BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
SoFloE82
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Opinions on Boost Leak / Targeting Issues

Hi Guys,

Soliciting opinions on my boost issues. I'm nowhere near target and WGDC seems to stay unusually high.

I put my car in the shop today for a smoke test. They found two leaks on the intake side of the turbo, on both ends of the turbo inlet pipe. He thinks this may be causing the problem by allowing unmetered air into the turbo.

I'll find out this afternoon if that was causing my issue.

Anything else I should be looking into? Would the pressure converter cause WGDC to be out of spec and cause boost to remain under target? I was thinking I'd try that next if they are unable to resolve the issue today.

LOG HERE

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
SoFloE82
Private
Rep

Just a quick update. Picked up the car this evening after the shop verified I have no boost leaks from any piping (they have yet to verify the wastegate functionality itself), and I'm still having the same underboost problems.

My next attempt to resolve this issue is going to be the pressure converter. I have one ordered and will get it on the car by the end of the week to see if that might be my issue.

A little more background on the issue:
I noticed it last Tuesday an a random day after work. I went to give my friend a pull in the car and there was no power. I happened to have an intercooler and DV+ in the garage waiting to be installed, so I went ahead and put them both on the car thinking that it may be the OEM DV or a lose IC pipe causing the leak. After the install I still had the same symptoms so I know its neither of those parts.

Crossing my fingers on the pressure converter.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloE82 View Post
I went to give my friend a pull in the car .
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
lol

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
SoFloE82
Private
Rep

Quick update: I changed the pressure converter last week, it didn't resolve the issue. My shop tech is thinking it might be the wastage adjustment. I'm thinking more likely a small crack in one of the plastic pipes exposed to boost (inlet or outlet) or an o-ring. I'm going to drop the car off with him again this week. I'm also going to ask that he does a pressure test rather than a smoke test to see if anything leaks under boost rather than low-pressure smoke.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
SoFloE82
Private
Rep

Finally a somewhat positive update:

I ran a pressure test in my garage and found a major leak on the connection to the hot side of the IC from the turbo outlet. I ordered the VRSF outlet and installed it this morning. Ran a log and I'm finally hitting target during initial WOT.

I'm not positive what the standard target deviation on a tune like this should be. Can someone take a look? I notice my WGDC seems to be extremely high, is that normal? Not sure what's normal after chasing this leak for the last month. Thanks!

https://datazap.me/u/adamlender/new-...=0&data=3-4-12
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
Mybimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 118d & E82 135i

You are way off on your load target and boost target. The problem is either a boost leak or bad wastegates. Check all boost pipes again including charge pipe to throttle body. I find the best way to install charge pipe is remove the throttle body and install charge pipe on to throttle body then bolt throttle body back on to the inlet manifold.
Appreciate 0