BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
camster209
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i vert m sport

HELP: Single turbo vs twins

I am stuck my stock turbos went out and I am in the process of taking the car apart, I need help figuring out what's better for me plus more reliable as well as good for the car. I am in the middle of looking at MMP stage 3 turbos and a doc race single turbo kit I just don't know if it's worth the extra money to buy a single keep in mind I daily my car I have a budget because I got this car for dirty cheap all because a bad clutch which I did myself.
      03-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

What is your goal for the car?
work that backwards.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
camster209
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
What is your goal for the car?
work that backwards.
My goals for the car is to daily drive it every day, push it on the backroads which I am frequent at doing pushing it to the limit, also take it to the track every now and then. I'm also put off by the idea of the twins going out again with a watergate rattle and having to drop the subframe etc.
      03-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Buy the stock replacements Rob Beck has then.
If it's not a nutswinging, dick wagging, dyno queen ... stock will do you just fine.

Seems Rob is out of them, https://www.rbturbo.com/rb-n54-oem-t...-chra-rebuilds
send an email and see if he expects more.

IIRC it was something like $650 for the pair.

Stocks will do 500whp. There is no need for any more than that anywhere but the drag strip.

*edit
Tony has some options also, http://performance.vargasturbo.com/e...&product_id=76
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

As someone who just installed new aftermarket twins the size of RB NextGens, I couldn't agree more with iminhell1.

I couldn't bare to do that much work on the car and be left with the same bloody cars as I started, so I don't regret going big twins, but I will say they're practically useless on the street.

I've picked up _a lot_ of power above 4,000 rpm, once the turbos are spinning - but because of the slower spool up, I've got less instant power, and less power in 2nd gear overall (simply because I don't hit 19psi until about 4500rpm+)

On the positive side, it's made the car far more manageable (I could never properly handle it's twitchyness on stock twins), and undeniably more powerful ... but it came at a cost. Now, I doubt you'd have the same experience - these are bigger than most (stage 2) aftermarket twins - but even if you get those slightly improved turbos with stock spool up and better top-end, it's all power you don't ever use in practice on the street. Even with sticky tires and a LSD, my limit was the back tires, not the engine.

Aftermarket twins are far more likely to leak oil, smoke, and require replacement. If you want a reliable daily driver, you just want to replace those OEM turbos with new OEM turbos.

The single turbo is going to be much easier to work on after you've done the conversion, and it gets you heaps of street cred... but I expect there are just as many drawbacks that you don't hear about from the single turbo crowd.

.... if this is just another step toward your mission to run full e85 with aftermarket petrol injection etc - well, that's a totally different story.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
camster209
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
As someone who just installed new aftermarket twins the size of RB NextGens, I couldn't agree more with iminhell1.

I couldn't bare to do that much work on the car and be left with the same bloody cars as I started, so I don't regret going big twins, but I will say they're practically useless on the street.

I've picked up _a lot_ of power above 4,000 rpm, once the turbos are spinning - but because of the slower spool up, I've got less instant power, and less power in 2nd gear overall (simply because I don't hit 19psi until about 4500rpm+)

On the positive side, it's made the car far more manageable (I could never properly handle it's twitchyness on stock twins), and undeniably more powerful ... but it came at a cost. Now, I doubt you'd have the same experience - these are bigger than most (stage 2) aftermarket twins - but even if you get those slightly improved turbos with stock spool up and better top-end, it's all power you don't ever use in practice on the street. Even with sticky tires and a LSD, my limit was the back tires, not the engine.

Aftermarket twins are far more likely to leak oil, smoke, and require replacement. If you want a reliable daily driver, you just want to replace those OEM turbos with new OEM turbos.

The single turbo is going to be much easier to work on after you've done the conversion, and it gets you heaps of street cred... but I expect there are just as many drawbacks that you don't hear about from the single turbo crowd.

.... if this is just another step toward your mission to run full e85 with aftermarket petrol injection etc - well, that's a totally different story.
See if I'm doing stock turbos I don't want to worry about that waste gate rattle when pushing up the boost I want a reliable turbo with some hp gains from the stock turbos , those mmps would leak oil you think even if the quality is high for the product? I can't really find any bad things on them everywhere I look, so now I want bigger hp gains so upgrade from the stock turbos but just to be reliable I will most likely not try to surpass 550 hp i plan on running meth and e85 from time to time.
      03-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #7
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Amount of boost has nothing to do with wastegate rattle.

Tony is actually right in your area. Go talk with them --> http://performance.vargasturbo.com/contact2/
Appreciate 0