BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

DCT possable issues?

well not really issues but actions that I haven't come across and wanted to ask the community.

ive seen many 2011 use launch control and they have a flag appear and revs that go to around 4K, my car is a 2012 with DCT and when trying to activate launch control after following the correct procedure, when applying the brake and then the gas the revs go up slightly then falls back to idle RPM , no flag is ever visible. once I let go of the brake the RPM's climb till 4K then the clutch engages, seems to work but is different than what the manual and from what I've seen.

also sometimes when sitting at the stop light and I want to get on it and just nail the accelerator pedal the clutch and RPM's rev freely to redline (no engagement) as I release the pedal the revs fall and when the needle hits around 4k I hit the gas again and the clutch engages and im off, almost like launch control but without all the process.

I don't thing that however is normal.

what do you guys think?

thanks!

-C-

Last edited by -c-; 06-09-2013 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

For the LC to activate, you need the car to be broken in (1200miles?), it won't work otherwise. Also, you need the engine to be fully warmed up, and drive at least 10miles after starting you car in order to be able to try.
After that it's:
- Sport mode on
- M1 engaged on gearbox
- Press DTC once
- keep left foot on the brake, press gas all the way until you feel a click.

This should give you launch control.

For the other behavior, I have the same when traction control is fully off and I follow similar steps. Then when I release the brake the car doesn't engage the clutch but the engine revs, I have to release the gas pedal and accelerate again to engage the clutch and fly like a motherf*cka .
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmtl_135i
For the LC to activate, you need the car to be broken in (1200miles?), it won't work otherwise. Also, you need the engine to be fully warmed up, and drive at least 10miles after starting you car in order to be able to try.
After that it's:
- Sport mode on
- M1 engaged on gearbox
- Press DTC once
- keep left foot on the brake, press gas all the way until you feel a click.

This should give you launch control.

For the other behavior, I have the same when traction control is fully off and I follow similar steps. Then when I release the brake the car doesn't engage the clutch but the engine revs, I have to release the gas pedal and accelerate again to engage the clutch and fly like a motherf*cka .
I'm at 32000 miles so not worried their, heavy highway driving

And the engine is fully warmed, that's why I think something isn't right as the flag never showes :/
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I'm at 32000 miles so not worried their, heavy highway driving

And the engine is fully warmed, that's why I think something isn't right as the flag never showes :/
When I first got my car I could never get LC to activate neither, I also thought that was a problem with the car. I took it to the dealer and they told me it worked fine, so I left looking a bit like an idiot o_O. I think the issue was that I never waited long before trying, the car was warmed up but I really needed those 10+ miles of driving.

If in your case this still doesn't work, you can take it to the dealer too.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks man ill give it a Try! Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Gave it a shot went for a long drive and still not working right I will take a trip to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Mine has never worked for me. However, putting it in m1, Sport Mode, DTC an stability control off, and flooring the gas without the brake depressed will spin my tires just a bit as I take off. Maybe it is not LC but from what I have read I will get pretty much the same effect, possibly with more wheel spin with LC as I do flooring the gas. I do sometimes wish it would just work si I could experience it. The 10+ mile requirement I find to be stupid. Going off engine temp would work well but I don't drive 10+ miles before a autoX run and I doubt I would at the drag strip either.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I thought it was programmed to not do launch control while within the break-in period.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I thought it was programmed to not do launch control while within the break-in period.
yea saw that in the manual, I’m over 30,000 miles so it’s well broken in.

so basically foot on the brake smash the gas and the revs go up slightly only to fall back to idle, then after removing the brake the RPM's shoot up to 4K and the clutch engages and I’m off with tires a squealing.

no flag of any sort, is it possible it has been reworked for the 2012 models?

anyway I’ll take it in for the dealer to look at it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
then after removing the brake the RPM's shoot up to 4K and the clutch engages and I’m off with tires a squealing.
So you don't have to do anything ? you release the brake and then from there on you keep the throttle all the way down, and the car does the rest?
For me that behavior is only when DTC is fully off and I have to release the gas pedal and re-accelerate for the clutch to engage
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes I have both actions, the one where the dtc is off and I slam the gas with no brake applied and the RPM's rise and then I let off and then reapply the throttle to engage the clutch.

Then the other where I apply the brake pedal then full throttle and release the brake pedal for the "launch control" to work only the flag never shows up nor does the RPM's stay at 4k before launch like I have seen ....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Took the car to the dealer and they found the launch control was faulty and recoded the trans with a new software update for it and now all works like a charm!! Yayyyy!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
DeepOvertone
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Took the car to the dealer and they found the launch control was faulty and recoded the trans with a new software update for it and now all works like a charm!! Yayyyy!
I'm glad to hear this was only a software issue. I was worried about getting my new car and having it behave this way. Thanks for updating!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Good news!
Appreciate 0