful" during this time and I have to wait to get my license back I can give a better review. For now, that is my initial assesment, but will eventually go with the M3 bushes.
      01-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #32
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
No Wolfe, for the front bushing where it attaches to the car chassis - it has a square hole. The chassis has a square peg that mates up exactly. So the axle then "locks into" the body of the car. This square notch or peg is only on one side.

I don't know how the tech lined the bushing up with the axle carrier. I suspec BMW puts little "arrows" on the axle subframe to show the installer how to mount the bushing. Much in the same way front control arm bushings for an e36/e46 has on those eye-lets.

Also... my biggest fear after I had commited to this "upgrade" was I was affraid of how the rear suspension would react to bump steer. Espcially in the rain and in mid turn. I was worried how the car's rear axle would behave durring bumps while cornering. I had thought since these bushings are so much harder(in my hand) than stock OE ones, that I would have to put up with a lot of bump steer. But to my surprise there is NONE.

There is literally no downside to this upgrade other than the cost and a slightly rougher ride on really(really!) bad cobble stone roads. But I really don't drive on cobble stone roads (much) - so this is no big deal. On any kind of pavement the car rides just like normal. Just without ANY wiggle or squirm.
There's still bump steer; you haven't encountered it yet. It is reduced w/these bushings. These bushings w/m3 front control arms are by far the best susp mod if you're running on non-rft Only downside is a slight increase in NVH..
Hope you enjoy your new found stability
      01-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #33
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

I've been saying I was going to do this and held off. This year though...this year, seriously.
Thanks Dackel!
      01-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #34
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

hey dack welcome to the club now go ahead and get the full swap done

Quote:
Noop! Your car has them! You have the soft OE bushings too - according to RealOEM.com

Looks like just about every 1er and 3er use the soft/rubbery bushings. I think you have just adjusted to your car's suspension (soft and rubbery)characteristics.

Here are the OE (soft bushings) shown on RealOEM.com for all the various BMW models they are used on:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....t=+33316758259+
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
hey dack welcome to the club now go ahead and get the full swap done

I plan to get the rest of the M3 bits(soon). I hope sometime this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #36
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

You wont regret it, also bmw seems to be raising their prices lately so dont wait to long.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #37
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I'm visiting the dealer in the morning to get a quote for the M3 rear subframe bushings, the M3 bits up front, and the performance suspension so I can figure out where to order my parts. Other than tint and debadge, I've really never modded any of my cars, so I figure with this one, "it's now or never" and "go big (for me anyway) or go home".

Cheers,
Bryan
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #38
Edogg218
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

+1 on the M3 rear subframe bushings! I just had them installed, and the car feels sharper, tighter, along with everything Dack already mentioned. Definitely worth the money!
      11-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #39
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Dack,

After a year or so of having them, any signs of wear or any changes in handling? Still the same nice, planted, solid feeling?
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #40
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Dack,

After a year or so of having them, any signs of wear or any changes in handling? Still the same nice, planted, solid feeling?
The ride is still PERFECT! Its firm and planted and no sign of wiggling around in the corners or at high speeds. Our cars should have come with these mounts! No more rubber band feeling from the rear axle.

What has impressed me most about changing these four rear axle bushings to the M3 parts... is how pronounced the change is to the FRONT axle. The car turns in better and responds to steering inputs better. The car tracks better, and it feels much more nimble than before. Changing these four rear bushings really have helped the sporty feeling of the entire car(suspension). Put simply it is a MUST HAVE mod.

Also a note: for the 6MT guys(like me) upgrading to e46M3 rear trans saddle mounts is also a good upgrade. Its on my List for Spring time mods. Right now my car is sleeping for the winter though.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #41
clutch128
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Quote:
You can rent the installation tool from HPA....

Attachment 634047

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415382
I used that kit. It's fantastic. I don't remember it looking that shiny though
Ohlins R&T : Swift 672 lbs/in rear-392 lbs/in front : Vorshlag (-2.7): M3 lower control arms : M3 rear subframe bushings : M3 front sway (stock rear) : Quaife LSD : Apex Arc-8 18"/8" : Breyton GTSR 18"/7.5"/8.5" : StopTech BBK (F&R) : BMW perf exhaust : Mason strut brace : BMW carbon rear lip
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #42
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
Indi shop can do for #400.
Is that British pounds?
      05-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #43
DietTab
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

You can do all four bushings in about 5 minutes with a mapp gas torch and a flat socket. Drop cradle enough to place socket over locator, then jack up cradle until it is supported by the car. Apply mapp gas to sleeve. Car's weight acts as hydraulic press and bushing comes out like butter. Super simple, and you don't have to deal with wrenching on a removal tool.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #44
Fresh2391
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i (E82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edogg218 View Post
+1 on the M3 rear subframe bushings! I just had them installed, and the car feels sharper, tighter, along with everything Dack already mentioned. Definitely worth the money!
I know this thread is a little aged, but I'm getting the bushings done this weekend. Mechanic said the same about the front subframe bushings, but he thinks he it might unsafe going through the top...any thoughts on this? I know the bushings have that lip to keep them in place...to a degree, so is that lip just pushed through until it pops out the other side or is the bushing installed backwards?
Appreciate 0