BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #199
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaDog View Post
Any particular reason you would go for clutch type over helical? How do you find the diff ratio?

Also Bimarcos look really good for the money

Thanks for the reply!
I'm using the stock ratio since the N54 has plenty of low end torque and getting out of slower corners in 3rd isn't usually an issue and actually reduces wheel spin which is nice on corner exit.

A clutch type diff would be awesome but I try to keep costs down as much as possible and the $750 price of the Mfactory diff during their GB was too good to pass up.

If I go clutch type I'll likely go with a full M3 rear-end and go OEM E92 LSD which would allow me to run normal offset wheels too. Not trying to spend $3-4k on a diffsonline LSD as great as that would be.
      01-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #200
I am Jacks N54
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

spxxx how are you liking the 510's after spending more time with them? How are the 400/750 rates on the street?

They are at the top of my list for dual-duty with more focus on street. Any feedback would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #201
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Jacks N54 View Post
spxxx how are you liking the 510's after spending more time with them? How are the 400/750 rates on the street?

They are at the top of my list for dual-duty with more focus on street. Any feedback would be helpful.
They're great, I don't drive it on the street too much anymore but it's totally bearable. I'm going to bump up to 500/800 soon, hope I don't see too much increase in understeer with the stiffer springs up front.
      01-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #202
I am Jacks N54
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
They're great, I don't drive it on the street too much anymore but it's totally bearable. I'm going to bump up to 500/800 soon, hope I don't see too much increase in understeer with the stiffer springs up front.
Good to hear, thanks! I'll prob try 6k/12k because I'm 70% street focused, but it's great to hear actual feedback on our platform. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #203
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
We have 600/800 in my wife's 135i, and it pushes like a motherfucker. -3.5*/-2.2* camber, stock sway bars. This was sort of done purposely as it is a hillclimb/TT car, and her going backwards into trees isn't something I really want to happen, but I autocrossed it and it was total shit. 500/800 would probably be pretty good on track. I think I may bump her front rate down a bit and go with a little more rear bar.

I will be running the 510s this year on my E36, really looking forward to trying them out. Have heard good things.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 05:00 AM   #204
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
We have 600/800 in my wife's 135i, and it pushes like a motherfucker. -3.5*/-2.2* camber, stock sway bars. This was sort of done purposely as it is a hillclimb/TT car, and her going backwards into trees isn't something I really want to happen, but I autocrossed it and it was total shit. 500/800 would probably be pretty good on track. I think I may bump her front rate down a bit and go with a little more rear bar.

I will be running the 510s this year on my E36, really looking forward to trying them out. Have heard good things.
Did you lower the car much or much the same with the 600/800?
spxxx You got 500/800 in yet? OEM M LSD is bad btw, always spins inside wheel before actually locking like a true clutch type.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #205
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
spxxx You got 500/800 in yet? OEM M LSD is bad btw, always spins inside wheel before actually locking like a true clutch type.
Car has an MFactory helical diff. No real issues with inside wheelspin unless a tire is off the ground from what I have felt, wife doesn't have any issues anyway (it's her hillclimb/time trial car).

Car is lowered but not excessively. Bought it modified so not sure on stock height, best guess is 1.5" lower than stock.

Haven't changed springs yet, solidly into winter here and it doesn't get driven in salt (although I did take it out Sunday and destroy about 2k of tire life in 20 miles .
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #206
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Car has an MFactory helical diff. No real issues with inside wheelspin unless a tire is off the ground from what I have felt, wife doesn't have any issues anyway (it's her hillclimb/time trial car).

Car is lowered but not excessively. Bought it modified so not sure on stock height, best guess is 1.5" lower than stock.

Haven't changed springs yet, solidly into winter here and it doesn't get driven in salt (although I did take it out Sunday and destroy about 2k of tire life in 20 miles .
I also have the Helical Mfactory LSD, Its survived 2yrs+ of track day abuse and I really like it. Locks up better than the E92/E82 1M/M3 diff of the same generation IMO
      04-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #207
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

By chance are you using linear throttle mapping with xhp? I am exploring a 335i 6AT dual duty build but read LT mapping on xhp is not suggested as tcu control works on pedal input (and assumes stock throttle).

Any ill effects if you are? Stock throttle mapping is undrivable for me on track
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #208
Mr. Pharaoh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i coupe

Are you planning on running any NASA events in the near future? Been looking forward to seeing you out at Sonoma since seeing the car on track last season but, haven't crossed paths yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #209
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pharaoh View Post
Are you planning on running any NASA events in the near future? Been looking forward to seeing you out at Sonoma since seeing the car on track last season but, haven't crossed paths yet.
I would also be in to see a 1er on track giving it the beans. I just moved up to silicon valley so exploring the area a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #210
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
I hope to. I've been traveling a lot more for work and had some family stuff come up so I've missed a ton of track days unfortunately. Haven't been to a track in 4+ months.

Def hope to meet up soon, what's the next NASA NorCal event?
      05-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #211
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:
I would also be in to see a 1er on track giving it the beans. I just moved up to silicon valley so exploring the area a bit.
Nice, where at?

My track car has been sitting in my garage collecting dust, so sad. Might start daily driving it and decide if I want to dual duty it (and sell the daily) or keep it track only.

I have another 08 135i that I'm driving now daily, picked it up super cheap and figured it was easier than getting the track car smogged and registered for 2019.

Would love a real racecar, been looking at spec46 once the budget/work schedule allows it.
      05-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #212
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice, where at?

My track car has been sitting in my garage collecting dust, so sad. Might start daily driving it and decide if I want to dual duty it (and sell the daily) or keep it track only.

I have another 08 135i that I'm driving now daily, picked it up super cheap and figured it was easier than getting the track car smogged and registered for 2019.

Would love a real racecar, been looking at spec46 once the budget/work schedule allows it.
I'm down in Santa Clara now, been exploring mostly the area down here From San Jose down and over to Santa Cruz, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #213
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:
Nice, where at?

I'm down in Santa Clara now, been exploring mostly the area down here From San Jose down and over to Santa Cruz, etc.
Nice, I live in Willow Glen but work in Santa Cruz (if I'm not working from home because people can't figure out how to drive on hwy17)
      05-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #214
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
I will be curious to hear your input - my car is hugely better with the 500/700 setup I have than the 400/700 I ran last year. It is much more transitionally responsive for autocross and both my codriver and I find the car remains balanced nicely with a little less oversteer but virtually no understeer. It is worth noting that I run a little rake - I find a lot of people in these cars either by design or accident end up with no or negative rake and that causes a lot of understeer.

-Mark
      05-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #215
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice, I live in Willow Glen but work in Santa Cruz (if I'm not working from home because people can't figure out how to drive on hwy17)
Ohh sweet. Yeah I'm looking to maybe buy a house in that area between San Jose and Santa Cruz, scenic location, housing market hasn't gotten too crazy and still decently close to most of Silicon Valley. Still have yet to find the best roads in the area though. Someone suggested Highway 9, that was nice, also drove around some of the Uvas lakes here south of San Jose. Have yet to find anything that compares to my beloved mountain roads in Malibu or the Ojai area.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #216
Mr. Pharaoh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i coupe

Quote:
I hope to. I've been traveling a lot more for work and had some family stuff come up so I've missed a ton of track days unfortunately. Haven't been to a track in 4+ months.

Def hope to meet up soon, what's the next NASA NorCal event?
Sonoma. Next weekend May 18 and 19.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #217
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
So the fortune where the best out of all?

Interesting! Fortune are also monotube?
They are monotube, correct. I don't know if I can positively say "best overall" but I'm super happy with them and they're only $2k with springs & camber plates. Which is insanely cheap even compared to my discounted MCS singles which are ~$3.2k once you add up springs and camber plates.

I'll post of my video from Buttonwillow and you can see how aggressively I was hopping curbs, the car was pretty well settled.

Best bang for buck IMO, I also like the Bilstein PSS10 with linear spring setup. Bulletproof monotube shocks with decent adjustability.
What linear spring rates did you use with the PSS10 dampers? I've got an ongoing email chain with Swift right now. It seems you have experimented with this so I'm looking for your thoughts before I pull the trigger. I don't want to add so much spring that the dampers become ineffective.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #218
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
So the fortune where the best out of all?

Interesting! Fortune are also monotube?
They are monotube, correct. I don't know if I can positively say "best overall" but I'm super happy with them and they're only $2k with springs & camber plates. Which is insanely cheap even compared to my discounted MCS singles which are ~$3.2k once you add up springs and camber plates.

I'll post of my video from Buttonwillow and you can see how aggressively I was hopping curbs, the car was pretty well settled.

Best bang for buck IMO, I also like the Bilstein PSS10 with linear spring setup. Bulletproof monotube shocks with decent adjustability.
What linear spring rates did you use with the PSS10 dampers? I've got an ongoing email chain with Swift right now. It seems you have experimented with this so I'm looking for your thoughts before I pull the trigger. I don't want to add so much spring that the dampers become ineffective.
I used stock PSS springs with them, forget if I used linear springs with those

I'd hit up Harold at HP
      10-21-2019, 02:52 AM   #219
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Haven't updated in a while but finally made it to Thunderhilll West (2mi) on Saturday for my first 2019 trackday with more than 3 laps completed.

Haven't had this much fun in a very long time, wasn't even timing until the later sessions. This tiny 2mi track has ~10 turns and made me realize how bad I need to install the M3 steering rack though...

The car ran 5 full 20 minute sessions without skipping a beat. The car ran a low 1:25 (2nd time at this track) ____ for reference, there were some good Nasa drivers in fully race prepped E46 M3s that were fully gutted / legit aero / multi-way shocks which were in the 1:23 range ... That made me feel better 😆

Looks like these mods combined are sufficient for heat management with our N54s on track!
- 18 row tranny cooler (depending on trans)
- dual 25 row oil coolers
- Distilled water / water wetter
- Additional airflow to coolers / hood vent

Hoping to get to Laguna Seca this week for my birthday. This weekend demmmmm remind
      10-21-2019, 02:57 AM   #220
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Few crappy pics from the event. I'll post up in-car video soon since I know that Thunderhilll West 2mi isn't the most popular track.