BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
slas1990
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

VVT Issues after valve cover gasket replacement?

So after 8 great years, the time has come for me to part with my 128i 'vert. I thought I would set the next owner off on the right foot and also have some fun by replacing the valve cover gasket.

A few hours and choice muttered swear words later, I have the gasket properly seated and the VC back on. I go to start the car, and after a few moments it revs up to 1500RPM and then begins to idle erratically and stall. I check all the sensors, connections, and etc., then restart. Same thing.

I noted that when I unplug the the valvetronic motor, it does not behave this way and runs/idles just fine. Plug the motor back in and the erratic behavior resumes. Strangely, if I use INPA to clear the fault codes after shutting down, the problem does not occur on the next start, but does return on the following start.

I reset the adjustment motor adaptations with INPA and this does not seem to help. INPA shows code 2A82 Inlet VANOS (218) Moves with difficulty - jammed mechanically. Should I replace the adjustment motor?

I am frustrated that this short project is turning into a protracted affair, and want to be able to sell the car while the summer sun is still attracting 'vert buyers. I see a litany of folks with similar errors, but have not seen someone else report that unplugging the adjustment motor makes things OK.

Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:20 PM   #2
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slas1990 View Post
So after 8 great years, the time has come for me to part with my 128i 'vert. I thought I would set the next owner off on the right foot and also have some fun by replacing the valve cover gasket.

A few hours and choice muttered swear words later, I have the gasket properly seated and the VC back on. I go to start the car, and after a few moments it revs up to 1500RPM and then begins to idle erratically and stall. I check all the sensors, connections, and etc., then restart. Same thing.

I noted that when I unplug the the valvetronic motor, it does not behave this way and runs/idles just fine. Plug the motor back in and the erratic behavior resumes. Strangely, if I use INPA to clear the fault codes after shutting down, the problem does not occur on the next start, but does return on the following start.

I reset the adjustment motor adaptations with INPA and this does not seem to help. INPA shows code 2A82 Inlet VANOS (218) Moves with difficulty - jammed mechanically. Should I replace the adjustment motor?

I am frustrated that this short project is turning into a protracted affair, and want to be able to sell the car while the summer sun is still attracting 'vert buyers. I see a litany of folks with similar errors, but have not seen someone else report that unplugging the adjustment motor makes things OK.

Any tips?
I think that code is regarding the vanos solenoids not the VVT, but it wouldn't make sense that when unplugging the vvt the erratic idle would go away🤔. Unless when you unplug the VVT maybe the mapping changes to closed loop?

Have you tried pulling your vanos solenoids and giving them a quick clean and swapping them to see if the code moves from one to the other?

Just a thought

M
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
slas1990
Rep

Thanks for the suggestion - I will try cleaning the solenoids. The car has about 130K miles, so it may be time.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slas1990 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion - I will try cleaning the solenoids. The car has about 130K miles, so it may be time.
You may need to clean the solenoid filters as well.

It's possible that they're clogged if the oil hasn't been changed in a while.

You can access the filters from the passenger side wheel well. You'll probably need to remove the wheel. If you have the patience and can do it you may not need to remove the wheel but they're difficult to get to and impossible to see from the exhaust manifold side.

The filters need a torx bit to be removed and they can be cleaned fairly easily and although some say should be replaced as they're aluminum filters, I've read others just cleaned them with brake cleaner or similar and reused them.

If you do try remove them without taking the wheel off you'll probably need like a universal joint socket or similar swivel tool with extension to get to it. I tried doing it and found it impossible to see or feel around for it.

Best bet would be take the wheel off because if you drop something you're going to have another problem looking for it and may have to remove the under guard panel to get to it.

I should mention when removing the vanos solenoids, put a towel below them in case you drop something, also it will help prevent any oil falling onto the belts.

Just my two cents.

Maybe someone else can chime in who knows more about the code your car is throwing but I'd start there just to see if that does anything.

If you do find your solenoid is not working well or something, get bmw ones, I read a lot of posts when I changed mine about non bmw ones making things worse and ultimately people ended up just buying bmw ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
slas1990
Rep

Just a quick update - cleaning and swapping the VANOS solenoids did not impact the issue.

Still get the same inlet code.

Will try to replace the valvetronic motor next, as it's suspicious that things are better when it is unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Did you disconnect the solenoids during your repair? You don't usually have to but everyone does this repair differently.

Let's try not get confused and avoid using VVT in the context of BMW engines.
VVT in the general automotive context is variable valve timing.
VVT in the context of BMW is Valvetronic.

Your fault indicates a VANOS (variable valve timing) problem rather than Valvetronic.
However, it is mandatory to do a Valvetronic motor relearn after refitting the servomotor. I prefer doing this in ISTA/D but everyone has their own opinion. Some even swear by just cycling the key/ignition
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

You sure you didn't accidentally swap the VANOS solenoid connectors?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
wheelieguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i 328i

relearn

relearn by inserting key fob before starting engine. turn the ignition on without starting for 20-30 seconds then take the key out and let the car sleep for about five minutes, then start it up...
Appreciate 0