BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #23
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
And probably not wise to flex on me with your 28th out of 65 placing in a local autocross getting raw timed by bunch of ES cars. I would never bring up something like that normally, but since you posted it trying to prove something, might want to reconsider doing that next time.
Sh*t's getting real.
      10-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #24
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
And probably not wise to flex on me with your 28th out of 65 placing in a local autocross getting raw timed by bunch of ES cars. I would never bring up something like that normally, but since you posted it trying to prove something, might want to reconsider doing that next time.
I'm not doing anything differently than anyone who knows how to set a car up.

You go on prepping your wife's 135i by slamming it to the ground and running high offset wheels. Oh dont forget the 4* of camber and 1000lb springs so you can call it a "real race car" (fyi most full blown race cars on pirellis are restricted to 3* camber).

I'm really not sure what the hell you think you're even debating. Or, what you think you're "right" about. Are you really trying to argue the suspension geometry is better when you lower the car? Are you really trying to argue that running high offset wheels that sit right on the strut is better than being able to space the wheel out 20mm? How many other people on this forum are able to run 17x9 et23 up front A few 1m conversion or stance boys? With the +15mm fenders I could fit a 17x9.5 and tuck a 275 on it.

And now to the results... hows your wife doing with that poorly setup car? Because on 2016 245/45r17 scrub street tires I am within 3s of daniel Stainbeck, multi time street mod champ, running 315 hoosier A7. Or any other of the other national podium drivers that were a second faster than me at that event you're referencing... Is your wife running within 1s of james tadad-- last years stx champion? Even raw timed him this year (in his defense he was on rains)? You ask for results now put your foot in your mouth and move along. Having the extra fender clearance and being able to space the wheels out a bit has contributed quite a bit to how well the car feels right now. Just like you tried to argue that a picture represented roll when the car was clear as day accelerating. Just straight up dumb shit not sure why I waste my time. Doesnt even know how to measure bump travel but wants to argue about camber loss... and demanding "results." Go grab a ruler and measure something. Start with your ego.

Things clueless people say:
* "Stock ride height has worse suspension geometry"
* "You need 3.5* or more camber to be fast"
* "You need to lower the car to make it go fast. Everyone knows you get sick ground effects from lowering a car that doesn't ever see over 60mph and has no AERO aid."
* "Widening the track width a bit on an under-tire'd car isn't worth it."

I feel like the enthusiast scene has been completely taken over by Tokyo drift. At least for bmw's that seems to be the case because any other forum you can find intelligent people actually discussing suspension tuning beyond "camber is the only thing that make you go faster durrr deet durrr."

So OP needs new fenders and is curious to know if relatively cheap N5tuner fenders will provide a little bit extra clearance that he needs to square his wheel and tire setup up. Specifically, to widen the front track width a bit to to help reduce understeer. Are you going to ignore his needs, and this particular scenario, or actually try to provide your experience with N5tuner fenders?

OP, jsut take your damn fenders off. You don't need them. Oh and you have under-steer? Just run 4* of camber bro. Everyone knows that's the only way to get a bmw to handle well. DUH.

Last edited by bbnks2; 10-24-2019 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #25
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
I'm not doing anything differently than anyone who knows how to set a car up.

You go on prepping your wife's 135i by slamming it to the ground and running high offset wheels. Oh dont forget the 4* of camber and 1000lb springs so you can call it a "real race car" (fyi most full blown race cars on pirellis are restricted to 3* camber).
I can't even begin to respond to the stupidity of this statement. Are you trolling? And her car is far from slammed, and it has 550/800 springs.

Quote:

And now to the results... hows your wife doing with that poorly setup car? Because on 2016 245/45r17 scrub street tires I am within 3s of daniel Stainbeck, multi time street mod champ, running 315 hoosier A7. Or any other of the other national podium drivers that were a second faster than me at that event you're referencing... Is your wife running within 1s of james tadad-- last years stx champion? Even raw timed him this year (in his defense he was on rains)? You ask for results now put your foot in your mouth and move along. Having the extra fender clearance and being able to space the wheels out a bit has contributed quite a bit to how well the car feels right now. Just like you tried to argue that a picture represented roll when the car was clear as day accelerating. Just straight up dumb shit not sure why I waste my time. Doesnt even know how to measure bump travel but wants to argue about camber loss... and demanding "results." Go grab a ruler and measure something. Start with your ego.

Things clueless people say:
* "Stock ride height has worse suspension geometry"
* "You need 3.5* or more camber to be fast"
* "You need to lower the car to make it go fast. Everyone knows you get sick ground effects from lowering a car that doesn't ever see over 60mph and has no AERO aid."
* "Widening the track width a bit on an under-tire'd car isn't worth it."

I feel like the enthusiast scene has been completely taken over by Tokyo drift. At least for bmw's that seems to be the case because any other forum you can find intelligent people actually discussing suspension tuning beyond "camber is the only thing that make you go faster durrr deet durrr."

So OP needs new fenders and is curious to know if relatively cheap N5tuner fenders will provide a little bit extra clearance that he needs to square his wheel and tire setup up. Specifically, to widen the front track width a bit to to help reduce understeer. Are you going to ignore his needs, and this particular scenario, or actually try to provide your experience with N5tuner fenders?

OP, jsut take your damn fenders off. You don't need them. Oh and you have under-steer? Just run 4* of camber bro. Everyone knows that's the only way to get a bmw to handle well. DUH.
I'll only respond to the bolded part, because you have made yourself look so ridiculous in the rest of the response, there is no way I could possibly out do it.

She again, doesn't autocross. I don't either. I used to, and the setup was pretty similar. Here are a couple examples of how I do in my poorly setup M3 against actual race cars on actual slicks, with really stiff springs, low ride height, massive wheels, and 4* of camber up front. I'm on a DOT tire. My wife is in there too. Usually around 25th-40th or so, but out of 80-120 cars. You will have to scroll to the bottom to see the actual results.

http://pahillclimb.org/wp-content/up...al_Results.pdf

http://pahillclimb.org/wp-content/up...tn_Results.pdf

Just a couple examples. And I'm done responding to you. In the future, maybe try a little harder to realize there are guys around here who have been at this for a very long time, and really know what they are doing. I've seen you pull the shit you do with me to numerous guys on here who also have been at this for really long time, have had a ton of success, and would've been happy to share their knowledge with you.

Last edited by Mark Aubele; 10-24-2019 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #26
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
That's exactly what I'd like to get from this thread.

Regardless, that Miata behind us is faster, and it's futile to think otherwise
      10-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #27
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
I can't even begin to respond to the stupidity of this statement.
Then don't reply at all because you're still not helping op. Get back to me when you actually have a counterpoint to debate other than "I've been doing this longer than you." No one cares about your clapped out e36. E82 is an entirely different chassis.

Asks for results but then replies with "I dont autocross." So what's the point of this whole dog and pony show? You want to talk shit but I cant do it back? Did I hurt your old man feelings? Boomers are such "snowflakes."

6" 550lb springs up front. Have fun with that. < 3" of useable stroke out of that spring. Like I said, might want to go out to your garage and actually measure something.

Last edited by bbnks2; 10-24-2019 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #28
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Why don't the two of you take your bickering to Facebook and stop shitting all over this forum. No one cares who's dick is bigger. Mercedes isn't lurking here looking for Bottas' replacement.

You both need to realize car set up is like politics, do and think what works for you but in the end it's just your own opinion and no one else cares.
Appreciate 2
dtla1826.00
      10-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #29
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
That's exactly what I'd like to get from this thread.

Regardless, that Miata behind us is faster, and it's futile to think otherwise
So it wasn't helpful to realize you could save your money and fit the little 255 under the stock fenders? If you want to buy the fenders, by all means buy them. Nothing at all wrong with that. I just hate to see people waste money.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #30
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So it wasn't helpful to realize you could save your money and fit the little 255 under the stock fenders? If you want to buy the fenders, by all means buy them. Nothing at all wrong with that. I just hate to see people waste money.
Not saying that none of this has been helpful, it could just use a little less bantering

I know that I can fit a little more tire, but if I'm going to invest in wider/better offset wheels down the road, I'd like to make a bigger jump than going from 245's to 255's. With these fenders, I could run a 15mm spacer up front with my current wheels, which would pretty much equalize my track width front to rear.

Either way, I'll be using these if I find that they'll be cheaper than repairing my damaged fender...
      10-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #31
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not saying that none of this has been helpful, it could just use a little less bantering

I know that I can fit a little more tire, but if I'm going to invest in wider/better offset wheels down the road, I'd like to make a bigger jump than going from 245's to 255's. With these fenders, I could run a 15mm spacer up front with my current wheels, which would pretty much equalize my track width front to rear.

Either way, I'll be using these if I find that they'll be cheaper than repairing my damaged fender...
Good luck! Post some pictures when you get them on.

And I apologize for taking the bait and shitting up your thread.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #32
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck! Post some pictures when you get them on.

And I apologize for taking the bait and shitting up your thread.
It happens it's the internet