BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Question Plastic Scuff on Exterior of Mirror... HELP!

There is a small, VERY shallow scuff on the outside (black plastic cover) of my driver's side mirror. It looks like maybe someone clipped it as they were walking past or something, but again, it's only about half an inch long, and very shallow (just a little bit of white scuff showing).

Is there anything that I can do to fix this other than outright replacing the mirror (which would be ridiculous)? I've tried Megs ScratchX and PlastX with little luck. I'm very good at buffing small paint scratches, but I know nothing about buffing black plastic. Thoughts?

Thanks!
      09-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ForAllFor1 View Post
There is a small, VERY shallow scuff on the outside (black plastic cover) of my driver's side mirror. It looks like maybe someone clipped it as they were walking past or something, but again, it's only about half an inch long, and very shallow (just a little bit of white scuff showing).

Is there anything that I can do to fix this other than outright replacing the mirror (which would be ridiculous)? I've tried Megs ScratchX and PlastX with little luck. I'm very good at buffing small paint scratches, but I know nothing about buffing black plastic. Thoughts?

Thanks!
I have this same blemish on one of my mirrors, plus chips in the plastic bumper from flying rocks or something. Its gouged through to the black plasic. The only thing that would fix this is some touch up paint, I feel.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ForAllFor1 View Post

Thanks!
Buffing the paint on plastic isn't much different than buffing paint on a fender. Just take it slow, and use as light a polish as possible to start and go stronger from there.

The good thing about black is that it's fairly easy to touch up. If you don't have any luck with the buffer try Dr. Colorchip.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

OK, so should I keep working using ScratchX or PlastX? The scuff is on a rounded edge of the mirror, so it's a bit tricky to begin with. Also, how would I know if the scratch is deep enough that my efforts will be fruitless and I should just give it a rest? I don't want to waste hours on this if it's hopeless. It really doesn't seem very deep, but again, there is a bit of white showing through. Thanks again to all.
      09-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Post a pic, that will make it easier to give you advice.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

No digi camera, otherwise I'd be all over it. Sorry.
      09-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
phone cam?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

I'll post some pictures after I get home in a couple hours.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

buff it and see.