BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
B-52
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Convertible

Fuel Guage - fill

First, let me say here in NJ we are one of the few states where we cannot pump our own gas.

I have noticed that the fill tube must be very small, and the gas pump prematurely shuts off before the tank is full.

The attendant will always ask, "Is it full"? using the key fob, how can I power on to see the gauges move, without actually starting the engine????
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

This happens on occasion and I don't know exactly why. I've had the damn thing pop off the second I start pumping and then I have to pump real slow or fight it - quite annoying.

Lately I've been putting the nozzle of the pump in and out of the fuel port a couple times before I start pumping. My theory is this opens that flap and releases the excess air pressure in the tank that causes the pump to shut off too soon.

I have absolutely no idea if this actually works or if I'm just being silly, but I will say I haven't had the pump shut off too soon once since I started doing this little pre-pump ritual.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Don't put the nozzle in fully/as far and you won't have a problem.
      05-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

And don't lean it up or down. Just keep a neutral grip on it and it doesn't pop.

But honestly sometimes it's just the pump

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

It's the pump. Nothing to do with your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Gauge
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Never had this problem with my 135i, but I did have this problem with a Caravan once (my parents', not mine).

As for checking the fuel gauge, insert key, and with your foot off the clutch (or off the brake in an automatic), press the Start button once. That will turn everything but the engine on. That will also turn on the fuel gauge.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

If the car if off, you can insert the keyfob, press once on the start button with your foot OFF the brake, and the car will go into accessory mode. Your gas gauge should then display your current level of gas.

This happens to me relatively often, maybe like once out of every 5 times I get gas. All in all, it's not a common occurrence on a day-by-day level, but still annoying. I tend to have to get out myself and make it finish..

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While this happens infrequently, I was told by one station manager that the pump prematurely cut off because he had just changed the filter and the flow rate was now faster than normal.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Move out of jersey?

Ive been thru jersey a few times, first time i got to a full station (seems like they all are) I got out to pump it, put my card in and was bout to pump and then the dumbass attendant waltzes over and is like "ya i got that". So i fight with him for like 20 seconds telling him I got it and im already doing it but the fuckin guy didnt shut the hell up so i just let him do it and got back in the car...so retarded. I mean stations with a full and self serve, thats one thing, then you actually WANT some dirty ass to pump ur gas cuz ur lazy. I dont ever want someone else touching my car or holding my credit card for longer than a second in front of me...

NJ =
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
This happens on occasion and I don't know exactly why. I've had the damn thing pop off the second I start pumping and then I have to pump real slow or fight it - quite annoying.

Lately I've been putting the nozzle of the pump in and out of the fuel port a couple times before I start pumping. My theory is this opens that flap and releases the excess air pressure in the tank that causes the pump to shut off too soon.

I have absolutely no idea if this actually works or if I'm just being silly, but I will say I haven't had the pump shut off too soon once since I started doing this little pre-pump ritual.

My car has done this from day one of ownership. Normally the pump clicks off at 8 liters and then again at 15 liters. Sometimes when it acts up I have to keep klicking the pump handle every 0.2 liters until I get past a certain amount of liters in the tank. Sometime it also klicks off before teh tank is full too - like the OP has described.

At first my dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Then one day after refueling - after I filled the tank and started the engine - I got a "service engine soon" light on the dash. At first I thought I forgot to tighten the gas cap - but I did tighten it fully. The fual code ended up being a bad "check valve" for the tank ventilation. My dealer replaced that valve and also gave me a new style gas cap.

The problem still persisted but it wasn't so bad. Before the repair I had problems filling the gas tank maybe seven out of ten - tankings. Now it was maybe four out of ten tankings. But still I had the same problem.

Then... one time after refueling... I got another "service engine soon" right after filling the fuel tank. This time it was for the vacum pump that checks the tank's ventilation system for leaks. This pump was leaking.

Since this pump has need replaced - I have not had the problem. It has been about five weeks now. But we are just starting to get hot weather here in Germany... and this problem is worse in the (hot) summer time.

Btw here are some pics of my new gas cap. The new one is made mostly out of plastic and feels like it weighs in at 1/3 of the old metal one. The new cap also has this long thing-y that must do something! ? I prefer the old one - for feel and looks though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jainism View Post
@ Dackleone.....that long "thingy" is what goes into the round green hole on the gas tank cover so it doesnt dangle against your cars paint.....DOH!

lmao

Yea... I know THAT. But the thing-y is different than the original gas cap that came iwth my car from the factory. I always "hang up" the gas cap in the green "hole" when I tank. New new gas cap is different. I think it is the newer cap from a N55 motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Good info Dackelone.

I've owned quite a few cars and I've never had the consistent issues with fuel pumps kicking off like I have on this 1er, so I'm still much more inclined to believe it's the car and not the pump that's the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yea... I know THAT. But the thing-y is different than the original gas cap that came iwth my car from the factory. I always "hang up" the gas cap in the green "hole" when I tank. New new gas cap is different. I think it is the newer cap from a N55 motor.

I think it is too, because thats the cap that came with my car.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I've had the pump shut off while filling up.
But, it only has happened with some pumps that seem to have a very high flow.
On those pumps I just use the first "click" or 2nd and not the full flow on the 3rd click.
Most pumps I can use the full flow 3rd click with no issues.

In my 135i I don't have any filling issues and the occasional shut off has only been on a limited number of pumps that have very high flow.
Try not puling the lever to full or try not setting it to the full position if you're having problems and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I've had the pump shut off while filling up.
But, it only has happened with some pumps that seem to have a very high flow.

It has happened to me at various gas stations. I do mainly go to an Esso off base - to purchase my tax free gas in Germany. But I even have tried various pumps there. I i drive alot and have used many different gas stations. They ALL do this.

Since I have had the gas tank vacum pump replaced... I have not had the "clicking off" problem. IF it comes back I am gonna have the dealer pull the gas tank and check all the carbon canister lines - to make sure nothing is kinked or damage.

Btw... I never "over fill" the gas tank(when I fill up) as that can also damage the gas tank's ventilation emission system.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Move out of jersey?

Ive been thru jersey a few times, first time i got to a full station (seems like they all are) I got out to pump it, put my card in and was bout to pump and then the dumbass attendant waltzes over and is like "ya i got that". So i fight with him for like 20 seconds telling him I got it and im already doing it but the fuckin guy didnt shut the hell up so i just let him do it and got back in the car...so retarded. I mean stations with a full and self serve, thats one thing, then you actually WANT some dirty ass to pump ur gas cuz ur lazy. I dont ever want someone else touching my car or holding my credit card for longer than a second in front of me...

NJ =
Why are you blaming the attendant when you were the one breaking a state law?

While I prefer to pump my own gas, I've never had a problem with a NJ fill-up - and the state has some of the cheapest gas in the northeast due to lower gas taxes.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Why are you blaming the attendant when you were the one breaking a state law?

While I prefer to pump my own gas, I've never had a problem with a NJ fill-up - and the state has some of the cheapest gas in the northeast due to lower gas taxes.

Tom
Screw the state law

Its not preference, i simply dont want some random ass attendant touching my car, nor do I want to have to feel inclined to tip a guy for doing something I am more than capable of doing. Last I was in NJ the gas was just as expensive as what I was paying in PA and what Im paying in NC now, taxes be damned..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #19
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Screw the state law

Its not preference, i simply dont want some random ass attendant touching my car, nor do I want to have to feel inclined to tip a guy for doing something I am more than capable of doing. Last I was in NJ the gas was just as expensive as what I was paying in PA and what Im paying in NC now, taxes be damned..
So how's that approach working out for you?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
So how's that approach working out for you?

Tom
Approach?

Its just an opinion, not an approach. I like to fill my tank myself, its an easy task, no need to tip some dude to do it for me...gas is expensive nuff
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #21
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i

I've been having the same problem as well. All I do is just lift the nozzle up slightly and it stops clicking. But now that I hear over filling may damage it. I might try under fill slightly by judging how much fuel I need =\

Usually I take care not to lift it up too high however. Just slightly as I don't want it to overfill either.

I've only filled up twice so far though. I believe it's the car though because both times have been at different stations. Will be more wary about this problem now. Always thought it was just a shallow fuel canister.
Appreciate 0