BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Upgraded Turbos for Dedicated Track car

I've been out of the aftermarket turbo world for a while now. My turbos have somewhat taken a dump and I'm looking for suggestions on the most reliable turbo upgrade out there.

The downside is I have to go with twins, i like Vargas because they're local and Tony has always been a good guy to work with in my experiences

Anyone else have experience running upgraded twins on a pure track / racecar?

I'm leaning toward OEM for reliability unless I hear from anyone that their hybrids or aftermarket twins are running reliably on a dedicated track car at the 450whp range.
      04-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
ShortShift
Private
Rep
Drives: b7 a4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
I've been out of the aftermarket turbo world for a while now. My turbos have somewhat taken a dump and I'm looking for suggestions on the most reliable turbo upgrade out there.

The downside is I have to go with twins, i like Vargas because they're local and Tony has always been a good guy to work with in my experiences

I'm leaning toward OEM for reliability unless I hear from anyone that their hybrids or aftermarket twins are running reliably on a dedicated track car at the 450whp range.
I went with Pure stage 2 Hiflows. I also plan on having around 450whp on e50 for track days. i know that my goals can be reached with the oem turbos but i went with the pure so i can stay in the efficiency of the turbos. Motiv will be doing my tuning and the plan is to create a map that run as efficient as possible for 20-25mins before experiencing heat soak. also have TFT inlets, PSP outlets, ER dual comp pil coolers, CSF radiator, BCP Colossal Fmic, and hood vents to help with cooling.

Car will also have a 91oct map and a higher boost e50 map for when i hit mexico.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #3
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShift View Post
Quote:

I went with Pure stage 2 Hiflows. I also plan on having around 450whp on e50 for track days. i know that my goals can be reached with the oem turbos but i went with the pure so i can stay in the efficiency of the turbos. Motiv will be doing my tuning and the plan is to create a map that run as efficient as possible for 20-25mins before experiencing heat soak. also have TFT inlets, PSP outlets, ER dual comp pil coolers, CSF radiator, BCP Colossal Fmic, and hood vents to help with cooling.

Car will also have a 91oct map and a higher boost e50 map for when i hit mexico.
Have you run the car for a full season? Do you have an idea of how many race/track hours on the turbos so far?

I'm probably going to stick with 430whp max for time attack events (with some variance based on how long the straights are at the tracks I run) on OEM turbos and run around 375whp for practice weekends. After pulling out my turbos with ~60 track days on them and seeing how great of condition they were in, I'm fairly confident I can be more aggressive with my tuning on track assuming we can keep heat in check.
      04-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
frontside0815
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i FBO

I run TTE550.
i think the main pro argument for upgraded turbos(at least stage 1) is that you can have a custom map without the aggressive torque in the middle of your Revband and the car pulls to redline. you wont have this with oem turbos and you have to shift at around 5500rpm.

I run mine since Winter 2017 since around 15.000km with 3 trackdays and around 30 laps of nordschleife- up to date no problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
I run TTE550.
i think the main pro argument for upgraded turbos(at least stage 1) is that you can have a custom map without the aggressive torque in the middle of your Revband and the car pulls to redline. you wont have this with oem turbos and you have to shift at around 5500rpm.

I run mine since Winter 2017 since around 15.000km with 3 trackdays and around 30 laps of nordschleife- up to date no problems.
Hmm good to hear, I wish you had more track days of them. I was hoping to get feedback from someone with 20+ hours of track time on the turbos.

I appreciate your info though! How's your car compare to others on the Green Hell?
      04-07-2018, 03:50 AM   #6
Mybimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 118d & E82 135i

Why do you have to run twins? If its a dedicated track car I'd be going with a single.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 11:47 PM   #7
Delta Goose
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 AW 135i

I'm running pure stage 2 on a track car build. This is their first season though with only one track day so far so we'll see how they do. They ran great on the the first day though!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
frontside0815
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmm good to hear, I wish you had more track days of them. I was hoping to get feedback from someone with 20+ hours of track time on the turbos.

I appreciate your info though! How's your car compare to others on the Green Hell?
Hm let me calculate how much time:

3 trackdays: Around 3-4 Stins a 20 min´s= 80 min *3= 240 min (4 Hours).
30 Laps Nordschleife: Maybe around 9 Min´s per lap: 270 min (4,5 Hours).

Okay, not 20+ Hours. But also a few KM on street with more boost.

But tbh i wouldn´t buy upgraded turbos again. You only hear bad things from the new TTE600 and there arent any options without too much bad stories. Then my TTE550 spool not really good compared to OEM Turbos and a Single turbo for around 7-800HP spools much better...

I would fore sure get a small single now (bottom mount). Maybe some day i will do a ST conversion (after 1m conversion)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Strongly recommend the Vargas upgraded turbos

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #10
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
Quote:

Hm let me calculate how much time:

3 trackdays: Around 3-4 Stins a 20 min´s= 80 min *3= 240 min (4 Hours).
30 Laps Nordschleife: Maybe around 9 Min´s per lap: 270 min (4,5 Hours).

Okay, not 20+ Hours. But also a few KM on street with more boost.

But tbh i wouldn´t buy upgraded turbos again. You only hear bad things from the new TTE600 and there arent any options without too much bad stories. Then my TTE550 spool not really good compared to OEM Turbos and a Single turbo for around 7-800HP spools much better...

I would fore sure get a small single now (bottom mount). Maybe some day i will do a ST conversion (after 1m conversion)
Awesome that you've gotten that much seat time with them, I'm sure the car is a beast on the Nurburgring straights - what KMH have you hit on the long straight?
      04-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #11
frontside0815
Private
Rep

Quote:
Awesome that you've gotten that much seat time with them, I'm sure the car is a beast on the Nurburgring straights - what KMH have you hit on the long straight?
The long straight (Döttinger Höhe) isnt opened during Touristen Fahrten and also wasnt open during my trackday.

But "Fuchsröhre" for example the car can hit 240,250 easily. But since i call myself rookie, i am not going that fast there...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 05:05 AM   #12
ShortShift
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have you run the car for a full season? Do you have an idea of how many race/track hours on the turbos so far?

I'm probably going to stick with 430whp max for time attack events (with some variance based on how long the straights are at the tracks I run) on OEM turbos and run around 375whp for practice weekends. After pulling out my turbos with ~60 track days on them and seeing how great of condition they were in, I'm fairly confident I can be more aggressive with my tuning on track assuming we can keep heat in check.
Sorry didn't see this. I have done about 25 track days. my car has 124k on it. But i literally beat the shit out of my car. Malibu canyon drives weekly for about 60-90 mins of hard canyon carving, Mexico trips about 3 times a week. Not a day would go by without a 1-4th gear pull.

Hours on turbos would be 4 20 mins session on each track day. 4x20=80 total mins each, X 20 track days (some track days i didnt do full sessions and broke a kw spring perch on 1st session) is about 26 hours give or take on track.

I blew my motor back in Dec of 2016 going back to school at UCI for finals week. Heard my motor knocking on my door when i got off the fwy a couple miles from my place. its been parked at my house since. Been collecting A LOT of parts. Trying to get the car up and running by end of june so i can spend july and august dialing the motor and suspension in so i can go to Buttonwillow on Sept 8-9th with SpeedDistrict. Trying to go sub 2 without a LSD and or aero

Also, i havent ran the car with the pure turbos. I'm waiting to put them on with the new motor and the rest of the parts i have. Not sure if it came off that way
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #13
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Nice, what are your suspension/chassis mods? You'll definitely have sufficient power with upgraded twins to cover up a few missed apexs lol.

I found that my car was actually faster with dialed in suspension (no wing) vs having a rear wing as it just caused understeer so my fastest lap times last year were aero-less. Really trying to get my aero dialed in for 2018 with some more up front... Unless I just bite the bullet and turn my E92M3 into the track toy and start DDing the E82.

Tough decision... The S65 is so great.
      05-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #14
ShortShift
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nice, what are your suspension/chassis mods? You'll definitely have sufficient power with upgraded twins to cover up a few missed apexs lol.

I found that my car was actually faster with dialed in suspension (no wing) vs having a rear wing as it just caused understeer so my fastest lap times last year were aero-less. Really trying to get my aero dialed in for 2018 with some more up front... Unless I just bite the bullet and turn my E92M3 into the track toy and start DDing the E82.

TC Kline DA coils and camber plates with Swift 392lbs front and 672lbs rear springs, m3 front and rear control arms, akg red diff and subframe bushings. powerflex black trailing arm bushings, ecs trailing arms, e92 m3 front bar, cobb 15mm rear bar, spl bumpsteer kit, spl front monoball control arm bushings, spl front and rear end links. also have M4 front brakes im about to put on and sending the rear brakes out to Racing Brake for caliper rebuild, pagid rsl and rs29 pads, brembo 64htc fluid, bimmerworld lines.

I got a 2:04.1at buttonwillow when i had Kw v3s with camber plates, e92 m3 front bar, and m3 front control arms. so im pretty sure with the new setup sub 2 shouldnt be a problem once its setup and im comfortable with the car. Wanna get a 58 before i get a lsd and before i start gutting the car. than after that going to try a 55 with lsd and no aero
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #15
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

TC Kline DA coils and camber plates with Swift 392lbs front and 672lbs rear springs, m3 front and rear control arms, akg red diff and subframe bushings. powerflex black trailing arm bushings, ecs trailing arms, e92 m3 front bar, cobb 15mm rear bar, spl bumpsteer kit, spl front monoball control arm bushings, spl front and rear end links. also have M4 front brakes im about to put on and sending the rear brakes out to Racing Brake for caliper rebuild, pagid rsl and rs29 pads, brembo 64htc fluid, bimmerworld lines.

I got a 2:04.1at buttonwillow when i had Kw v3s with camber plates, e92 m3 front bar, and m3 front control arms. so im pretty sure with the new setup sub 2 shouldnt be a problem once its setup and im comfortable with the car. Wanna get a 58 before i get a lsd and before i start gutting the car. than after that going to try a 55 with lsd and no aero
Nice similar suspension mods as me minus the Mfactory LSD. Weirdly, my best time was actually on KW v3s, haven't been able to run BW cw13 with my MCSs. I've been running the car in TT3 trim limited to 355whp max recently but I'm stoked to bump up the boost with my new OEM turbos to around 410whp or so. I love tracking the 1er so I still haven't decided when I'm going to migrate everything over to the E92 - I'm really loving the E92 as a DD.

We should plan a 1addicts meetup track day with the track rats on here.
      05-08-2018, 03:22 AM   #16
ShortShift
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nice similar suspension mods as me minus the Mfactory LSD. Weirdly, my best time was actually on KW v3s, haven't been able to run BW cw13 with my MCSs. I've been running the car in TT3 trim limited to 355whp max recently but I'm stoked to bump up the boost with my new OEM turbos to around 410whp or so. I love tracking the 1er so I still haven't decided when I'm going to migrate everything over to the E92 - I'm really loving the E92 as a DD.

the kws were good but i hit a few potholes and one time i went on the inside apex of turn 2 at SOW and broke the spring perches. they use plastic which is kinda ridiculous for a part that is designed to hold the suspension up.

e92 would be a much better base for a track car but for me i love my 135. even when the motor blew i was thinking of getting a clean e90 m3 or a like a m240i but i just like the way the 135i looks and since the 1m is by far one of my favorite modern day BMWs i would just do the 1m widebody and have one of my favorite cars on the road

My car has been down for a long time but as soon as its done id be so down to get a 1addicts track meet or something. I work with SpeedDistrict track events, 5 or more guys and i can get a group rate.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Go Pure PS2 for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #18
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the kws were good but i hit a few potholes and one time i went on the inside apex of turn 2 at SOW and broke the spring perches. they use plastic which is kinda ridiculous for a part that is designed to hold the suspension up.

e92 would be a much better base for a track car but for me i love my 135. even when the motor blew i was thinking of getting a clean e90 m3 or a like a m240i but i just like the way the 135i looks and since the 1m is by far one of my favorite modern day BMWs i would just do the 1m widebody and have one of my favorite cars on the road

My car has been down for a long time but as soon as its done id be so down to get a 1addicts track meet or something. I work with SpeedDistrict track events, 5 or more guys and i can get a group rate.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'm probably going to finish the year tracking the E82 and slowly make the E92 into the track rat. Luckily all my suspension stuff swaps right over to the m3 which influenced my decision in going with the E92 vs the E46.

I have the 1M front-end on the 135 now and will eventually do the rear which will make for a sweet daily driver.

I've always wondered why they used plastic for the spring perch, I agree that the v3s were pretty good. I also got them for super cheap so I can't complain but the MCSs handle abuse sooo much better out on track.

Speed district is great, ran with you guys for my first time a few weeks back at Buttonwillow. Really enjoyed it, Josh knows how to run a super laid back event.