BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

Washing with hot water

Well its getting pretty chilly outside in NY. In the winter, I usually fill up my buckets with hot water from the kitchen sink.

Will washing with hot water make my wax & sealant come off quicker? Its not scalding hot, more like bath-water. It really makes the washing process easier. My mitts seem to glide across the paint using less effort. Plus, my fingers dont go instantly numb from hose water in december, lol.

Does anyone have good suggestions for a hot water hose setup for the winter. I just have my winter faucet, which I shut off for the season. I can use it, because the valve is inside the house. The hose seems to be the bigger problem. If i leave it outside, its completely frozen, and I cant use it.

Heres one trick I usually do, but it drives my family crazy. I disconnect the conneciton from my washing machine, hook up the hose, and run it through the kitchen, out the garage door, to outside. It always makes a mess, lol.

Anyone have experience with inexpensive, electric, portable in-line water heaters?

Just trying to make my life easier this winter. Dont have any water connections in the garage, and dont feel like drilling through foundation this winter.

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Bishop200
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i 6mt, sports pkg

Washing your car in the garage

Hi,
my suggestion would be to use Optimum No Rinse. You can wash your car in the garage without having to brave the cold. I use warm but not hot water. Done carefully you will not damage your paint.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
Well its getting pretty chilly outside in NY. In the winter, I usually fill up my buckets with hot water from the kitchen sink.

Will washing with hot water make my wax & sealant come off quicker? Its not scalding hot, more like bath-water. It really makes the washing process easier. My mitts seem to glide across the paint using less effort. Plus, my fingers dont go instantly numb from hose water in december, lol.

Does anyone have good suggestions for a hot water hose setup for the winter. I just have my winter faucet, which I shut off for the season. I can use it, because the valve is inside the house. The hose seems to be the bigger problem. If i leave it outside, its completely frozen, and I cant use it.

Heres one trick I usually do, but it drives my family crazy. I disconnect the conneciton from my washing machine, hook up the hose, and run it through the kitchen, out the garage door, to outside. It always makes a mess, lol.

Anyone have experience with inexpensive, electric, portable in-line water heaters?

Just trying to make my life easier this winter. Dont have any water connections in the garage, and dont feel like drilling through foundation this winter.
Old thread, but timely topic. I'm in the Boston area. I just had a hot water exterior faucet installed for winter car washing. My Craftsman rubber hose is also frozen, so I will start storing it inside to keep it defrosted.

Anyone else wash with hot water? Previously I had always used scalding hot water in the wash buckets, but the hose was always the limiting factor when the temp was at/below 30.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Hot water's not a problem, just don't heat shock your glass with it and you should be good (this may be pretty hard to avoid depending on how cold the car is and how hot your water is and you can eventually crack the glass). The kind of soap you use will have a much bigger impact on whether you keep your wax...dish soap will strip it the hell off while some "car shampoos" will let it stay on there. Always a good idea to wax the car periodically if you're into that sweet sheen.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Hot water's not a problem, just don't heat shock your glass with it and you should be good (this may be pretty hard to avoid depending on how cold the car is and how hot your water is and you can eventually crack the glass).
Thanks, I don't plan on using straight hot in the hose, luke warm rinse water should be sufficient when at or below freezing.
Appreciate 0