BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Alignment weight Help!

ok so I had called my local black stone tires and Firestone tires and I'm a bit upset. Both of them said they couldn't do my alignment because they need weights to adjust my camber???? Excuse my ignorance but what do they mean by that? The only thing they said was they could adjust was toe. I'm trying to avoid a ride to the stealership. I just installed kW v1 and volshag camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
CrimsonXV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i 6mt, 325Ci 5mt, 87' K100

In BMW's alignment procedure they add weight to the interior of the vehicle (I forget how much exactly now but its something like 65 kg in each front seat 40 in the rear and 20 in the trunk) in order to compress suspension to "normal operating height" (even though I never have that much weight in my car) and then their camber specifications are measured from there. So a lot of generic alignment shops won't perform an alignment on BMWs because they can't follow BMW's special "procedure."

Like if they couldn't obtain weights some how... pretty stupid if you ask me.
Appreciate 1