BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #23
Samuel Wikerson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport

Leaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberryq10android View Post
I don't know if anyone is really sure if it is or isn't better since it is "newer", that is just speculation that bmw spent time to upgrade materials for an older car part.

Being speculative, I would think you are right that they upgraded the material due to complaints and it failing for so many people.

However, with that said, looking at the oem versus the synthetic version, the synthetic looks of much higher grade material that should last longer. I am sure if someone felt both of them side by side, they would side with the synthetic aftermarket ofhg.
I think the OFHG and Oil Cooler gaskets leaks because they don't have enough area exposed to the surfaces. A wider gasket would solve the problem, but that would require a redesign of the parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #24
Georj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible Manual

Original BMW or Newer Elring OFHG

I need to replace the Oil Filter Housing Gasket. FCPEuro has this special note on the Elring gasket.

"This gasket is an updated design made out of FPM-PX (Fluorine rubber). This material is particularly heat-resistant and resistant to oil making it ideal for an oil filter housing gasket. This updated gasket replaces the originally equipped HNBR (Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber) gaskets which are known to harden over time and cause oil leaks. This updated gasket and material change will degrade slower and has an increased useable service life."

It is for $11 vs BMW original for $32. Price is not the issue, has anyone used the Elring. I would appreciate your personal experience or actual knowledge about the two.
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0