BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Cooldaddygroove
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel, Auto Shift Knob, and Interior Lights Install

Ordered the CF Steering wheel insert, CF Automatic shift knob insert, and the Xenon interior bulbs from JLevi and just finshed installing all the pieces.

Shift Knob Insert:
It matches the weave of my BMW Performance CF interior perfectly. Unfortunately it did not come with any kind of adhesive or 2-sided tape, so I used a tube of Loctite adhesive. Installation was pretty straight forward. The CF insert is cupped on the backside to allow for the thickness of 2-sided tape if used. I've used this Loctite adhesive with good results in the past. If you go this route you will need to use a generous amount to fill up the cavity between the insert and the shift knob.

I taped up the CF with painters tape beforehand to make sure there was no adhesive on the CF. Once positioned, I wrapped the shift knob with electrical tape firmly (but not too tight) and left it overnight. Removed the tape in the morning and picked off any excess adhesive. WHat I like about using this product from Loctite is that the excess when dry is much like silicone, so its easy to clean it up.
Attachment 14927
Attachment 14923
Attachment 14924

Steering Wheel Insert:
Using the instructions found in the DIY section, I removed the airbag and OEM insert. Finding the two clips behind the steering wheel to release the airbag is a BITCH! Frustrating as Hell as you just don't know what angle to push your screwdriver in. Lets just say its more parallel to the steering wheel then it is perpendicular.

While the CF weave matches my BMW Performance CF interior perfectly, I have to say the final fit of this piece is less than impressive. While I understood when purchasing this piece that it was a plastic piece wrapped in CF, and that it would then be thicker than the original part, the fit around the buttons leaves some gaps I am not pleased with. I'll get over it eventually, maybe I am too much or a perfectionist?
Attachment 14925
Attachment 14926

Xenon Interior Lights:
This was the shittiest of all the installs. If I could make one recommendation to you, I would only replace the two dome lights in the roof, the two footwell lights, the mirror lights in the two visors, and the glove department. Replacing the bulbs in the small map lights requires the tiny hands of a child.

The only way I could remove/install the bulbs was to use needle nose pliers wrapped in surgical rubber gloves to provide enough grip on the bulbs. I ended up busting one of the housings for the drivers side map light (FACK!). I also ended up busting the plastic frame that holds the trunk light when I tried to remove it.

Interestingly enought, JLEVI only supplied one light for the mirror lights in the visors. Go figure.

In the end, the effect is much nicer that stock. Very white, with a hint of blue tinge. The $60 I spent on the bulb kit will be followed up with some additional expense of ordering replacement OEM parts for the pieces I damaged during the install.

Hope you all find this usefull......
Attachment 14928
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Thanks for the review. The upgrades look great but I am sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with the install. Interior items can be quite tricky with all of the plastic tabs and bits that complicate the install. That center console light is also a pain, it was not designed well by BMW. The same issue is on the E92, quite a hassle to swap out those bulbs.

Thanks again for your support and hope you enjoy the new look!
Appreciate 0