BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Should I switch from a wax or sealant, to a coating?

Coatings have been becoming extremely popular the past couple of years. Detailers and weekend warriors have been switching over from waxes and sealants to see what all the buzz is about. Two of the biggest issues we hear from our customers before they make the switch however is, price and the ease of use. Coatings will continue to grow and evolve with time, but 22ple recently released the VX3 that really takes price and ease of use into mind.

22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating allows you to see exactly what coatings have to offer, all at a great price point. Where VX3 really shines however is in ease of use. I could explain exactly how easy this coating actually is to apply, but we just had two great articles that were released by Ivan Rajic of LUSTR Auto Detail and Zach McGovern of Attention to Detailing that explain it better than I ever could. Take a look at two amazing photos from these articles below and do not hesitate to click the link on each to read the full articles on our Ask-A-Pro Blog.

• In our second article, Zach shares his take on the VX3 and includes some fantastic pictures in the process.

We hope that you find these articles as helpful as we did and you give coatings a shot, we know we are happy we have! If you do have any questions on coatings, or any other products please do not hesitate to contact us as well.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

how easy is it to remove? since it is a strong coating, will it require compounding it for removal? (sorry, i did not read the linked articles.)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

What maintenance is involved with this? Will using a wax or sealant on top periodically be of benefit?
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #4
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
how easy is it to remove? since it is a strong coating, will it require compounding it for removal? (sorry, i did not read the linked articles.)
The coatings do require an abrasive to completely remove. Compounding/polishing is the way to accomplish this.

If you simply wish to add a new layer of coating every couple of years, the process would be to thoroughly wash and decontaminate the paint, do any necessary polishing to remove defects that have been introduced, wipe with alcohol, then recoat.

Let me know if that answers your questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
What maintenance is involved with this? Will using a wax or sealant on top periodically be of benefit?
Maintenance is a breeze... as with any vehicle, routine washing using proper washing & drying methods is absolutely critical. Wash the car at least 2 times per month.

The vehicle may require light claying once a year or so depending on your environment. (I just use Iron X once a year and that takes care of the light contamination on my cars)

If you wish to apply additional protection on top of the coating, I would recommend a true coating topper instead of a basic wax or sealant. My personal favorite coating topper is 22ple VS1 Final Coat. This silica based spray sealant offers many of the same properties of a coating, such as excellent hydrophobic characteristics, resistance to dirt and grime, and gloss, however it only lasts a few months at a time. It is very easy to use, so you can use it as frequently as you'd like since it takes no time at all to apply... this is an optional step though as the coating does not need added protection.

Let me know if you've got anymore questions.

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

How is a coating when it comes to hard water spotting?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
How is a coating when it comes to hard water spotting?
Coatings are still very susceptible to hard water spotting.

To understand this... it helps to know more about water spots...

Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
When hard water is left to dry on the paint, the water evaporates and mineral deposits remain on the surface of the vehicle. These mineral deposits, or water spots, are very stubborn and will really bond to the paint which can make them difficult to remove.

If the water spots are left on the paint for too long, they may start to etch into the clear coat. Once this etching has started, the damage has now become a below surface defect within the clear coat rather than a bonded contaminate on top of the clear coat and will therefore need to be dealt with differently. In severe instances, these etchings can become so deep that they may require repainting to completely repair.

So, much like clear coat, a coating can still obviously have mineral deposits left on top of it from the hard water. If left untreated, these minerals can begin to etch through the coating and will eventually penetrate the coating and begin to etch the clear coat.

Most paint protection products (waxes, sealants, and coatings) will produce a surface with high surface tension. This leads to a hydrophobic effect that produces water beading rather than a large flat sheet of water. Unfortunately it is this hydrophobic effect that leads to the water spotting issue as beads left to dry can turn into water spots.

Hope that answers your question, please let me know if I can do anything else for you!

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 11:34 PM   #7
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
What's your opinion on C-Quartz?

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
What's your opinion on C-Quartz?
CarPro makes some great coatings. Both CQuartz and CQuartz UK provide great protection at an affordable price. Each of them are pretty easy to work with - use UK if you are in an area with cooler temperatures and CQuartz Classic if you are in an area where it is warmer.

Here are some articles featuring these products...
Product Review and Application: CarPro Cquartz Protective Coating by Ivan Rajic
Product Review: CarPro Cquartz UK Edition by Zach McGovern
CarPro Cquartz UK Edition: Application Process by Zach McGovern
BMW 328i: Single Stage Correction + Cquartz UK Ceramic Coating by James Melfi
2015 Corvette Z06: Paint Correction, Clear Bra & Cquartz UK Edition Coating Application by James Melfi

**Remember to take advantage of the 20% off coating sale that is currently going on!**

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Zach McGovern
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
My car is black and of course it has light swirl marks and needs correction. The paint is smooth and glossy just hasn't had attention in a while(I just bought it). I was thinking of going with meguiars m83 da. That should do the trick no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
CarPro makes some great coatings. Both CQuartz and CQuartz UK provide great protection at an affordable price. Each of them are pretty easy to work with - use UK if you are in an area with cooler temperatures and CQuartz Classic if you are in an area where it is warmer.

Here are some articles featuring these products...
Product Review and Application: CarPro Cquartz Protective Coating by Ivan Rajic
Product Review: CarPro Cquartz UK Edition by Zach McGovern
CarPro Cquartz UK Edition: Application Process by Zach McGovern
BMW 328i: Single Stage Correction + Cquartz UK Ceramic Coating by James Melfi
2015 Corvette Z06: Paint Correction, Clear Bra & Cquartz UK Edition Coating Application by James Melfi

**Remember to take advantage of the 20% off coating sale that is currently going on!**

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Zach McGovern
www.DetailPeoria.com

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #10
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

I would use a newer product like Meguiar's M205 to machine polish light swirls. We've had great success with Meguiar's M205 on bmw jet black paint.

Zach McGovern
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Oh ok I saw that one too. I might just give it a shot, so I was thinking m205 then showcar glaze and Cquartz sealant. Sound good? Done with a porter cable of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
I would use a newer product like Meguiar's M205 to machine polish light swirls. We've had great success with Meguiar's M205 on bmw jet black paint.

Zach McGovern
www.DetailPeoria.com

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #12
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
Oh ok I saw that one too. I might just give it a shot, so I was thinking m205 then showcar glaze and Cquartz sealant. Sound good? Done with a porter cable of course.
No, you cannot use a glaze prior to applying a nano coating.

As described in the articles I linked previously, the paint must be completely free of any residual waxes, sealants, or oils of any kind before applying cquartz or any other nano coating. The only product you may use directly before applying the product would be CarPro Essence as it is made to work as a primer polish when used correctly.

Otherwise you would need to machine polish the entire car and then carefully wipe the entire vehicle down with CarPro Eraser Intensive Polish & Oil Remover, then begin applying the coating.

The process goes as follows:
- Clean Wheels & tires
- Wash Paint
- Decontaminate Paint using detailing clay
- Paint Correction - compound (only if needed) and machine polish
- Solvent Wipe (use CarPro Eraser to ensure residual polishing oils are removed)
- Apply nano coating as instructed
- Tend to misc. details (dress tires, clean glass, polish exhaust, etc)

This process will take at least one day to complete properly, so make sure you give yourself enough time and do not rush through the process. It is one of those things were you want to do it once, and you want to do it right.

**the vehicle must remain indoors out of the elements for at least 12 hours after application, 24 hours is preferred. Park the car in the sun after application if possible to help accelerate curing**

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Zach McGovern
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 0