BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
cj350s
Major Dad
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Paddle Shift Conversion? - 2011 128i Non-Sport

I have a 2011 non-Sport 128i with Steptronic, and considering adding paddle shifters for the reasons explained below.

The paddles/transmission on my wife’s MINI Cooper S provide much greater control, especially for upshifting, than does the 128 in manual mode. It’s as if the non-paddle/Sport 128 is programmed to upshift within certain parameters, and although does allow some manual override it still seems determined to follow it’s own programming, often upshifting to the next higher gear almost immediately after a manual upshift, which is not only very annoying but effectively defeats the purpose of “manual mode”.

I’m interested in adding paddle shifters for better shift control, however I’ve been advised by a BMW technician the Steptronic transmission in a 2011 128i non-Sport (w/o paddles) is a completely different transmission than the Sport (w/paddles), and the conversion would gain nothing other than controlling manual gear changes with paddles rather than the trans lever. In other words the transmission characteristics would remain unchanged after a very expensive paddle conversion.

I would appreciate comments from persons with technical expertise in this area.

Yes, I know I should have bought a 128i with manual transmission (and the Sport Pkg.) so no need to remind me of those oversights please.

And yes, I appreciate how expensive it would be for a paddle conversion (and a Performance Suspension upgrade), and the obvious solution would be to simply trade my 2011 for a 2012 manual shift M-Sport, but I suspect the conversion costs are considerably less than $11,000 which is cheaper than moving up one model year here in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

The transmission behavior in a sport package-equipped 128i auto isn't any different than the non-sport variant. You'd be gaining expensive paddle shifters only. I've never experienced an auto upshift in Steptronic mode. Maybe at redline, but I can't recall exactly since bouncing off the redline isn't my thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

I have hit the redline in my sport 128 in manual mode several times. The car will not upshift unless you leave it in redline for a considerable amount of time. Also there is a mode where in "D" and you actuate the paddle shifters the car will down or up shift as you tap, but if you don't shift after a few moments the car will go back into normal "D" automatically.
      05-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
cj350s
Major Dad
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the comments thus far.

I'm not too concerned about redline operation as I seldom drive the car in that range. Since converting to a manual transmission is not a viable option, I'm trying to confirm whether adding paddles (and possibly ECM reprogramming?) will provide greater shift control and improve the driving "fun factor", more in line with the characteristics of the MINI Cooper S.

Meanwhile I'll try to find a 128i with factory paddles to test drive. I'd also still like to confirm whether there are any design/engineering differences between a Sport/non-Sport Steptronic.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Eeighty8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E88

I've had the paddles in a R56 MINI and the 128i sport I have now. They function the same between the two cars. Oddly enough, I almost never use them, and prefer using the shift knob instead, since the downshift paddle is sometimes tricky to find while the steering wheel is turning. I'll use them if I'm doing a high speed, straight line run though.

You do lose the quick blip if you want to downshift briefly while in D, as someone mentioned above, if you don't have the paddles.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Eeighty8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E88

And by the way, I've had the car shift to 3rd by itself on the 1-2 shift in manual mode. It's annoying and always happens when I would consider the shift to 2nd 'perfect'. It's not redlining either when this happens. So adding paddles won't fix that I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

weird, mine shifts at redline automatically, but in first gear it shifts earlier then normal
      05-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
First of all, there is no sport/non sport transmission (unless we are talking about the dual clutch one which, to my knowledge, is only available for the 135i). The transmission should be the same with or without the sport package and paddles.

One reason why it shifts early could be that you are not pressing the throttle hard enough. If you floor it rapidly and hold it there it should go close to redline, but probably only on 2nd and 3rd.

One other solution is getting an ECU flash with the RPM governor moved up a couple hundred RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
cj350s
Major Dad
Canada
Rep

Yes I'm quite sure the dual clutch is only available on the 135i. I'm beginning to think I was misinformed (or perhaps I misunderstood) with regard to there being two different Steptronic transmissions (Sport/non-Sport).

You have a good point regarding throttle pressure, however there have been occasions where heavier (but not full) throttle pressure resulted in the same "double upshift" when a manual upshift is made 1-2 seconds prior to an automated upshift. Full throttle has always worked fine.

No doubt I need to drive the car more aggressively on a regular basis in order to alter the ECU "learn" function, but that's just not my style. However I'll look into your suggestion regarding the ECU programming.

Returning to a manual transmission is looking better every day!

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
cj350s
Major Dad
Canada
Rep

Arxangel, the more I thought about your comment, I decided to try a short road test this afternoon, and confirmed more aggressive throttle pressure does make a definite improvement in transmission control when in manual mode.

I still prefer the greater control available with the MINI S transmission, but now thanks to your suggestion I can work on improving the manual operation of mine.

I need to drive a bit more like I did back when Mobil Premium fuel was selling for $0.085/liter.

Update 01Jul2011:

I've since been advised by BMW there are in fact two Steptonic transmissions used in the 128i, depending on whether the vehicle is equipped with the Sport package (with paddles) or a non-Sport (no paddles). There appears to be no significant advantage to adding paddles to a non-Sport 128i.

I may start a new thread asking for advice re: swapping transmissions (Steptronic for manual) in a 128i.

Last edited by cj350s; 07-01-2011 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Update thread.
Appreciate 0