BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
PKR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 1948 CJ-2A

Options/Packages - Resale

I'm considering getting a 128i and am pretty familiar with all of the packages and options. What would really help though is to understand which ones help resale and which ones don't. For example, in many parts of the US not having heated seats can hurt when its time to sell/trade.
I'm on the fence over whether to get the moonroof. Since it has only recently become an option it may be too early to tell but it would help to understand how popular an option it is. Same thing for others ... what helps ... what hurts?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

No real way to know...but if I had to guess I would think the M-Sport Package would help resale, just because it gives your car a different appearance than most of the cars out there since the option wasnt always available
      11-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
lll3575
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

imo, no options would probably give the best resale

when I search for a used car, I would probably look for one with the lowest mileage, latest year, and best price.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpxs522 View Post
imo, no options would probably give the best resale

when I search for a used car, I would probably look for one with the lowest mileage, latest year, and best price.
Touche!
      11-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
OK....my opinion:

With automatic trans, I would think that adding a few more "luxury" options may help...Premium Pkg maybe, Cold weather Pkg.
With manual trans, fewer options...No moonroof would be good if the future buyer is looking to get a track car and wants more headroom for a helmut and a slight weight savings. I would think that No moonroof may be a real selling point due to those advantages and the fact that I believe that most cars will have the moonroof, so those without will be more rare.

With either trans, I would go with either the Sports Pkg or M-Sports Pkg and Xenon Lights.

With either trans I would NOT get Park distance control.

Navigation system.....??? I'm really torn on this one. I have it and love it. There are lots of things that are easier to view on the "big Screen" than on the gauge cluster screen. On the other hand (as many have discussed on this forum) you can save lots of $$ if you don't get it and buy a windshield mount type from Garmin or others.

NOW.....the real question is.....Are you really that concerned about resale? Again, this is only my opinion, you should get the options/packages that will make you more enjoy your car while you own it.

I see you are in Maryland...where?
I'm in Finksburg. If you need additional information PM me.

Tom

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

My advice: Don't over-think it, get the things YOU want. If you don't want the sunroof, don't get it. Personally I think the car is best in near basic form. For enthusiastic driving I do feel the sport pkg is a must, ipod integration is nice and would be a selling point I think. My guess is, esp. a manual car- not having sport would generally hurt more than not having a sunroof. I don't think that not having leather, heated seats would hurt too much- are they nice? yes and I don't regret the splurge on those. The 1's MO is back to basics driving pleasure and kept in simple form it delivers- for a nice price. Xenon's? Eh- they look cool but for me not worth it and as I plan to keep the car long term not cheap if they go wrong. If I were ordering a '10 I'd probably tic the exact same boxes and quite possibly leave the sunroof on the cutting room floor.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Talking Order what YOU want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
OK....my opinion:
NOW.....the real question is.....Are you really that concerned about resale? Again, this is only my opinion, you should get the options/packages that will make you more enjoy your car while you own it.
I agree entirely: get the options YOU want so that you can enjoy the car while you have it. That's what I did and I absolutely love the options I chose because they meet my needs and desires.
      11-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
PKR
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the perspective.
One of my goals is to keep the price low, but I don't want to leave something off that's really popular. I can think of several items I'd like but ... BUT the question is "am I willing to pay $500/$1000 or more"? Truth be told I really CAN enjoy the car without a sunroof ... or CA ...etc.. As much as I might enjoy having them they won't define the experience.
The thing about resale though is that you're aiming for what MOST target buyers want on a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

My AW 09 128 6-speed has the sport package, xenons (the regular lights look cheap) and Coral leather. I have since added the M-sport package myself since it was not available when I ordered my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
GotM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ 6MT

Like others have said, get what YOU want. This way you will enjoy the car more. If you really want to see the pennies on the $ you get for options go add similar options to a 5 year old 3 series in Edmunds or similar, and see how much the added value comes to. Usually not much.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Items that truly help re-sale/ trade in

Heated seats & the moonroof. Ipod adapters are gaining momentum as well.

Those 3 items will never hurt resale, but will instead help maintain value. Nothing will truly ADD value
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
Heated seats & the moonroof. Ipod adapters are gaining momentum as well.

Those 3 items will never hurt resale, but will instead help maintain value. Nothing will truly ADD value
Unless it is a M3
      11-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Unless it is a M3

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

These discussions are always interesting, and I think getting what you want is of course the most important thing. That said I agree with Dave that certain options do make a car more marketable on resale, and if you're debating them you might consider that if you're on the fence about whether to spend the money. Other than maybe Bluetooth and Sport you're probably not going to get anything close to a 100% return at sale time, but IMHO the options with the best "return" of their original cost are probably:

1. Bluetooth: With states passing handsfree laws left and right I think we're headed to a point where the majority of buyers are going to view this as a must-have.

2. Sport Package or M-Sport - Particularly 135s and 6mt cars. Cars without sport seem to have a smaller buyer pool.

3. Leather/Premium - Same deal, lots of folks that insist on leather (for better or worse), and Premium is always a selling point.

4. Heated seats/CWP - A near must in cold climates and on convertibles particularly. And I think still has adds value unless you live in a really temperate climate like CA, TX, or FL.

5. Ipod/USB - My local dealer seems to be ordering 90% of their cars with this, and having it I can see why. $400 well spent both for functionality and marketability on resale in my opinion.

6. Comfort access - Seems like the people that value this *really* value it. I expect as more and more are exposed to these keyless systems and they continue to trickle down that they will be more in demand.

7. Xenons on 128 cars for both looks, functionality, and marketability. Not cheap but worth it IMHO.

I would put HiFi, Sirius, Nav, and most of the other options in the category of "lower return" choices that you're buying because you want them, but that aren't going to have a huge effect on marketability and resale (particularly in light of their initial cost). And of course things like active steering and cruise are options at the bottom of the pile as far as that goes.

Obviously color and transmission are going to have an effect on these things as well, but realistically most people know what they want there and shouldn't alter that because of resale (maybe other than buying very non-standard color combos like blue over red, if you're into that do it just be prepared to have to work a bit harder to find a buyer when you're ready to move on).

Just my .02.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
tm30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

I find I rarely use the moonroof on my 128. I think it's a good selling option because people tend to automatically think they'll use it a lot and enjoy it, but I really don't. But unless you really want it, I would pass.

If you get a 6mt, absolutely get the sport package. M-sport is nice, but I didn't attach any premium to it when I was looking at used 135's. Anyone who drives in sport seats versus stock will immediately put a premium on the comfort upgrade and handling. Most people who actively seek out 6mt's will appreciate these upgrades.

Integrated iPod - yes yes yes, and yes. Even without iDrive, this is a great feature. I have no problem at all navigating through the stereo... speaking of which ...

Premium HiFi - This one is hit and miss. If you're like me, I find this to be indispensible with the iPod integration. I know a lot of people are happy with the stock stereo. I'd also be perfectly happy eating at Outback Steakhouse if I never went to a Ruth's Chris. The equalizers and added amps/speakers make a world of difference, in my opinion. Add to that, the stock stereo on 2010's is actually a step down from the stock stereo on earlier models. I've had more than a few people get into my car and actually gasp when they heard the stereo. Again - some people will pay for it. Others will not give a crap. It's pricey, but considering the sheer enjoyment I've gotten out of it, it's worth it to me, even if I lose it in resale.

Bluetooth/BMW assist - I can't imagine driving with a cellphone pressed to my ear. I think this is a very attractive option, given the legislative and social trends. It's also nice knowing if I'm at the side of the road, I can just press a button and help is on the way.

Heated seats - If you're in cold weather country, as these become more prevalent in other brands/makes, this may not be a "wow" option when you sell it, but it might be a "wah wah wahhhhh...." reaction if you don't have it.
      12-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
PKR
Private
United_States
Rep

Again, thanks for all of your suggestions.
I've just returned from test drives in both a 6MT and a Step-128i. Honestly, the step- was a very pleasant surprise; I suspect the higher (num.) final drive is what makes the car feel more responsive.
In any case, this brings me back to the original question, though with a twist. Some have suggested that a Step- equipped 128i might suggest other "luxury" options. And therein lies my problem .... this quickly adds up to a fairly expensive car. So what do you think the "gotta's" are for a Step- 128 ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #17
smpeck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Coupe (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0zbone View Post
Again, thanks for all of your suggestions.
I've just returned from test drives in both a 6MT and a Step-128i. Honestly, the step- was a very pleasant surprise; I suspect the higher (num.) final drive is what makes the car feel more responsive.
In any case, this brings me back to the original question, though with a twist. Some have suggested that a Step- equipped 128i might suggest other "luxury" options. And therein lies my problem .... this quickly adds up to a fairly expensive car. So what do you think the "gotta's" are for a Step- 128 ?
If you are economizing, here are my thoughts for either a manual or steptronic:

Sport package (either), heated seats, iPod adapter, throw in BMW Assist just to get the Bluetooth. The leather vs. leatherette is your choice. Oh, and never get the Jet Black paint.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

I think the conventional wisdom is that you will never recover the cost of options in a resale. Go with what you can afford and will really enjoy.

At the risk of creating another flame thread:

Like it or not, auto trannies are the choice of most American consumers. If you go manual, you will significantly reduce the number of potential buyers. So, while auto is a little more expensive, it will probably sell much faster. This is why its so hard to find an MT to test drive at dealerships in the US.

That being said - I think anyone would be insane to choose their tranny based on potential resale value.

Let the flames begin...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #19
PKR
Private
United_States
Rep

I certainly won't light that fire! I completely agree ... I wouldn't chose stick or step- based on resale. I was very pleasantly surprised with the step-. The fact that I'm looking at moving to an area with some heavy traffic is certainly a factor though.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
RIbimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 128i, '17 i3 BEV

My 128i M-Sport only has ipod and heated seat options. The only option missing that I wish I got is xenons. I doubt they help resale value much, however.

My CA understood that I was trying to keep my costs low and that I didn't want a pile of luxury options. However, he did play the "resale value" card when asking me to consider:

A) Power seats
B) Bluetooth/smartphone integration