BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
Ayrton91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 3.5d

Guys, been disconnected from this forum since I posted the question, but glad to see all this feedback. My conclusions based on your input:

- The Ventus Evo is great for what I have been using it: alternating between DD and having fun at the track on a lower powered car than a 1M, without breaking the bank (for the focus it's $100 per tire...)
- Since the purpose of having a track set of wheels is not trashing my OEM tires it makes sense to be willing to spend a bit more and get something that trully suits the track. Based on the input it seems it is between the new Dunlops (ZII) and the RS3s, but it might be worth considering the PSS, and since pricing is close for all these, that variable would be out of the equation (durability would still remain though)
- Rain can be a factor down in South FL (last year there was rain in half of the events I did), so that takes some points off the RS3s, still if it's raining I can always revert back to my OEM setup.
- There doesn't seem to be much fact based info yet on the Dunlops, mainly the assumption it is as good or better than the Z1s. I have seen some commenting that Dunlop might lose some of their grip at high temps, which would be an issue down here.
- PSS is a street tire with reasonable track performance. As it is more street suited, would probably be better in terms of durability

Based on all this I am between the Dunlops and the RS3s. Tempted to try the RS3 first and give the Dunlop a chance on my next set. On the OEM side will move to PSS once my current OEM set is done.

Will keep you posted and thanks for the great feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #24
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Yes, pss cannot compare to true extreme performance tires on the track.

Re11, ad08, rs3 are superior.

If you get track tires, don't settle for anything less than extreme summers. I run re11 on the street and track (only one day so far) and love them.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #25
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

If rain is a concern I would go with the Dunlop Z2, they will be just as good if not better than the z1. The RS3 is on an entirely different level than the V12 as a *track* tire. If these wheels/tires will be for track days then no question you should go with the RS3, or some other extreme performance tire. The V12 will not even compare as far as grip is concerned. All tires on the track will take a beating. The V12 will wear less on the street, but I really don't know if they will wear that much better than the RS3 in a track only scenario.

If cost is a concern I would take a look at the Federal 595RSR. Limited info on these, but they are in the extreme performance category and the price undercuts the competition. From what little I was able to read about them, they are not quite on the same level as the RS3/Z1,Z2/other extreme performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #26
z28pwr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i TT

V12's are nice for a car that isn't going to be driven hard, if you try to track the car with the V12's be ready for 1/4" chunks to peel off of them. If you want a good tire for both track and street go with the RE-11.

I put some V12 on my G35 and went back to discount tire 2 days later and got the OEM RE050's (non RFT) which are much better. Discount tire rocks, they took them back without any hassle.
Appreciate 0