BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i all stock

Will an aFe CAI throw any codes?

Hey everyone, I am very close to buying an aFe intake for my 128i (2008). My question is, will/does it throw any error codes and assuming it does temporarily, this won't void a warranty at all will it? (unless its proven that it actually damaged something I take it, which would probably be hard to prove).

Does the aFe give any drone like how the injen does? I've never heard the drone but would the active autowerke intake be that much better over the aFe?

Thanks.

Also, I saw it on autanything.com and with a coupon the aFe one would be $267.71 + shipping (thats using coupon code: loyalty, which is 15% off $150+)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlynameleft View Post
Hey everyone, I am very close to buying an aFe intake for my 128i (2008). My question is, will/does it throw any error codes and assuming it does temporarily, this won't void a warranty at all will it? (unless its proven that it actually damaged something I take it, which would probably be hard to prove).

Does the aFe give any drone like how the injen does? I've never heard the drone but would the active autowerke intake be that much better over the aFe?

Thanks.

Also, I saw it on autanything.com and with a coupon the aFe one would be $267.71 + shipping (thats using coupon code: loyalty, which is 15% off $150+)

nope, shouldn't throw any codes. However, be sure to be installing it properly. I'm not sure if this applies to the 1 series, but I know on the 3 series if the cone is not placed correctly, it will not function correctly.

Goodluck : )! most of us use injen, but afe is also a good brand and well respected. You should have no problems.

Now as for warranty, I am a bit iffy on this. It depends more on your dealership. Mine doesn't care at all for mods unless it causes the problem directly.
      06-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I have an AFE on my 335i and it's been there since 2 months after I bought the car. Never had any grief from the dealer about it, and there's no way it can "throw a code" unless it gets plugged up and causes the engine to run rough or stop. "Droning" is associated with exhaust resonance, not intake. I also had AFE intake on my '03 330iZHP with no issues from the dealer.

The AFE intake on a 128 is basically just a cone filter to replace the flat filter/airbox. It's either oiled cotton or a "dry" filter element; the oiled cotton filter can be washed and reused. It also will have a noticeable intake sound, but only at higher throttle openings, and while it's louder than the stock airbox, it's by no means intrusive.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Just make sure you buy the correct kit. There is a kit that is for owners with the active steering option and a kit without. As far as warranty is concerned, there is a law in the U.S that unless the aftermarket part is the absolute cause of a malfunction, they can't void your warranty. Of coarse the dealership may give shit about it, but just make sure you know all the facts and you will be fine.
      06-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1524 View Post
Just make sure you buy the correct kit. There is a kit that is for owners with the active steering option and a kit without. As far as warranty is concerned, there is a law in the U.S that unless the aftermarket part is the absolute cause of a malfunction, they can't void your warranty. Of coarse the dealership may give shit about it, but just make sure you know all the facts and you will be fine.
You're speaking of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. I know of this because of an issue I had with a spun bearing in a VW Turbo Beetle. While this law is legitimate, it's only good when going to court. I went to arbitration after the dealer refused warranty, and the first thing the area rep told the arbitrator was "just so you know, the complainant has to prove that the aftermarket part wasn't responsible for the engine failure, not the other way around". I should have called "bullshit" right then, but went ahead because it'd been so long and I needed to get it done. The area rep and the dealer service manager proceeded to lie like the thieves they were, convincing the arbitrator (a woman with absolutely no knowledge of automobiles or engines) that there was a "very good possibility" that the aftermarket part caused the failure, which was completely untrue, as I would have had 4 spun bearings; the other 3 were in almost-new condition. I say this because despite the presence of the aforementioned law, it only is good in court, and if the warrantor poisons the judge or jury with an outright lie about who has to prove what, you'll likely lose.

That said, unless your dealer is a real dick, they will never bother you about an intake, unless your failure involves your engine ingesting some sort of foreign material - which they have to prove was caused by a faulty air filter.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
You're speaking of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. I know of this because of an issue I had with a spun bearing in a VW Turbo Beetle. While this law is legitimate, it's only good when going to court. I went to arbitration after the dealer refused warranty, and the first thing the area rep told the arbitrator was "just so you know, the complainant has to prove that the aftermarket part wasn't responsible for the engine failure, not the other way around". I should have called "bullshit" right then, but went ahead because it'd been so long and I needed to get it done. The area rep and the dealer service manager proceeded to lie like the thieves they were, convincing the arbitrator (a woman with absolutely no knowledge of automobiles or engines) that there was a "very good possibility" that the aftermarket part caused the failure, which was completely untrue, as I would have had 4 spun bearings; the other 3 were in almost-new condition. I say this because despite the presence of the aforementioned law, it only is good in court, and if the warrantor poisons the judge or jury with an outright lie about who has to prove what, you'll likely lose.

That said, unless your dealer is a real dick, they will never bother you about an intake, unless your failure involves your engine ingesting some sort of foreign material - which they have to prove was caused by a faulty air filter.
Sucks you went through this and that particular dealer would treat you like that. I personally can't wait (if it ever happens) when someone tries to screw me over from a dealership. My dad and older sister are both lawyers and have won many big business case's around the Atlanta area.
      06-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
My problem was that I wasn't able to find a lawyer who would take the case here in Austin, and I was getting ready to move to Houston, so I dropped it. But I will never, ever deal with VW/Audi again, and I tell everyone I know not to buy one of their products because of their complete absence of customer service and any sense of integrity.

Appreciate 0