BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

HPDE Schools - Hooked On Driving

Has anyone attended Hooked on Driving events? I'm looking for some formal instruction and one of the regional tracks has a few different sets of instructors that rotate through.

If you have used HoD personally I would appreciate your feedback.
      03-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Has anyone attended Hooked on Driving events? I'm looking for some formal instruction and one of the regional tracks has a few different sets of instructors that rotate through.

If you have used HoD personally I would appreciate your feedback.
I believe they are operated regionally by different leadership, so the experience may be a bit different out here(California) rather than over there but they put on the most well run HPDE's out here. Especially if you are new to track driving. Out here they have car control clinics and classroom instruction before you even hit the track and support you throughout the day with classroom instruction after each session. Coaching ride alongs are free. Outside of BMWCCA they are the most thorough.

I drove with them today at Sears Point and like always they put on a great and safe event. I drive with them about 7-10 days a year, plus they offer other cool stuff for frequent drivers like press events and driving events put on by car manufacturers or tire manufacturers. Today I got to ride along in a new Mclaren MP412C and an Ariel Atom which was a blast. Earlier this year I got to go to a Pirelli event where they lets us drive a handful of cars(Porsche 911S, BMW 328, Jeep SRT8) outfitted with different Pirelli tires on a Autox course and wet and dry skidpad.

Can't say enough good things about my experience with them. I'll post videos from today once I finish editing them.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Excellent, just what I was looking for.

There's another one here called Dark Side DE, but I cant seem to find anything about them. They have a surcharge for instructors though, which is really what I am looking for, so I don't want to pay extra for it.
      04-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
davidmoffitt
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 135i

They are indeed good - often more costly than going out with your local BMW CCA chapter, but decent "intro" instruction. I prefer running with the PCA - especially since they've now allowed more late passing for the black run groups (it's still NOT racing, nor meant to be, but a lot more fun, frankly, if you're out there w/ a bunch of people you know understand what they're doing) but that's my $.02
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
drcollie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 'Vert '12

For those of you considering taking your BMW out for a track day, be aware that more and more insurance companies specifically exclude coverage in your auto policy if you have a crash while at a track venue. The event does not have to be a race, or even timed. You crash while in the gates of the facility, they're not covering you....and an BMW is a pretty costly car to put in the junkyard on your own dime.

Be careful making inquiries to ask about the coverage as well. USAA is well-known to drop you from their policies if you even asked (they dropped me in 2003 when I inquired).

There is specialty insurance out there - suggest you buy it if you are taking your high dollar cars out to the track. Here is a New York times article on it as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/au...SURE.html?_r=0
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Hooked on Driving puts on very high quality and safe events. I've done maybe 4 or so over the past year and have not been disappointed. I've brought a handful of friends to the events and all of them have become addicted to the experience i.e. repeat customers.

David Ray is the founder and a Northern Californian. The organization is expanding and if I'm not mistaken there are regional franchisees (i.e. owner/operators) across the US. Based on my interactions with him and his leadership team, they are intent on achieving/maintaining a very high level of consistency and quality with any event bearing their name.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Awesome feedback. Thanks.

Yeah, theres a great Track Insurance company here that I can buy insurance on my car for on a daily basis. Great stuff supposedly.
      04-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Awesome feedback. Thanks.

Yeah, theres a great Track Insurance company here that I can buy insurance on my car for on a daily basis. Great stuff supposedly.
You wont need it if youre safe. I would buy depending on the track and the organization im running with. And dont exceed your driving skills.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

I may be "Coaching" with HOD at Roebling in a couple of weeks. I've run two events with them at Roebling Road and one at Road Atlanta this year. They have a one-day format that I like. It's enough track time that I get my fix, but saves wear and tear on me and my wallet.
Appreciate 0