BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #45
Levente_CSL
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 csl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
More comfortable? roflmao! Have 75k in mine and it is plenty comfortable but really who cares about that! Go buy a Lexus!
i said the M2 is much more comfortable whos talking about lexus? 1er M just feels uncomfortable seats and you feel like your cramped inside. try to compare it, sit in the 1er M then sit in the M2 its like a whole other league how the M2 feels much larger inside the cabin and more comfortable seats
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #46
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL
Quote:
More comfortable? roflmao! Have 75k in mine and it is plenty comfortable but really who cares about that! Go buy a Lexus!
i said the M2 is much more comfortable whos talking about lexus? 1er M just feels uncomfortable seats and you feel like your cramped inside. try to compare it, sit in the 1er M then sit in the M2 its like a whole other league how the M2 feels much larger inside the cabin and more comfortable seats
If comfort is your concern, go buy a lexus!! 1m is not uncomfortable. Tons of leg room, seats are fine and I am tall. Commuting and long distance are fine. Just a weird thing to compare in a small coupe!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #47
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Note: CH said he prefers the 1M over the M2; he did not say the 1M is a better car. Both amazing cars IMHO, having both in the family. Welcome to the 1M Club CH.

Last edited by Benzima; 09-16-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #48
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima
Note: CH said he prefers the 1M over the M2; he did not say the 1M is a better car. Both amazing cars IMHO, having both in the family. Welcome to the 1M club
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #49
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Going from an M4 to a 1M, I really regret all the creature comforts, rev matchings, tech nannies, and power to grip balance... said by no one ever.

Can't say much about the M2 as I have yet to drive it. However, I have no real desire to spend time to go and find one to test drive based on what I know about my M4 (and how it relates to the M2) and the reviews between the two cars.

The M2 seems to be a great performance car and the numbers it puts up will definitely attract a certain type of buyer. However, not once have I driven past someone or came to a stoplight in the 1M and thought "I wish I were faster"... it's hard to understand if you haven't lived with the 1M.
Appreciate 3
c63er876.00
Win42.00
      09-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #50
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL
Quote:

The seats are the exact same seats in both cars ...

The seating position is higher in the M2 and power motors are standard in the US.

The M2 has a more comfortable ride as a commuter car but that's a minor improvement as far as I am concerned. It probably has better cup holders too...
Appreciate 1
ronster16.00
      09-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #51
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL View Post
dont know how he could say he prefers it better then the m2. makes no sense. M2 is better in every way, looks better, thousend times more comfortable, more power. more space in the interior like i mean a ALOT more, in the 1m you feel your cramped inside. he should have gotten an M3 CSL if he wants something special
Lol. Believe it or not people are allowed to have opinions that differ from yours. Clearly CH does.

I love the seats in the 1M, perfect amount of bolstering and easy to get into and out of.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #52
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
I can only relate this to my own experience. When I was a teenager, my father had a Ferrari 308 GTS. It was not the fastest car in the world (at the time was pretty fast though) but the driving experience was overwhelming. The car was loud, fast, hard edged, exotic, but after about 90 minutes of driving it, you were emotionally exhausted and in need of a nap. The experience was amazing but also more involving in a way that today's faster more stable cars are not.

I equate the 1M driving experience vs the M2 in a similar way. Engineering progress will always raise the bar incrementally, but may not necessarily provide the same driving fulfillment versus some prior vehicles. Said another way, some older cars are just more fun to drive, even if they are statisically slower.

As a side note, I'm debating selling my own F80 to get an M2. Though it is very modern, i just seems like it would be more engaging to drive.
Appreciate 4
nachob2307.00
c63er876.00
rich8566608.50
      09-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #53
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
I can only relate this to my own experience. When I was a teenager, my father had a Ferrari 308 GTS. It was not the fastest car in the world (at the time was pretty fast though) but the driving experience was overwhelming. The car was loud, fast, hard edged, exotic, but after about 90 minutes of driving it, you were emotionally exhausted and in need of a nap. The experience was amazing but also more involving in a way that today's faster more stable cars are not.

I equate the 1M driving experience vs the M2 in a similar way. Engineering progress will always raise the bar incrementally, but may not necessarily provide the same driving fulfillment versus some prior vehicles. Said another way, some older cars are just more fun to drive, even if they are statisically slower.

As a side note, I'm debating selling my own F80 to get an M2. Though it is very modern, i just seems like it would be more engaging to drive.
Spot on.

Man, I really want a 308! Beautiful even after all these years. Even though a Toyota Sienna can go faster 0-60 than it, it doesn't take away from the beauty an experience of a car like that. The same goes for the 1M. Even though newer cars are better, it doesn't detract from its special character.

M2 is probably the best "driver's" car BMW makes and I would get one for the exact reason as you said. Not as fast as M3/M4 but probably more enjoyable and it also sounds better IMHO. I think going from F80 to M2 is not as big a jump difference as going from base 1M to the F80 M3 or M2. I have a well known penchant for admiring the base interior of the previous generation cars with manual seats, non-power-folding mirrors, no Active Sound, no rev-matching, no comfort button, no iDrive controller, no laptop display on dash and big easy to ready instruments. That is one of the things I appreciate about the 1M that I would have to give up going to M2 or M3 since they are mandatory now. I hope you get your M2, it's a great car and will be very desirable down the road. Best wishes.
Appreciate 2
mc3456389.50
rich8566608.50
      09-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #54
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 89 M3, 1M, e30 touring

Well done Chris Harris, your taste is impeccable. What is his current stable of cars? From what I remember:

e28 M5
e30 M3 Sport evo
'73 911 (Signal Green)
Citroen 2CV
e39 523i
A few Range Rovers
Audi S4 Avant (the one that smells like dog)
Citroen AX GT
Peugeot 205 Rallye
MB E320 Cab
Ferrari 512TR
e30 325i Rally Car
e30 M3 Rally Car

And now this: (i know... it's not his, it's mine, and it's so proper ///M looking )

09-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #55
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejdavidson
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3
Wow prefers it to the M2. That should add a few more pounds to those 1M prices !! They are great cars

Any proper sports car driver should. The M2 is faster but it is simply less challenging to drive and it's also less visceral because the controls are so soft. Steering is not as good in the M2. The clutch is softer/lighter and the gearbox is also slicker and therefore less tactile feel even when shifting.

While the 1M and M2 are quite similar, one is a " sports car for dummies " ( in that everything is dumbed down and simpler - aka auto rev match or DCT ) and the other is a sports car for drivers ( not racers).

I was under the impression that he had an E90 M3 in signal green ... ? I wonder if he's let it go.
Proud to own a "sports car for dummies."

People crack me up.
Come on man, it's M3Adjuster who says that.
The Donald Trump of Bimmerpost lol.
I came from a 1m and I still love it, but M2 is certainly not a sportscar for dummies if you push it with all systems off. Total BS and he knows it. Or probably not and that's why he is saying that

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 3
      09-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #56
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - LBB, DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejdavidson
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3
Wow prefers it to the M2. That should add a few more pounds to those 1M prices !! They are great cars

Any proper sports car driver should. The M2 is faster but it is simply less challenging to drive and it's also less visceral because the controls are so soft. Steering is not as good in the M2. The clutch is softer/lighter and the gearbox is also slicker and therefore less tactile feel even when shifting.

While the 1M and M2 are quite similar, one is a " sports car for dummies " ( in that everything is dumbed down and simpler - aka auto rev match or DCT ) and the other is a sports car for drivers ( not racers).

I was under the impression that he had an E90 M3 in signal green ... ? I wonder if he's let it go.
Proud to own a "sports car for dummies."

People crack me up.
Come on man, it's M3Adjuster who says that.
The Donald Trump of Bimmerpost lol.
I came from a 1m and I still love it, but M2 is certainly not a sportscar for dummies if you push it with all systems off. Total BS and he knows it. Or probably not and that's why he is saying that

Cheers
Robin
Hahaha yep, that's why I laughed.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #57
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Man I'm still kicking myself I didn't get a 1/M.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #58
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Very very cool!!!
      09-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #59
Benja
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Haha, I nearly bought Harris's old E63 Wagon. Now he's got a 1M identical to mine. The man clearly has impeccable taste in motor vehicles
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #60
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Welcome to the party CH.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #61
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL View Post
he should have gotten an M3 CSL if he wants something special
Oh, like what you have? No bias there . . .
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2016, 02:28 AM   #62
bmwmnation
Private
Rep
Drives: e60 530i and r32 skyline gtr

Wow great video
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #63
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Here is another . . .

Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      09-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #64
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I have never driven an M2 or 1M but since you mentioned "challenging to drive", I want to ask you a question just out of curiosity. Almost all the 1M reviews that I read or the comments from 1M owners claimed that when you drive it at its limits, it's almost like it's trying to kill you. I also read similar reviews about M4 as well due to its difficulty of putting the power down. Maybe M4 reviews didn't say it's trying to kill you but I sure remember the word "challenging to drive". On the other hand, for M2, like you said, most of the reviews mentioned how easy it's to drive. So here's my question as a person who doesn't have much track experience: Why would you want a car to be challenging to drive especially on a track where you are racing against time or other cars? Wouldn't a car that is easier to drive be more desirable? I have nothing against these two cars, just trying to learn more about them

By the way, he had an F80 in signal green but I don't know if he still has it.
Haven't driven a 1M yet, but hope to at some point. But I have driven my F80 on track and I can answer some of these questions.

When you first start up in performance driving, none of these cars will be too much of a challenge because 95% of the drivers will not even scratch the end of the performance envelope let alone cross it. There is a lot of safety margin built into these cars so usually the first few track events are fine.

When you end up being fast on track, again none of this matters much because you learn to adapt to the car, conditions of the day, tires etc. so it is much more like dancing with a partner. A slightly more challenging car can be a very good thing indeed at this point since it forces you to learn new things - but that is only if you can actually go faster in it by learning. If it's just being obstinate to no purpose then you will tire of it.

It's the in-between bit can be tricky though - not enough skill to dance with it, but quick enough that you can get in trouble with it. People handle this transition period in various ways, and at their own pace.

Again once you go beyond being fast, a challenging car can be both a blessing and a curse. If you are trying to slash lap times then maybe a challenging car is not the best bet. Then again if there is a light at the end of that tunnel where you use some of the peculiarities to go quicker then maybe you find its worth putting the effort in.

Personally, I'm quick but not really fast. I could have fun in anything at the track these days, because I'd adapt to the circumstances and work with what's in hand. I'm having a blast with the F80 and don't really think it's very challenging in a bad sort of way. The only ones who say that IMO are people who treat the throttle like an on-off switch, and marvel at the resulting spin.

YMMV. As a general rule, treat these reviews with many grains of salt.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
E30 Racer220.00
      09-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #65
thewubwub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: like a slowpoke

Chris Harris has always owned some interesting cars, and the 1M is no exception!
      09-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #66
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

He probably loves it because it is tail happy. We've all seen CH drift cars at will, so this is a plus for him, wear-as for many others it probably would not be.

Good chance he chose it due to its collect ability. The 1M continues to be desirable because of it's low production numbers, not necessarily because it is such a great car. So far most tests and driving impressions have given the M2 way more praises. As a matter of fact it finished dead last in a 4 way comparison against all 2-seriers models.

Flame suit on.
Appreciate 0