BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Clear coating fading away from the front bumper

Found this (South-African 1M): http://www.hellopeter.com/bmw-south-...-fading-674961

The 1M paint seems to be a sensible breed. Anyone had similar experiences ?

"BMW South Africa Complaint [November 8, 2011] [Posted by jrajdeo]
I have purchased my BMW 1M through Bruma BMW. I had polished my car and then noticed that the clear coating had faded away from the front bumper. I contacted Bruma BMW and had my car booked in this morning. Their feedback was that I had the car/bumper resprayed. I contest this and they are adamant that I resprayed the car/bumper. My car is fully insured through Auto and General. If it was my fault I would have had the damages cost ed at my own expense. Also If I damaged the car why would I send the car back to the dealership I purchased it from. Thirdly BMW cannot confirm if the bumper was removed, i mean if the bumper was resprayed then surely the bumper should have been removed and the mounting screws should show that. The horrible service received from Bruma BMW is despicable and will advise nobody to deal with them. If I was wrong then I will admit to it as I am a decent being. If this is the manner that BMW handles their clients then I'd rather move to a different car manufacturer as BMW doesn't take their customers seriously. I have been a BMW fanatic for many a years but this incident causes me to change my tastes."
      03-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Sounds to me like he burnt through his paint or heated the bumper up to the point of the clear coat failing. Not all that difficult to do on plastic body panels with a rotary.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

If the car was imported it was most likely repainted by BMW when it arrived due to shipping damage. If they do repaint, BMW typically doesn't tell the dealer. Check out this thread for more details.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
If the car was imported it was most likely repainted by BMW when it arrived due to shipping damage. If they do repaint, BMW typically doesn't tell the dealer. Check out this thread for more details.
That is correct, if there were to be damage incurred during the delivery process and such damage was assessed to be below a certain percentage threshold relative to the value of the car (IIRC 7%), BMW is not obliged to report it to the customer...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
That is correct, if there were to be damage incurred during the delivery process and such damage was assessed to be below a certain percentage threshold relative to the value of the car (IIRC 7%), BMW is not obliged to report it to the customer...
which is plain dinosaur shit if they actually implement this beautiful rule, so you can get your 0 km. paid car up to 7 % damaged at the delivery?!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
which is plain dinosaur shit if they actually implement this beautiful rule, so you can get your 0 km. paid car up to 7 % damaged at the delivery?!
Sadly it is true. Ask me how I know (though can't spill the beans without getting lawyers all up in arms). Let's just say if you do find out of any 'funny business', and assuming you are persistent and do not tire easily, you can get something in return, in one form or another...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Sadly it is true. Ask me how I know (though can't spill the beans without getting lawyers all up in arms). Let's just say if you do find out of any 'funny business', and assuming you are persistent and do not tire easily, you can get something in return, in one form or another...
...as well as if Mother Nature was not quite nice for the car's body work during transport prior to delivery, it is conceivable that BMW will be fully complying with its informational duties and sort out the situation for the customer in an indulgent way, wouldn't they ?
      03-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
...as well as if Mother Nature was not quite nice for the car's body work during transport prior to delivery, it is conceivable that BMW will be fully complying with its informational duties and sort out the situation for the customer in an indulgent way, wouldn't they ?
Tough to say what they would or wouldn't do, really depends on the country and local 'practices'. The US is known for its litigious nature, so the percentage rule is there just for that. It may very well be different in other countries. Here, sometimes even a dealer won't know as repairs and servicing is done at VPC generally (port side).

For example, my car arrived in Port Elizabeth NJ the Friday of the Hurricane Irene weekend. I made (almost frantic) calls to my dealer, as much as he tried to help I still dunno if the car was outside, in a warehouse, and even if the latter, the risk of flood was pretty real considering this was sea level... So in the US at least, VPC is generally where it all happens (assuming damage was not done on the way to dealer from VPC).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Here is an old link which 'brushes' on some mishaps during the delivery process. The number mentioned is 3% of MV (but that is when dealer is notified), for consumer to be notified I believe it is higher (and this thread is over 8 yrs old).

http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm
Appreciate 0