2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
quite an old episode really.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:02 AM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Thx for posting as I never saw it (now I can safely say that I never missed seeing it )

That is some hyper entertainment approach (vs real world relevant information). Notwithstanding TG's car review style, around may 2011, JC's first review of the 1M without a single critique, was my final confirmation to get it without a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Never seen this one so thanks.

I don't think that an offroader in the grass actually is as fast as a 1M on tarmac lol. Or is it a Dakar specced Bowler like thing?

Is Hammond wearing a 16610 or a 116610 LN?
I can't tell, he 's weaving his hands around like he's trying to swim the Pacific...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Never seen it, thanks for posting.

But watching this video makes me realize how little I like Top Gear's "entertaining" approach to car reviews/journalism. I much prefer seeing Chris Harris talk about the car details as he drives it near the limit. He really makes you feel like you're in the drivers seat.
      02-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Never seen it, thanks for posting.

But watching this video makes me realize how little I like Top Gear's "entertaining" approach to car reviews/journalism. I much prefer seeing Chris Harris talk about the car details as he drives it near the limit. He really makes you feel like you're in the drivers seat.
i dislike chris harris' reviews. he takes himself way too seriously......i'd rather drive cars myself to see if i like it rather than to hear a puffed up journalist tell me what to think. Top Gear, on the other hand, is more for entertainment.....mindless entertainment! lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i dislike chris harris' reviews. he takes himself way too seriously......i'd rather drive cars myself to see if i like it rather than to hear a puffed up journalist tell me what to think. Top Gear, on the other hand, is more for entertainment.....mindless entertainment! lol.
You'd rather drive a car yourself than see or hear journalist do the same?! Shocker!
      02-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Thx for posting. I had not seen it yet.
      02-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
You'd rather drive a car yourself than see or hear journalist do the same?! Shocker!
I feel like too many people are way too influenced by reviews and what OTHER people say----which is how so many people live their lives. Most people just buy the gospel of others having never experience those things themselves......i find that utterly pointless. Case in point---the peeps who watch 'serious' auto reviewers and then argue as if they ALL have that sort of experience driving those cars. Living vicariously though someone else to the Nth degree....

Entertainment, on the other hand, is a light bit of variety....not to interfere with an experience but to add to it.

Last edited by IEDEI; 02-06-2014 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I feel like too many people are way too influenced by reviews and what OTHER people say----which is how so many people live their lives. Most people just buy the gospel of others having never experience those things themselves......i find that utterly pointless. Case in point---the peeps who watch 'serious' auto reviewers and then argue as if they ALL have that sort of experience driving those cars. Living vicariously though someone else to the Nth degree....

Entertainment, on the other hand, is a light bit of variety....not to interfere with an experience but to add to it.
There were some special circumstances where one doesn't have the opportunity to drive a car before purchase. I'd guess nearly all 1M owners here, myself included, have some experience with that. I bought the car and flew all the way to Germany without ever even seeing a 1M!
      02-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
There were some special circumstances where one doesn't have the opportunity to drive a car before purchase. I'd guess nearly all 1M owners here, myself included, have some experience with that. I bought the car and flew all the way to Germany without ever even seeing a 1M!
same here

wasn't sure if i made a good decision even on the flight there.

but as soon as the car's engine turned over i was in for a big grin.

there were people filming/taking pictures from the overpass due to the exhaust notes bouncing off the walls.
      02-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
An interesting read:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599859
      02-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
godzilla-1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Just to add

Got my 1M a few months ago, no test drive required as i knew exactly what it would be like and i wasnt disappointed. Part of that conclusion was from the fact that every review raved about it!!! people that dont really know about cars rely on journalists reviews, for us petrolheads they just back up what we already thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #14
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

yeaaaa
      02-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #15
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:

I have to agree with this. Case in point is how just about everyone on the 1er forum complains about understeer, even people who just drive on the street. The genesis of this idea is almost entirely from Randy Probst's review for Motortrend back in 2009. One half of those folks seem to never have bothered realizing that a professional driver on a race track and them taking a highway on/off-ramp are not even close to the same thing (you would not experience the understeer in the latter because you are not at the limit of traction). The other half use their anecdotal evidence of their track/autox experience as their proof, despite the reality that the most likely culprit of their issues stems from their own driving habits and abilities, not the car's.
Appreciate 0