BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2024, 09:28 AM   #1
ShaneDar
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Car has DSC Related Codes and Recently Does not start even after changing Starter

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello,

About a week ago I was using ISTA+ to recalibrate my DSC on my 2011 bmw 135i, after swapping pads as I wanted a shorter pedal feel (as brake bleeding didnt help). I however made a fatal mistake of not having the battery on a maintainer/trickle which caused the procedure to fail halfway through, giving me FRM and DSC related codes, and since I left the door open when I was doing the procedure it wouldn't let me put the car in gear (transmission is a DCT). I was able to get the FRM recoded at a shop and the car was able to start and drive with just no abs, no tc and the tire pressure sensors unable to give me a reading. However after driving the car for a couple days one of the morning the car took a couple of attempts to start it as it seemed to struggle to turn over, however it did start and was able to drive to my destination. Thats when everything went downhill, on my attempt to start it on my way back home the engine wouldn't turn over and would simply have a clicking noise at the starter (in hindsight I do think the starter was weak to begin with since I got the car in december). I got it towed to my home and was able to source a new starter and install it, however the car still just clicks when attempting to start and has more codes than before. Please let me know if you have any advice or have been in this situation. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:20 PM   #2
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Hmmm, only thing I can suggest is to get jumper cables and ground the engine. Sounds like A grounding issue to me, or perhaps on install the grounding cable was not cleaned properly.

If the car starts when you use the jumper cables to ground the engine then take a look at your ground straps.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:02 PM   #3
ShaneDar
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Ok thanks for the input! Ill give that a shot and keep you posted if that works. Hopefully it does!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:40 AM   #4
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Also just double check battery connections in the trunk, if they are loose or have corrosion.

Is the starter oem? could also be that maybe you just got a dud.
Appreciate 0