BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
kutch
Private
Rep
Drives:

Diesels for sure in US!

After I saw the specs on the 1 series diesels, I wrote BMWNA and told them to bring 'um on.
I got this response below...

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding the latest BMW models. We
appreciate your interest and enthusiasm for our vehicles.

BMW is currently preparing for the launch of diesel vehicles in the United States for
2008. I have attached a copy of the BMW Group press release that contains the preliminary
details of our plan. I suggest staying in touch with us through our website,
www.bmwusa.com, for product updates and releases.

If you have any further comments or questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact
the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday
from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting
BMW.

Sincerely,

xxxxx
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

--------==============-------------
So if anyone wants a copy of the Nov 28 06 press release OR a
PDF of 1series catalog and datasheet, feel free to email me.

Kutch
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Nice. Looks like they are carrying there plans out to a T.
      07-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Do they say in the press release what models and engines they are planning to release? Does it mention the 123d?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Wait, what makes you think a 1er coupe diesel is coming stateside???
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #5
kindtree
Private
Rep
Drives:

They stated that they will be bringing diesels stateside, but they didn't mention what models?

I would actually consider a 123d, depending on pricing vs. the 135i....
      07-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindtree View Post
They stated that they will be bringing diesels stateside, but they didn't mention what models?

I would actually consider a 123d, depending on pricing vs. the 135i....

BMW Centers were just recently told by BMW NA that the X5 & the 3-Series will see the diesel engine first. Center Client Advisors and Management that attended the meeting(s) also got to drive the 535d and I have heard they were very impressed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

I heard X5 and 3/5 series get it first.. X6 will be probably released in USA with Diesel also in 2009-2010..
I really hope 123d comes to USA, it would be such a fun little commuter..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

i hate the way deisel engines sound
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDriver View Post
BMW Centers were just recently told by BMW NA that the X5 & the 3-Series will see the diesel engine first.
That makes perfect sense, the X5 could use a more environmentally friendly image and the 3er is BMW's bread and butter for this market.

Quote:
Center Client Advisors and Management that attended the meeting(s) also got to drive the 535d and I have heard they were very impressed.
TCC got to drive that car against the A6 3.0TDI and said it was the better car by a wide margin, obviously. :biggrin: I have to wonder if we're just getting the 535d and no 530d? If we're fortunate it will be both. As for a 1er coupe diesel? Again, I think that's probably going to be a little while, unless BMW sells a lot of diesels right after launch and they feel that such a car will be profitable here.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice13water View Post
I'm not fond of the sound either, but I understand that the BMW diesels (particularly the twin turbo versions) don't sound like typical diesels.

Does anyone have a link to a sound clip of a BMW diesel?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post

Does anyone have a link to a sound clip of a BMW diesel?

Youtube it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
kindtree
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice13water View Post
I heard some pretty sweet sounding tuned diesels last time I was in Europe.
      07-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

anybody have a dyno of either of the bmw diesel engines that could be in teh 1 series? i wonder if that hefty steel is gonna throw off the weight distribution, probably a lot more obvious in the lighter 1er

535 sounds pretty good if you ask me!

wonder about idle though..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #14
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
anybody have a dyno of either of the bmw diesel engines that could be in teh 1 series? i wonder if that hefty steel is gonna throw off the weight distribution, probably a lot more obvious in the lighter 1er

535 sounds pretty good if you ask me!

wonder about idle though..

The 123d actually has an all aluminum 4-cyl engine, it isn't steel.

It's all new for the 123d from what I understand, so there is nothing in BMW's current line to compare it to. It may very well end up being around the same weight or even lighter than the 6-cyl in the 135i. We'll have to wait on the weight until the numbers are published. If there are any weight shifts, I'm sure BMW will do something like moving the battery around to adjust the weight distribution. The battery in my 318i was in the engine compartment, my 325i was in the trunk, and my 91 535i was under the seat. Considering how strong their european diesel sales are, I doubt they will mess up the 123d's weight distribution.

From the Brit's press release:

"The 204hp four-cylinder engine in the BMW 123d Coupé sets a benchmark for small diesels. Its 1,995cc powerplant is the world’s first all aluminium diesel to have an output per litre figure in excess of 100hp – something only BMW M cars usually attain. It is also the first four-cylinder production diesel to come with twin-turbo technology. Peak torque is 400Nm from 2,000rpm, while the engine revs to in excess of 4,400rpm where peak power is attained. "

As for noise, the 123d will be much, much quieter than the 135i at idle at stop lights. Way quieter. That's because the engine will shut off as a fuel saving measure. You can't get quieter than that. You will rarely hear a 123d idle unless you select to disable the fuel saving feature. The 535d is actually quieter than the 550i at road speeds according to Top Gear, so noise may not be an issue at all.

Smell is also something that will be different than before now that diesel fuel is low sulfer and the the new engines are bin 2 tier 5 (or something or other) emissions compliant.

Everything people once knew about diesels has changed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #15
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Here's the dyno graph on the 123d engine

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/24/f...-turbo-diesel/

According to the german specs, it looks like the 123d will be lighter than the 135i.

135i:

Leergewicht nach EU1 kg 1560

123d:
Leergewicht nach EU1 kg 1495

So about 145 lbs lighter.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #16
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

look at that torque!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #17
kutch
Private
Rep
Drives:

On the street, where real people live, its all about low and mid torque. Not the high end scream...

I'm telling ya', once you go with a high output diesel thats been very well engineered, YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK TO PETROL...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #18
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
The 123d actually has an all aluminum 4-cyl engine, it isn't steel.

It's all new for the 123d from what I understand, so there is nothing in BMW's current line to compare it to. It may very well end up being around the same weight or even lighter than the 6-cyl in the 135i. We'll have to wait on the weight until the numbers are published. If there are any weight shifts, I'm sure BMW will do something like moving the battery around to adjust the weight distribution. The battery in my 318i was in the engine compartment, my 325i was in the trunk, and my 91 535i was under the seat. Considering how strong their european diesel sales are, I doubt they will mess up the 123d's weight distribution.

From the Brit's press release:

"The 204hp four-cylinder engine in the BMW 123d Coupé sets a benchmark for small diesels. Its 1,995cc powerplant is the world’s first all aluminium diesel to have an output per litre figure in excess of 100hp – something only BMW M cars usually attain. It is also the first four-cylinder production diesel to come with twin-turbo technology. Peak torque is 400Nm from 2,000rpm, while the engine revs to in excess of 4,400rpm where peak power is attained. "

As for noise, the 123d will be much, much quieter than the 135i at idle at stop lights. Way quieter. That's because the engine will shut off as a fuel saving measure. You can't get quieter than that. You will rarely hear a 123d idle unless you select to disable the fuel saving feature. The 535d is actually quieter than the 550i at road speeds according to Top Gear, so noise may not be an issue at all.

Smell is also something that will be different than before now that diesel fuel is low sulfer and the the new engines are bin 2 tier 5 (or something or other) emissions compliant.

Everything people once knew about diesels has changed.

yeah that fear was based on that same top gear 535d review, which apparently ended up getting a bit more nose heavy than the petrol, good news about the aluminum though.

its not really the volume of noise i am concerned with (although it was at idle, good point about the engine shut off feature, is that standard on all the diesels? just diesels?) its more the quality of the noise. i tried to get a feel for the BMW diesel exhaust note from that same review but it was hard to tell, i think theyre basically working to just make it as quiet as possible. which is good, but everybody enjoys a nice growl out of a good performing engine under an open throttle.

i dont think a diesel experience at a track will ever really compare to a petrol, simply from the WOT redline pleasure, even if track times are better. but im with kutch as far as low end torque and the totally different scenario of daily driving experience. hopefully the 123d will be significantly cheaper than the 135 though cause thats a hard automobile to turn down, and all that torque!

crazy how much bmw is jumping on the turbo bandwagon after years of highrevving N/A action
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #19
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Aesthetect, I hear what you are saying about the sound quality and the exhaust note. I'm anxious to hear that too. We can only hope for the best at this point, since it is a new engine.

The thing that killed me about the Top Gear segment is that they ran the 3 liter 6-cyl 535d diesel engine against the 4.5 liter V8 gas engine! They didn't run it against a 6 cyl gas engine.

If I were to ever track a BMW, I think I would want the 135i too. But I've never been on a track.

I think the shutdown at idle is only on the diesels. I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
kutch
Private
Rep
Drives:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...iesel_win.html
http://www.terrapass.com/blog/posts/...rceptions.html
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...world_cha.html
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/06...ank-of-diesel/

Track a diesel...I think you could...
Appreciate 0