BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Brown/rusty water oil catch can N55 82k

I bought my car @74k stock from an older gentleman. Within the first few months I installed the BMS oil catch can along with the BMS intake & charge pipe. The car is now FBO and is driven spiritedly. I put under 3k on the car per summer and I am about to do my pre winter storage oil change. The temperatures in New England have fluctuated between mid 30s in the morning to nearly 100 this spring, summer, & into fall. My car uses no oil and has had no drivability issues engine wise.

The catch can never seems to have anything in it. I pulled it off and there was about an ounce of rusty brown colored water with a film of rust coloring on the bottom. No oil at all and there never seems to be. Is this normal?

Last edited by f87CSdrifterential; 10-24-2017 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: engine/oil condition/consumption.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

N55 has a good PCV system. A catch can in an N55 is just clutter in the engine bay that does nothing. I think that because the N54 had quite an average PCV system its easy to re-purpose a product and market it to the newer engine too.

The BMS catch can is a high flow design as it would impede the PCV system otherwise. A high flowing catch can does not catch much oil. Even on the N54 it doesn't catch much oil
      10-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
N55 has a good PCV system. A catch can in an N55 is just clutter in the engine bay that does nothing. I think that because the N54 had quite an average PCV system its easy to re-purpose a product and market it to the newer engine too.

The BMS catch can is a high flow design as it would impede the PCV system otherwise. A high flowing catch can does not catch much oil. Even on the N54 it doesn't catch much oil
Stole my thoughts. Oil blows right through these aftermarket cans.

I run my Mishimoto can in reverse which has a screen on it that provides something for the oil to collect on before air passes through the can. This is the only way I've ever been able to get it to catch ANYTHING. Oil still gets through and coats the inside of piping, btu it's better than nothing. Its a low cost/high mark-up item for vendors.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

I recently did an intake cleaning for the valves ect. I own an N55 and found oil in the intake. Ordered the Mishimoto catch-can. I thought that the N55 was a better system compared to the N54 but this discovery shows that oil can blow by if you drive your car hard at times. Good rule of thumb is catch-can for any turbo car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

I've got a BMS can and, like the OP, it seems to collect water with just a little oil.

Seems to me that's still a good thing since that's condensed water vapor that would have mixed in with the oil and then worked it's way all through the motor.
      10-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Lots of great info. I didn't think anything was wrong, I was just surprised to see there wasn't any oil in there.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:53 AM   #7
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Stole my thoughts. Oil blows right through these aftermarket cans.

I run my Mishimoto can in reverse which has a screen on it that provides something for the oil to collect on before air passes through the can. This is the only way I've ever been able to get it to catch ANYTHING. Oil still gets through and coats the inside of piping, btu it's better than nothing. Its a low cost/high mark-up item for vendors.
Why on earth would you run the system in reverse doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the filter and baffle? With it flowing the right way my intake pipe never gets coated.
      02-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #8
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Why on earth would you run the system in reverse doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the filter and baffle? With it flowing the right way my intake pipe never gets coated.
There is nothing special about the can that it can't be run in reverse. Well there is a little flap welded to the "intake" side but it doesn't cause any kind of a restriction to running the can in reverse.

What purpose does a screen serve on the exit port? You think the screen will prevent oil from exiting the can lol? There is a vacuum on the exit port... meaning any oil the gets on the screen or collects on it would be sucked into the intake. Hence why I run the can in reverse... oil collects on the screen as it enters/diffuses into the can and then vacuum pulls it down into the can.

Seems to work better this way for me. It's really not a big deal to run it either way.

Last edited by bbnks2; 02-04-2019 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
There is nothing special about the can that it can't be run in reverse. Well there is a little flap welded to the "intake" side but it doesn't cause any kind of a restriction to running the can in reverse.

What purpose does a screen serve on the exit port? You think the screen will prevent oil from exiting the can lol? There is a vacuum on the exit port... meaning any oil the gets on the screen or collects on it would be sucked into the intake. Hence why I run the can in reverse... oil collects on the screen as it enters/diffuses into the can and then vacuum pulls it down into the can.

Seems to work better this way for me. It's really not a big deal to run it either way.
On the top of the can it specifically says outlet. You mentioned oil is getting in your intake pipe. I get no oil inside my intake pipe at all. The way you have it run I’m thinking yes it creates a restriction going through the filter first definitely ,which I would think you do not want with the crank case pressure being created at idle and especially under boost.. With the vacuum created from the other side you should be getting mostly just filtered air at least that is my understanding and what I see in my case hence the dry air intake.
Just found it interesting that you would reverse engineer the process plus you are getting some oil in your intake
      02-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
On the top of the can it specifically says outlet. You mentioned oil is getting in your intake pipe. I get no oil inside my intake pipe at all. The way you have it run I’m thinking yes it creates a restriction going through the filter first definitely ,which I would think you do not want with the crank case pressure being created at idle and especially under boost.. With the vacuum created from the other side you should be getting mostly just filtered air at least that is my understanding and what I see in my case hence the dry air intake.
Just found it interesting that you would reverse engineer the process plus you are getting some oil in your intake
Your post does not make any logical sense. The "clean" intake air is what pulls a vacuum through the catch can. How much vacuum is determined by the check valve in the valve cover. Same goes for blow-by pressure... the valve cover check valve controls how much pressure the valve cover sees, not the catch can.

The screen is there to keep debris from entering the intake. Since I have the air inlet attached to the outlet it just means any debris coming out of my valve cover and ENTERING the can will get clogged in the feed line pre-catch can. There is really no debris to speak of though for the screen to catch so it's useless for that purpose. That is why I thought to run the can in reverse and use the screen that's built into the outlet port as an air filter for oil to collect on before the air passes through the can and into the clean air intake tract. Debris still gets caught and now the screen also helps separates oil/air.

I obviously ran the can the intended way for quite some time... I stated I had an oil residue BEFORE I began running the can in reverse.

Last edited by bbnks2; 02-04-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 02:24 AM   #11
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Your post does not make any logical sense. The "clean" intake air is what pulls a vacuum through the catch can. How much vacuum is determined by the check valve in the valve cover. Same goes for blow-by pressure... the valve cover check valve controls how much pressure the valve cover sees, not the catch can.

The screen is there to keep debris from entering the intake. Since I have the air inlet attached to the outlet it just means any debris coming out of my valve cover and ENTERING the can will get clogged in the feed line pre-catch can. There is really no debris to speak of though for the screen to catch so it's useless for that purpose. That is why I thought to run the can in reverse and use the screen that's built into the outlet port as an air filter for oil to collect on before the air passes through the can and into the clean air intake tract. Debris still gets caught and now the screen also helps separates oil/air.

I obviously ran the can the intended way for quite some time... I stated I had an oil residue BEFORE I began running the can in reverse.
I don’t have this catch can on my 335 which I should have stated in the beginning. I have it on a 550whp dsm that pushes 30 plus psi E85 and I use no check valve. So I guarantee I get way way more blow by , crank case pressure and vacuum than you. Motor was built with loose piston to ring clearances as well as bearing clearances and only runs 20w50 synthetic oil.Total opposite of how BMW builds their engines with tight clearances that also create high heat. N55 Hottest running motor I have ever seen oil temp and water temp wise.
Any oil residue I get ends up in the can pre filter and stays in the can.No oil ends up in my intake post filter which is hooked up to my vacuum source (turbo intake pipe).Again no check valve. The filter is helping keeping oil out of my intake. I used to have it reversed like you unknowingly and I got oil in my intake, compressor side of turbo and the entrance of my FMIC. Not anymore when I hooked it up how Mishimoto states. If it works for you I guess that is all that matters. Being that we are in NY assuming NYC I have no problem showing you my setup.

Last edited by ceedawg; 02-05-2019 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #12
Mannysouza
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT M Sport Coupe

Don’t scold me please.

Why doesn’t anyone vent to atmosphere? If the turbo is sucking the oil straight through then doesn’t it make sense to vent to atmosphere?

I just bought a 135i and just did a charge pipe mod and noticed oil in the stock one.
Appreciate 0