BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2024, 08:58 AM   #1
ndfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i m-sport

BMW 128i M-Sport: Low-Miles (<65k), Manual Transmission and Pristine Condition

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
SUMMARY:
This near-fully optioned 2012 BMW 128i M-Sport Convertible has less than 65k miles, no accident history, thorough maintenance, and pristine exterior and interior. This 128i M-Sport will remain garage parked (as it’s been) until sold, so mileage and condition should not change meaningfully. This 128i M-Sport’s drivetrain (engine, transmission and differential) has been well maintained, and does not consume any noticeable amount of oil/fluid/etc. The exterior, including the high-gloss “Shadowline” trim and “aero” bodywork specific to M-Sports, is in near showroom condition with virtually no noticeable scratches or other blemishes. The exterior has no known rust or dents, and the M-Sport “Style 207” wheels have no known scratches or curb rash. The non-smoker occupied interior, including its M-Sport steering wheel, seats, and factory upgraded leather package, is in like-new condition throughout.

This 128i M-Sport comes with extra equipment and records of thorough and proactive maintenance assembled during my 7-plus years of ownership. Pride-in-ownership means this 128i M-Sport comes with the following: 1. clean/clear title (in-hand), 2. all maintenance entries under my ownership (2017-2024), 3. approximately 100 pages of receipts for parts and service (2017-2024), 4. annual state emission and inspection records (2017-2024), 5. two keys, 6. custom-fitted car cover (new-in-box/never used), 7. third brake light (new-in-box/never used), 8. original grey poplar interior wood trim (replaced with glacier silver aluminum trim by preference), and 9. stock muffler (packed in BMW box from 128i M-Sport Performance Muffler that replaced it). Within the last 100 miles, BMW of Alexandria inspected and serviced this vehicle, and a professional detailer prepped the exterior, engine bay, and interior, making this 128i M-Sport ready to be the pride of a new owner.

Overall, this 128i M-Sport is a great opportunity to acquire an affordable automobile with a desirably unique set of options, interior and exterior in like-new condition, durable drivetrain, and thorough maintenance records.

CARE:
During my ownership, cosmetic and mechanical maintenance were performed well in advance of scheduled mileage intervals and ahead of any mechanical failures with OEM-level or better products. The engine oil and filter were changed less than every 1,500 miles on average. The battery, brake fluid, cabin air filter, and PCV valve have less than 100 miles on them. Tires have less than 1500 miles on them. Engine cooling system components (coolant, thermostat, water pump), serpentine belt system (drive belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley), ignition system (ignition coil packs and spark plugs), and engine air filter all have less than 7,500 miles on them. Drivetrain (differential and transmission) fluids have less than 9,000 miles on them. Scheduled maintenance for most aforementioned items also have time (vs mileage) service intervals, and available records provide dates of installation for reference. This 128i M-Sport was never used for autocross, track days or other aggressive driving, and my replacement of its previous tires was due to age not wear, owing to its easy and fair-weather driving history.

EXTERIOR:
The exterior of this 128i M-Sport is near-showroom condition. The exterior bodywork and paint appeared to be all original when I purchased this vehicle, and it has not been blemished during my ownership. While owning this 128i M-Sport, my wife and I have owned 2-3 other vehicles at the same time, and most work commutes have been by public transportation (train) or at home (telework), so this vehicle has seen minimal commutes and almost all sunny day weekend trips. Having rarely seen even a rainy day under my watch, this 128i M-Sport has no notable corrosion on the unibody, drivetrain, exhaust, subframe suspension components, and other underbody items. The aluminum alloy M-Sport “Style 207” wheels have no corrosion spots or curb rash. Lenses for the option xenon adaptive headlights are clear of sun damage. The front fascia is in amazing condition for this vehicle's age, and the rear fascia (possibly owing to the vehicle’s optional rear Park Distance Control) is in fantastic condition.

INTERIOR:
Its interior (including carpeting, headliner, leather seats and trim) is in overall like-new condition, and has been occupied by non-smokers during my ownership (and presumably before). The front seats feature three-stage heating, four-way lumbar support, and eight-way power adjustability. Besides bolstered sport seats, interior features of the M-Sport Package include door sills with tri-color M logo and an M-Sport steering wheel. Factory optioned assistance and convenience features include “Comfort Access” keyless entry, auto-dimming rear- and side-view mirrors, BMW Assist, universal garage-door opener, and anti-theft alarm. This 128i M-Sport features the optional iDrive in-car communications and entertainment system. Dry and sunny day usage along with the BMW fitted floormats have preserved the like-new condition of the interior carpet.

PERFORMANCE:
While not a sports car, this 128i M-Sport offers sporting features that distinguish it favorably from other convertibles in its class. While the convertible version slightly skews weight rearward, this automobile continued BMW’s hallmark of achieving near 50/50 front-to-rear weight distribution and notably lighter upfront than its 135i brethren. Hailed as BMW’s last great naturally aspirated (and possibly most reliable) engine, this 128i M-Sport’s 3.0-liter DOHC inline-6 N52 engine features Double-VANOS (variable valve timing), Valvetronic (variable valve lift), variable output oil pump, and an electric water pump. Its Getrag (GS6-17BG) manual transmission, which BMW also installed in bigger/heavier vehicles like the 3-Series (Euro-spec 323i/325i and US-spec 328i) and 5-Series (Euro-spec 523i/525i) of its era, is known for its durability and reliability. Similar to 128i M-Sport coupes, this vehicle’s suspension system is upgraded from the base model with a sport-tuned aluminum double-pivot strut front suspension with anti-roll bar paired with a five-link fully independent rear suspension with anti-roll bar connected to a staggered setup of 7x17 and 7.5x17 wheels at the front and rear respectively. The genuine BMW 128i Performance Muffler (Part# 18102208804) added during my ownership is unobtainable new and very difficult and expensive to acquire on the secondary market.

UNIQUENESS:
While clearly no exotic or specialty car, this 128i M-Sport still offers a hard-to-beat combination of individuality and uniqueness, especially for its price range. It is very hard to find a 128i M-Sport Convertible, let alone one with a manual transmission that has low miles, no accident history and so many maintenance records, which is why it took me so long and required me to travel so far (it resided in Florida since new) to acquire this vehicle over 7 years ago. According to a forum moderator who could decipher BMW VINs, BMW sold just 93 convertibles in 128i trim during the 2008-2013 model years with the same exterior (Space Grey Metallic) and interior (Oyster Boston Leather) combination, and only 2 of those 93 came with both the M-Sport Package and a manual transmission (so, this vehicle apparently 1 of 2 ever made in this spec). As part of the first, last, and only 128is BMW ever sold in the United States, this M-Sport is quite unique, and I think my particular automobile (with its low-mileage, clean history, desirable options, and meticulous records) is a great example.

Attached Images

Last edited by ndfan; 04-27-2024 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 12:41 PM   #2
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

Beautiful car !
Any photos with the top up ? Trying to visualize anthracite silver with space gray ...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 03:47 PM   #3
ndfan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1stgen View Post
Beautiful car !
Any photos with the top up ? Trying to visualize anthracite silver with space gray ...
Thanks for the compliment!

Here are some photos with the top up.

I took numerous pictures, so please feel free to let me know if you want to see something else.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:19 PM   #4
128iSeeker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

Whats the asking price?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 06:50 PM   #5
ndfan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128iSeeker View Post
Whats the asking price?
I don’t know, but a price that’s fair. I’m not trying to be difficult, but I haven’t found any good comps.

When I sold my IS300 SportCross (which are fairly uncommon), I easily found comparable listings to price my car accordingly. And it sold to a buyer who didn’t even bargain for a lower price.

If I don’t figure out a price and I still want to sell it, I’ll probably submit it for an online auction (either C&B or BAT).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:01 PM   #6
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
What you'll likely find as you search for comparables, is that in stick-shift cars the coupes will bring more money than a comparable convertible. Now M-sport stick convertibles are pretty rare, but the stick isn't always what a convertible buyer is looking for. If you use coupe pricing, you'll likely be high.

Now I'd happily add it to my BMW collection as a week-end car along with my other six convertibles, while I continue to drive my 2013 M-sport 6MT coupe as my daily driver for the rest of my life.

And we can't be more than 110-miles apart!

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 03:44 PM   #7
128iSeeker
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfan View Post
I don’t know, but a price that’s fair. I’m not trying to be difficult, but I haven’t found any good comps.

When I sold my IS300 SportCross (which are fairly uncommon), I easily found comparable listings to price my car accordingly. And it sold to a buyer who didn’t even bargain for a lower price.

If I don’t figure out a price and I still want to sell it, I’ll probably submit it for an online auction (either C&B or BAT).

Thanks.
Gotcha. Will keep an eye out if you decide on a price to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 01:09 PM   #8
mkeiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 128i 6mt m sport

Quote:

Thanks.
You've probably already seen these but figured I'd share them just in case.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3zP...8i-convertible
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KDV...8i-convertible
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...i-convertible/ (canadian market cars usually go lowered price due to associated import fee costs)
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-128-9/ (sale fell through)
2011 BMW 128i 6MT M Sport - Alpine White on Terracotta w/ Glacier-Silver trim - Koni Yellows w/ H&R Sport Springs, M3 Control Arms, Euro Intake, BMW Performance Exhaust, 3.73 Diff w/ RacingDiffs LSD Conversion, Black Line Taillights, M Performance Grilles, lots-o-maintenance
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 02:35 PM   #9
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

For the money you're going to get from this sale, you should keep it or perhaps sell/give to a family member. It will only gain value (in my opinion) if kept in good shape. I hate it, but verts just don't seem to bring the resale money. This thing is super clean, like new. Try BaT, and insist upon a Reserve that you'll be able to live with. It's a rare example, so should do well there. I have noticed that current sales prices on BaT are lower than usual on average - due to economy? my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 02:38 PM   #10
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

now . . . first dibs on that perf exhaust/muffler !
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 03:33 PM   #11
ndfan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Now M-sport stick convertibles are pretty rare, but the stick isn't always what a convertible buyer is looking for.

Good luck
After my boy was born, I still wanted a convertible with a manual transmission, NA engine, and sporting intentions (suspension, seats, etc.) to replace my S2000. But, when shopping months for one like mine, I got the impression that many 128i convertible buyers (especially the original purchasers) probably preferred automatics based on sheer numbers. Thanks for the good luck! Feel free to stop by and see it if you’re interested and in the area.

Last edited by ndfan; 05-02-2024 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 08:22 PM   #12
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Feel free to stop by and see it if you’re interested and in the area.
I might determine my interest if you can determine a price!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:46 PM   #13
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I might determine my interest if you can determine a price!

Yes, I too have an interest depending on price.

Can't decide if I want a trouble free 128 or an e46 m3, that will surely come with more problems but also more soul.

Joe
      05-02-2024, 10:07 PM   #14
128iSeeker
Registered
Rep

Do you have even a broad range you're considering? Or no decision whatsoever on price yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 06:46 AM   #15
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post
Can't decide if I want a trouble free 128 or an e46 m3, that will surely come with more problems but also more soul.
That is debatable! Sort of like claiming a 2002 has less soul just because it's over 100-horsepower less than a 128i.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:52 AM   #16
ndfan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeiser View Post
You've probably already seen these but figured I'd share them just in case.
Thanks for your effort to provide those links. Based on interest locally and even from family, I would have to draw straws on who could buy it if I listed it at the highest listing price of the sales you shared. The car definitely falls above those prices, but I’m honestly not sure where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt10768 View Post
For the money you're going to get from this sale, you should keep it or perhaps sell/give to a family member.
My parents saw the write-up on my car last week, and to my surprise, they expressed serious interest in buying it. Having it stay in the family is appealing.

Quote:
It will only gain value (in my opinion) if kept in good shape. This thing is super clean, like new. Try BaT, and insist upon a Reserve that you'll be able to live with. It's a rare example, so should do well there.
Thanks for the compliments! Yes, I think an online auction will be the way to go.

Quote:
now . . . first dibs on that perf exhaust/muffler !
Ha! You would not believe how many people selling a 128i with the performance muffler I contacted years ago to see if they would swap it out with my stock muffler before selling their car. Nobody took me up on my offer, so luckily, I eventually found one of the last new units in stock before they became unavailable.

Quote:
Can't decide if I want a trouble free 128 or an e46 m3, that will surely come with more problems but also more soul. Joe
I was in your shoes nearly 8 years ago when I was cross-shopping convertible versions of e46 M3s and 128i M-Sports. Regarding troublesome spots on that generation of M3s, I think (based on shopping years ago, so please forgive me if I’m mistaken) that the convertible version of the e46 M3 did not have the rear subframe unibody mounting issues as the coupe due to body reinforcements specific to the convertible. I suppose you’ve been weighing the pros and cons of each platform, and I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

Quote:
Yes, I too have an interest depending on price.
Yes, I really appreciate the interest here and would love to see my car go to a fellow enthusiast!

Regarding price, I think an auction is probably the best way to arrive at a fair price. If I post a price too low, I’ll regret leaving money on the table, and if I post a price too high, I’ll be roasted, which I’ve seen dampen ads and subsequent auctions. Between now and an auction, I’m sure there is a “sell-now” number that would halt my auction plans. Please feel free to PM me if you want to communicate more about the car, prices, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 09:11 AM   #17
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Just put on your big-boy pants and make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 08:52 AM   #18
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

you've got a better interior color, xenons and the HK stereo and the obvious 3rd pedal.

You also have nav/idrive (not sure if that adds or detracts value).

This is a fair bit lower milage though. That's BMW's value.

https://www.bmwofcapecod.com/used/BM...ource=cars.com