BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #67
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_1 View Post
Well thank you for insulting me. It's interesting you feel obligated to force your opinions on everyone, yet no one else can express theirs. Good day.
Wow man, you cannot be serious. This is a 3 page thread, everyone here gave their opinions. You gave yours, i gave mine. They are on opposite sides, as are many here. That's what a forum is is. Gathering of different opinions. I didn't say you can't have yours, you on the other hand were offended by mine and quick to whine about it. You're the one who cried that mine didn't run parallel with yours and how dare I. Seems many of you 128 guys are real sensitive about their engines but you and fellow 52 guys can spout with all sorts of knocks on about others( N20, N54, N55...) take a gander right in this thread here of all the complaints from you guys about the new engine, which replaces yours. Chock full of ' my n52 is better that that new one'. Happy New Year.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #68
nunka
perpetually salty
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW 6MT 128i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianN54 View Post
Seems many of you 128 guys are real sensitive about their engines but you and fellow 52 guys can spout with all sorts of knocks on about others( N20, N54, N55...) take a gander right in this thread here of all the complaints from you guys about the new engine, which replaces yours. Chock full of ' my n52 is better that that new one'.
Going to ignore the childish argument between you two to make a quick point about this...

Let's put aside the widespread trend of fervently justifying and defending one's investments---which you'll find is the case with almost every make and model. Let's also forget any arguments about which engine has better "performance." This isn't really about that. I've noticed that N52 owners (myself included) are a bit proud to be here at the end of an era, if you will. The naturally aspirated inline-6 is dying. Many enthusiasts don't care. We do. If you'll allow me an odd analogy, we're like critics of e-books: we love the sound, the heft, the smell, and the texture of a nice leather-bound tome or weathered paperback. For us, jamming a hundred books in the same little device eliminates certain aspects that we feel are essential to the best reading experience. See what I mean? It's about the feel, the sound, the reliability. Not 0-60 times. Not ridiculous torque. Not the biggest, boldest turbos. We're more interested in those elusive qualities that newer engines can't seem to capture.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #69
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep

Nunka, you put it pretty well and we are mostly in agreement. With the exception about performance, the OP made it clear in the first post that's one of his queries and it came up a couple more times so it is something he is interested in hearing about. You can't just dismiss that in his thread.

You guys love your cars and I get that. Most of us do and that's why we shelled out good money to take them home, me included. You guys made that perfectly clear in this thread( any many similar ones) how you feel about the new I4T. Just go count the negative adjectives in this one alone. Fine, you like what you like, we all get that and most don't have a problem. The problem arose in this thread because someone cried about an opinion I made on a question, posed by the op looking for opinions and he was quick to make public his displeasure.
You like the 128 for reasons and others might like the N20 or N54/55 for different reasons or would maybe choose the newer engine, maybe not. But ones opinion is his opinion, someone crying that they don't like mine isn't going to make me avoid a thread where someone else is asking for opinions.
I'm sure both of us will enjoy our cars for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:30 AM   #70
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Look I appologize if my post offended you Bavarian54. I made my choice of car based on the many great things I read on this forum. I made my opinion of the n20 based on my personal experiences. I don't like it, you do. I agree with Nunka. We have the last NA BMW I6 produced and we should be proud of it. I don't like it when 135i owners feel the need to prove their car is superior. There are many threads on this forum that do just that. Aside from the sibling rivalry, I believe the 1 series as a whole to be an ethusiests car. We shouldn't quarrel about 0-60 times or HP Numbers. Each car has it's following.
      01-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #71
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep

Thanks Sinister.
For the record, in this thread I wasn't trying to prove anything about the 128/135. It was between the N52/N20.
At car forums( or anywhere for that matter) there is always some debate back and forth, its the nature of man. Just like in sports fans going back and forth, Cowboys are better than Eagles, Yankees are better than Soxs, penguins are better than Blackhawks.....it's just the way it is. We saw plenty of this from 128 jockeys in this thread, run down the list in this thread alone of criticisms by N52 owners blasting the new engine. Don't take this stuff so seriously. Both cars are great in their own right.
Thanks for you service to our Country, it is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #72
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends, why can't weeeee be friendssassss lol
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #73
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends, why can't weeeee be friendssassss lol
Because people have problems reconciling objective measures vs. their personal attachments.
      04-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #74
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Hi all -

Wanted to refresh this thread now that the 228's are out. I'm new to BMW but fell in love with the 1 series when I started researching cars (I've been in NYC sans car for 4 years).

A manual is a must for me - so finding a 2013 128 with my specs has been tricky. I did find one out in CA but the logistics with the dealership sound like a headache. The residual dropped significantly and it's on a dollar residual so the lease is NOT attractive (I've gotten quotes in the high 600s for an invoice of around 35k).

Any guidance on possibly entering a higher lease for a 128 vs a 228? The thing that keeps me focused on the 128 is the straight 6 and the body of the 1 which I really prefer.

Any guidance from those who have driven a manual 228 vs the manual 128?!?

Greatly appreciate any and all responses!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #75
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
Hi all -

Wanted to refresh this thread now that the 228's are out. I'm new to BMW but fell in love with the 1 series when I started researching cars (I've been in NYC sans car for 4 years).

A manual is a must for me - so finding a 2013 128 with my specs has been tricky. I did find one out in CA but the logistics with the dealership sound like a headache. The residual dropped significantly and it's on a dollar residual so the lease is NOT attractive (I've gotten quotes in the high 600s for an invoice of around 35k).

Any guidance on possibly entering a higher lease for a 128 vs a 228? The thing that keeps me focused on the 128 is the straight 6 and the body of the 1 which I really prefer.

Any guidance from those who have driven a manual 228 vs the manual 128?!?

Greatly appreciate any and all responses!!!
I drive a manual 128i and test drove both a 228 and 235 auto...both left me underwhelmed compared to the inline 6 and manual 128. and the looks go to the 1 series for sure. the 228 was WAY quicker than i anticipated and was close to the 235 in feel...but both the 2 series felt disconnected. the 1 has an old school scrappiness to it, the raw feel, the engine, the steering...that the 2 series doesn't have. keep looking! id suggest a used 128i manual...they are bulletproof in terms of drivetrain reliability...im convinced its the best car BMW has ever made
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #76
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I have driven an n52 for thousands of miles in the old e90 and I appreciate it as a great motor but I was also very impressed with the n20. The n20 is very smooth and in sport mode felt very quick.

If NA is mandatory- the discussion ends there - 128i
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #77
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I have driven an n52 for thousands of miles in the old e90 and I appreciate it as a great motor but I was also very impressed with the n20. The n20 is very smooth and in sport mode felt very quick.

major thing i didnt like about N20 was the lack of sound...my N52 inline 6 sounds MEAN with performance exhaust...the N20 is um meh. thats a big deal to me in a car i drive
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #78
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post

major thing i didnt like about N20 was the lack of sound...my N52 inline 6 sounds MEAN with performance exhaust...the N20 is um meh. thats a big deal to me in a car i drive
Your absolutely right there- it is very quiet
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #79
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

thank you guys so much for the responses. based on logistics and lease offers, i'm going to custom order a 228i stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
I drive a manual 128i and test drove both a 228 and 235 auto...both left me underwhelmed compared to the inline 6 and manual 128. and the looks go to the 1 series for sure. the 228 was WAY quicker than i anticipated and was close to the 235 in feel...but both the 2 series felt disconnected. the 1 has an old school scrappiness to it, the raw feel, the engine, the steering...that the 2 series doesn't have. keep looking! id suggest a used 128i manual...they are bulletproof in terms of drivetrain reliability...im convinced its the best car BMW has ever made
Appreciate 0